Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New SGC Look? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=188275)

Jason 05-21-2014 03:23 PM

New SGC Look?

I just went to log in and saw the new setup.Im looking it over now. It looks like the flips will indeed be changed.

glchen 05-21-2014 03:49 PM

It definitely looks sleeker. However, IMHO, it could still use some improvements:

(1) How do I look at my past submissions?
(2) There is an Auto Verify. How about a regular cert verify also?
(3) The Population report could still use a lot of fixing. First, you cannot search by year for the set that you want. Not sure why they removed this feature. Also the searches don't work very well. For example, I did a search on the set name e121-80, and it came up with no results found. Then I did e121, and it found a couple of sets, but no players were in these sets. If they allowed search by year, then at least you wouldn't have to guess at what could be the correct set name. Also when I did a search on Player Name for Babe Ruth, I got a long list of practically incomprehensible search results. I had to basically click on each link to try to find the ones that would be useful. Still, the look is better than before as it looks like the population search results are now sorted correctly, and you don't have to click on multiple pages to see the cards in the set. I think it's a good step in the right direction, overall.

Bosox Blair 05-21-2014 03:56 PM

Don't mind the graded cards one, but not a fan of the Authentic (auto) one.

Site looks good. Pop reports are now much easier to use, but still could be better. For instance, you can't type in T207 as the set...you have to type in Recruit. Similarly you can't type in M116...you have to type Sporting Life.

Cheers,
Blair

Bosox Blair 05-21-2014 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glchen (Post 1278630)
It definitely looks sleeker. However, IMHO, it could still use some improvements:

For example, I did a search on the set name e121-80, and it came up with no results found. Then I did e121, and it found a couple of sets, but no players were in these sets. If they allowed search by year, then at least you wouldn't have to guess at what could be the correct set name.

I think you'll have to type American Caramel to get the true results.

Cheers,
Blair

The Nasty Nati 05-21-2014 04:03 PM

Ugh not liking that they changed the authentication labels. The new design is going to throw off the aesthetic and uniformity of my old SGC holders when the new ones are placed next to them (now that the green border is gone). I don't know why they changed the label so "dramatically." At least when PSA redesigned their holders they didn't change the label design.

The OCD part of me doesn't like this new move. I wonder if for the time being you can still get the old label when grading your cards through SGC over the next few months.

But, atleast they are attempting to improve their website.

calvindog 05-21-2014 04:05 PM

Is there a place to check current submissions?

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 05-21-2014 04:34 PM

I still don't understand why I can't enter a serial number and find out what's it linked to.

Jay Wolt 05-21-2014 04:46 PM

Been on their site a few times today and was quite a shock to see all the changes.
Here's what the new flips look like

http://www.sgccard.com/images/slide3.jpg

Jay Wolt 05-21-2014 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 1278641)
Is there a place to check current submissions?

Jeff, been looking all day and I couldn't find it for past or current submission status.

Peter_Spaeth 05-21-2014 04:50 PM

Just from the pic those flips look very easy to counterfeit. Hopefully there is something on the back, or not visible, that would make that difficult.

bobbyw8469 05-21-2014 05:04 PM

I am not a fan of those flips......

Jason 05-21-2014 05:06 PM

Yeah im not a fan of the new flips. I just think they do not look as nice as the old ones. Maybe that will change once I get one in hand.

Tcards-Please 05-21-2014 05:10 PM

I'm not a fan of the new design either nor the loss of cards from my registry. Not quite sure how it doesn't transfer from the old to new? I'm hoping it will be a quick fix with an email.

r/
Frank

atx840 05-21-2014 05:11 PM

I can still see past submissions. First impression, not digging the new flip.

http://i.imgur.com/CwXpFQu.jpg

Bicem 05-21-2014 05:13 PM

can't wait to re-holder my collection with those god-awful flips!

kmac32 05-21-2014 05:14 PM

I have a card there currently for grading. Personally, I hope it has the old style flip on it. One of my things in having a graded collection is I want the cards to look like they go together. New flips kind of make my display appear less than desirable and now it would look like a mix of different graded cards. Might as well start mixing in some PSA cards and get the same appearance.

sebie43 05-21-2014 05:18 PM

I don't like the flips, they feel very generic to me, and as stated above it will stick out like a sore thumb in my collection. Thats my biggest impression, registry I can adjust to.. but this will take some time for me.

