Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Another great story because of a great member (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=251160)

bnorth 02-10-2018 10:42 PM

Another great story because of a great member

1 Attachment(s)
I know this is not pre-war.:D I collect the famous 1989 Fleer Bill Ripken error card and many of its rare error versions. I post some of my pick ups in the proper section and another awesome member seen them. He went to an event tonight that Billy was speaking at and got this card signed for me.

The awesome member PMed me and asked if I would like something signed and to send it to him. He never asked for a single thing to do this very nice act for me.

There are some great people on this forum, Thank you Tony!

orly57 02-10-2018 11:44 PM

This is so great on so many levels. And I love the card.

horzverti 02-11-2018 12:05 AM

Very nice for that person to think of you. I like the “fish face.”

Stampsfan 02-11-2018 12:58 AM

Terrific story Ben.

Also pretty cool of Ripken to sign something that was making fun of a "card situation" he was in.

vintagebb2014 02-11-2018 05:54 AM

+1. Great story and an amazing member for keeping you in mind.

iowadoc77 02-11-2018 06:06 AM

Just awesome. And I think there are a lot of stories like this out there. I have had members contacting me wanting to help with my McGraw back run. Lots of good people looking out for others and their interests and collections. Very cool.

BruceinGa 02-11-2018 06:11 AM

Lol, that's great!!
This is what I love about this board!

Jay Wolt 02-11-2018 11:00 AM

Very cool card & even better gesture

orly57 02-11-2018 11:07 AM

I looked up the card because I thought it was so cool. The back of the card implies that Bart is to blame for writing "fishface" on the bat. If you look closely on the image, you will see Bart in the background holding a sharpie (the sharpie is covered up on this one with the middle of the "B" in "Ben"). It's from a1994 Skybox release. I really love this: especially for a guy who collects variations of that error card.

jp1216 02-11-2018 12:20 PM

Great job Tony! Way to help out a board member. Love stories like this!

Billy's legacy will always be the '89 Fleer card. I like the way he normally personalizes signatures with the phrase "Good Luck". The last 3 letters are a match to the knob of his bat on the '89 Fleer card. It was always his way of saying "Yeah, I did it" before he officially came out and admitted it.

bnorth 02-11-2018 04:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by orly57 (Post 1747137)
I looked up the card because I thought it was so cool. The back of the card implies that Bart is to blame for writing "fishface" on the bat. If you look closely on the image, you will see Bart in the background holding a sharpie (the sharpie is covered up on this one with the middle of the "B" in "Ben"). It's from a1994 Skybox release. I really love this: especially for a guy who collects variations of that error card.

Here is a picture I borrowed from a fellow members website.(Hi Jon) The common version on the left was distributed in the Simpsons comic book in 1994. The one on the right side is a fairly rare promo card. The one I got signed is a reprint copy of the rare card on the right. The reprint is on one thousandth of a inch thinner card stock and says REPRINT under the P4 Diamond on the card back.

chlankf 02-11-2018 06:39 PM

Just fantastic...