Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Mickey Mantle Cut Mounting Question (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=244486)

Sophiedog 09-03-2017 03:11 PM

Mickey Mantle Cut Mounting Question

Hi: I have a question that maybe some of you guys can answer. I have a couple of Mickey Mantle cuts from the 1950's that I want to get slabbed. I know they're authentic but want to be able to display them. The problem is they are pretty small...so what I was thinking of doing was to mount the autograph cut to a larger piece of paper or cardboard; and then have PSA slab it in say a 5x7 slab. I don't want to ruin the autograph cut so how would I mount the cut to another piece of paper or cardboard? I was thinking a couple of drops of glue but would that wreck the original cut value?
Thanks for any input.
Hope I made sense...lol.

Duluth Eskimo 09-03-2017 03:51 PM

I have done this numerous times with cuts to 3x5 cards to have them display better prior to selling them. I rarely get anything slabbed, but I agree that it looks much better with the extra background on it. I generally just use a decent 3x5. I would recommend using something non permanent and acid free so it doesn't hurt the original piece or signature. By using just some glue you run the risk of have a stain or discoloration come through you original paper with signature.

Sophiedog 09-03-2017 04:09 PM

Hi Jason: How did you get the cut from slipping on the mount? Is the piece inside of a 3x5 screw down holder so the case itself holds the piece in place?

RichardSimon 09-03-2017 06:52 PM

If you use photo corners you won't damage the cut.

Duluth Eskimo 09-04-2017 02:25 PM

Photo corners would be least restrictive, but I assume you want to have nothing detracting from it visually. I generally use something that has light sticking properties. I have used an acid free glue stick. Anything that could be easily released if someone chose to want to remove it, it would be easy to do. The glue stick might be a good option for you, you really don't need much at all.

Sophiedog 09-04-2017 10:17 PM

Thanks Jason and Richard. Great info...

Mr. Zipper 09-05-2017 09:15 AM

If you put it in a 3x5 mylar sleeve, would they encase it inside the sleeve? It may move around slightly, but the safest from an archival perspective.

Sophiedog 09-05-2017 05:07 PM

Steve: That's good to know as well. I'll ask them if I decide to get the sigs slabbed.
Thanks!

Bestdj777 09-05-2017 05:14 PM

I would send them to the Jose Canseco mustache guy and have a custom mount made for them. He does great work, and you could probably get it slabbed in his piece. If I had important cuts that's where I'd go.

Sophiedog 09-05-2017 05:17 PM

Haha...How's the Jose Canseco mustache guy?

Sophiedog 09-05-2017 06:32 PM

Meant to say Who is the Jose Canseco mustache guy?

alifaxwa2 09-06-2017 06:47 AM

There are lots of acid free, archival safe glues you could use to mount the cut to an IC or acid free paper.

Another option I have done once or twice creates a cut window without actually gluing the signature down this requires 3 ICs; But can easily be broken apart to remove cut without damaging.

Middle IC: Lay your cut on an IC. Trace the outer edge. Cut out the window. This makes a hole for the cut to lay flat in.
Bottom IC: A regular IC.
Top IC: Cut a window smaller than the cut, to frame signature as desired.

Glue the Middle to the bottom by gluing along the edges. Set the signature in the hole. Apply glue to edges of middle IC. Place Top IC on top.

Or you can send them to a custom card builder to have a designed card.
I make customs too (see my signature below).

The Jose Canseco mustache guy referenced in a previous post is Mouschi.

Bestdj777 09-06-2017 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alifaxwa2 (Post 1698303)

Thanks. I couldn't recall Tanners' name on here. Alifaxwa2 is another good option. :)

Sophiedog 09-06-2017 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alifaxwa2 (Post 1698303)
There are lots of acid free, archival safe glues you could use to mount the cut to an IC or acid free paper.

Another option I have done once or twice creates a cut window without actually gluing the signature down this requires 3 ICs; But can easily be broken apart to remove cut without damaging.

Middle IC: Lay your cut on an IC. Trace the outer edge. Cut out the window. This makes a hole for the cut to lay flat in.
Bottom IC: A regular IC.
Top IC: Cut a window smaller than the cut, to frame signature as desired.

Glue the Middle to the bottom by gluing along the edges. Set the signature in the hole. Apply glue to edges of middle IC. Place Top IC on top.

Jeffrey: You do some really nice work! I'll try it and if I don't like what it looks like I'll know where to send them
Thanks for the tips!