kmac32 05-21-2014 05:20 PM

Also found my user name and password do not work. I called and they said they still have some bugs to work out. Sometimes change is good but would recommend that you have the bugs worked out before you go live with a website

Jay Wolt 05-21-2014 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atx840 (Post 1278693)
I can still see past submissions. First impression, not digging the new flip.

http://i.imgur.com/CwXpFQu.jpg

Chris, where did you find the submission status?
I've been looking everywhere on their new site and didn't see it

sb1 05-21-2014 05:43 PM

Changing the flips is a major mistake in my opinion, as others have stated they have no resemblance to the current ones and will make sets and collections non-cohesive. At least when PSA makes changes to the flips they somewhat resemble the older ones. And just when I thought I might go ALL SGC with my set????

Blackie 05-21-2014 05:45 PM

not sure if I like those FLIPs at all.........Ive got a few sets im working on and about mid-way done. Wish there would have been a vote or something.

http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/...Eal1qbpu5t.gif

Peter_Spaeth 05-21-2014 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Wolt (Post 1278714)
Chris, where did you find the submission status?
I've been looking everywhere on their new site and didn't see it

Browne is so technologically hip he probably just hacked and reprogrammed the site. :D

GregMitch34 05-21-2014 05:50 PM

I think SGC is responsive to what's often posted here--and perhaps it's too late in this case--but near-universal disdain for the new flips might have some effect. So keep it up. I agree that some will say the hell with them now that the look won't even come close to matching the old...

Gobucsmagic74 05-21-2014 05:53 PM

Love SGC, hate the news flips. This may cost them my business

Blackie 05-21-2014 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregMitch34 (Post 1278722)
I think SGC is responsive to what's often posted here--and perhaps it's too late in this case--but near-universal disdain for the new flips might have some effect. So keep it up. I agree that some will say the hell with them now that the look won't even come close to matching the old...

Greg I hope you are right. I liked the old flip quite a bit. Kinda had a museum quality to it in my opinion. May give ole Earl a call tomorrow and see if the new design is the final verdict.

Blackie 05-21-2014 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 (Post 1278726)
Love SGC, hate the news flips. This may cost them my business

Dan I wonder if they changed the back of the holder to add some type of hologram or something different to stop fakes? The new website design is great but the holder not so much. I have a submission on its way back now.......hoping they used the older flip.:(

Gobucsmagic74 05-21-2014 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackie (Post 1278728)
Dan I wonder if they changed the back of the holder to add some type of hologram or something different to stop fakes? The new website design is great but the holder not so much. I have a submission on its way back now.......hoping they used the older flip.:(

Whether they have a hologram or not the design is just aesthetically unappealing and, like others have mentioned, it disrupts any uniformity with former SGC slabs. Sometimes change is good, but unfortunately not in this case.

sgbernard 05-21-2014 06:02 PM

Same as others, I like SGC, but I'm not a fan of the new flips at all. The green border was sharp and elegant with the black background. And anyone working on a set will not like having mixed flips from now on...

Blackie 05-21-2014 06:04 PM

Just sent an email to Earl and Sean (ejohnson@sgccard.com and sskeffington@sgccard.com to see if they could read our posts and concerns.

Leon 05-21-2014 06:06 PM

There will be an archived submission status very, very soon(if not already there). It is the last thing to be populated to the new site. There are watermarks on the new flips that can't be seen from scans. They are much more difficult to counterfeit or reproduce and are much safer. This info from Sean Skeffington their VP of operations.

I haven't given much thought to the flips yet but off hand they don't look that bad. They won't be like all of my others but I am not sure I care. I know I am in the minority so far and everyone is entitled to my opinion :) .

I should add that although the new flips don't look bad, the old ones are much more attractive.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 05-21-2014 06:07 PM

SGC had the best looking holders on the market. Those flips change that in my mind.

ValKehl 05-21-2014 06:10 PM

IMHO, the old flips have a much classier look than the new flips. It always amazes me how a seemingly-unnecessary business decision can have a real negative effect on a company's business.
Val

Blackie 05-21-2014 06:10 PM

Leon thanks for the information.........do you know if the watermarks are visible?

Leon 05-21-2014 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackie (Post 1278745)
Leon thanks for the information.........do you know if the watermarks are visible?

I was out when Sean left the voice mail but my understanding is yes they are visible in person but not from a scan. Don't hold my feet to the fire but I am pretty sure he said they are visible in person.

atx840 05-21-2014 06:12 PM

I recall seeing this flip prior and thinking it was just a mockup. Hopefully they can change it back, need the green border.

Registry hack :D
http://69.95.102.243/sgcweb/SignIn.aspx

Blackie 05-21-2014 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1278746)
I was out when Sean left the voice mail but my understanding is yes they are visible in person but not from a scan. Don't hold my feet to the fire but I am pretty sure he said they are visible in person.

Roger that brother.........thanks Leon! I always enjoy talking with Sean and Earl. I still believe they have the best customer service out there!

GregMitch34 05-21-2014 06:41 PM

Yes, if they put a green border back on it might be acceptable even with new typeface etc.

Blackie 05-21-2014 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregMitch34 (Post 1278761)
Yes, if they put a green border back on it might be acceptable even with new typeface etc.

I agree!!! Good point

MW1 05-21-2014 06:46 PM

Not liking the new labels at all...have to agree with the other 99% of collectors here. They look like something that was designed and printed quickly, without much thought given to proper aesthetics or the value of brand-name recognition. SGC really should have gotten more customer feedback before going forward with this.

the 'stache 05-21-2014 06:53 PM

Wait, what the hell?

Horrible, horrible business decision. I will never own a card with this new flip. It's a real eyesore. If I find a card I like, I will send it in to PSA as a crossover.

I have ten cards that I was about to submit to SGC for grading, and several crossovers to follow. If that's the flip they're using, forget it. I'll go to PSA for all my card grading. That's too bad, too, because I've always heard SGC has the best customer service.

Why the heck would they do this? One of the biggest selling points about SGC graded cards was the eye appeal of the slabbed card. The flip they've had popped. It looked really good. This new one looks like something I'd print out on my home computer.

sforaker 05-21-2014 06:57 PM

New flip sucks

I do not like new flip. Looks like generic home computer job.

Kenny Cole 05-21-2014 06:59 PM

Agree, the new flips suck. Also don't like that checking current and past submissions doesn't currently appear to be possible. Maybe the pop reports and registry information is better. I don't know because I haven't checked, but the new flips and inability to check submission status are a massive step backward IMO.

The Nasty Nati 05-21-2014 06:59 PM

Keep the new watermark but bring back the green borders. That will make everything better. If they don't change the new look I'd wish they'd at least give us a few months to have cards graded with the old labels, as I'm so close to finishing subsets that are all in the now "old" SGC label. That or give loyal customers a discount on re-holdering fees.

Love the company, but this doesn't seem like a very smart move.

sforaker 05-21-2014 06:59 PM

Only beneficiary of this new flip ... PSA.

Rich Klein 05-21-2014 06:59 PM

At a show, those designs will not stick out. They need to be more colorful.

Say what you want about Beckett grading but the Gold and Silver labels truly stand out at a show. These labels look like they belong to a PRO or an MGS

Rich

Bugsy 05-21-2014 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Klein (Post 1278779)
These labels look like they belong to a PRO or an MGS

That is exactly what I was thinking. They look like they were produced by one of the generic "companies" that only slab fake material.

the 'stache 05-21-2014 07:08 PM

I don't get this. The presentation SGC had with the black gasket, the professional, well-organized flip with the green header, everything looked incredible.

Why do they feel the need to mess with perfection?

This is going to bite them in the behind.

e107collector 05-21-2014 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Klein (Post 1278779)
These labels look like they belong to a PRO or an MGS

Rich

Ditto.

I don't like the new labels. I agree they should use an enhanced watermark on the flip for security measures, but bring back the green border.

Tony

vintagebaseballcardguy 05-21-2014 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Wolt (Post 1278670)
Been on their site a few times today and was quite a shock to see all the changes.
Here's what the new flips look like

http://www.sgccard.com/images/slide3.jpg

Looks like something I could make at home on my printer. Why??!!

Matt E. 05-21-2014 07:31 PM

SGC,

A fix or two needed; on the SGC Power Ratings

The Wallace, No Cap One Line of 1910 Stats, is clearly harder to obtain the the Two Lines. The SGC power rating is wrong.

209 Bobby Wallace (No Cap, Two Lines Of 1910 Stats) 3
210 Bobby Wallace (No Cap, One Line Of 1910 Stats) 1

Thanks,

Matt E.