Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Hockey, Olympic, Auto Racing And All Other Cards (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   My Bobby Orr "Stuff" (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=244589)

jb217676 09-05-2017 07:00 PM

My Bobby Orr "Stuff"

Dale, here's what I've been able to put together for Orr in the last couple of years:

http://imageevent.com/jeffintoronto/...tt8p1cr1.cat_s

If you guys have anything you think I might be interested in adding to the collection shoot me a PM!

Peter_Spaeth 09-05-2017 08:36 PM

Completely unimpressive, Jeff. :D;):eek:

yankeesjetsfan 09-06-2017 09:15 AM

Wow, what an awesome Orr collection. I actually never knew he was a Blackhawk at the end of his career. I always assumed he was a Bruin for his whole career.

Mike

CW 09-06-2017 09:59 AM

Impressive! Thanks for sharing.

Peter_Spaeth 09-06-2017 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yankeesjetsfan (Post 1698354)
Wow, what an awesome Orr collection. I actually never knew he was a Blackhawk at the end of his career. I always assumed he was a Bruin for his whole career.

Mike

That wasn't Bobby Orr, it was some other guy named Orr with ravaged knees.

steve B 09-06-2017 01:50 PM

And he was still a pretty decent player even with bad knees.

Peter_Spaeth 09-06-2017 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 1698479)
And he was still a pretty decent player even with bad knees.

I thought he only played a few games in Chicago and then retired.

irv 09-06-2017 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb217676 (Post 1698180)
Dale, here's what I've been able to put together for Orr in the last couple of years:

http://imageevent.com/jeffintoronto/...tt8p1cr1.cat_s

If you guys have anything you think I might be interested in adding to the collection shoot me a PM!

Incredible collection, Jeff!

Thanks for sharing. :)

Stampsfan 09-15-2017 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1698506)
I thought he only played a few games in Chicago and then retired.

He did only play in 20 games, and might have even missed a year too, I think. From what I recall, when the Bruins wouldn't commit to Orr, Chicago stepped up with a $500,000 per year offer, which may have been the largest annual contract at the time.

Of course, I was a kid then, and that was a long time ago... ;)

Butch7999 09-15-2017 04:47 PM

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/o/orrbo01.html

kid4hof03 09-17-2017 07:20 PM

Incredible collection!

jb67 09-18-2017 12:14 PM

Wow!!!! Well done.

scottzoe 09-18-2017 01:06 PM

Great collection, Orr was my first sports hero and still one of my favorites!

Scott

jb217676 12-11-2017 10:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got a couple more cool Orr pieces...

First is a 1970's Bobby Orr Promotional Card that I've never seen before. While it appears to be the same shot of Bobby used in the Rally campaign, the key difference is that this card is black & white (versus the more popular colour version) & the dimensions are smaller (5" x 7" vs. 6" x 9"). This version also has a blank back (the colour version features a printed promo call out for Rally Sports). Sweet!

Also grabbed this 1976 OPC Orr card with a crazy print defect that gives the appearance of flames on his jersey. I love the weird stuff!

irv 12-12-2017 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb217676 (Post 1728738)

First is a 1970's Bobby Orr Promotional Card that I've never seen before. While it appears to be the same shot of Bobby used in the Rally campaign, the key difference is that this card is black & white (versus the more popular colour version) & the dimensions are smaller (5" x 7" vs. 7" x 9"). This version also has a blank back (the colour version features a printed promo call out for Rally Sports). Sweet!

Also grabbed this 1976 OPC Orr card with a crazy print defect that gives the appearance of flames on his jersey. I love the weird stuff!

Very nice, Jeff! :)

samosa4u 12-13-2017 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampsfan (Post 1701336)
From what I recall, when the Bruins wouldn't commit to Orr, Chicago stepped up with a $500,000 per year offer, which may have been the largest annual contract at the time.

No, that's not what happened. The Bruins were willing to commit to Orr; they were even willing to offer him a percentage of the team, but Alan Eagleson, who represented him and was trusted a lot by the family, told Orr that they were not and to just sign with Chicago. Eagleson actually had friends within the Blackhawks organization, so he wanted to do them a favor by giving them Orr. He was a real POS who took advantage of many people.

Peter_Spaeth 12-13-2017 12:20 PM

Talk about a short career, he was basically through at 26, in a sport where many of the greats last until their early 40s.

Stampsfan 12-13-2017 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb217676 (Post 1728738)

I hear Orr cards are on fire right now...

TUM301 12-17-2017 08:28 AM

Robert Gordon !!!

Awesome collection of the greatest of all time. Being a New England guy and a Boston sports fan for 50+ years, feel pretty comfortable in saying Orr was the most beloved Boston athlete ever. Ice arenas were built all over N England as a direct result of Orr and the "Big Bad Bruins". Bird, Big Papi and now Tom Brady have all come and electrified the fans and rekindled and increased new fan interest, but they`ll never be another Bobby Orr. Back in the day, "old man alert', you had to actually work to follow the team, late night west coast radio games, channel 38 etc etc as opposed to I phones/red zone channel and 24 hour network T V. Bright candles burn quicker and Bobby was THE brightest. As much as sports titan he always remained humble, accessible and ever the gentleman. To add on to the Eagleson comment, I think I read were Derrick Sanderson, wow the Turk, once asked Bobby why he didn`t take the B`s offer for a % of the team. Orr replied "he(Eagleson) never told me about it".

irv 12-17-2017 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TUM301 (Post 1730235)
Awesome collection of the greatest of all time. Being a New England guy and a Boston sports fan for 50+ years, feel pretty comfortable in saying Orr was the most beloved Boston athlete ever. Ice arenas were built all over N England as a direct result of Orr and the "Big Bad Bruins". Bird, Big Papi and now Tom Brady have all come and electrified the fans and rekindled and increased new fan interest, but they`ll never be another Bobby Orr. Back in the day, "old man alert', you had to actually work to follow the team, late night west coast radio games, channel 38 etc etc as opposed to I phones/red zone channel and 24 hour network T V. Bright candles burn quicker and Bobby was THE brightest. As much as sports titan he always remained humble, accessible and ever the gentleman. To add on to the Eagleson comment, I think I read were Derrick Sanderson, wow the Turk, once asked Bobby why he didn`t take the B`s offer for a % of the team. Orr replied "he(Eagleson) never told me about it".

I know Eagleson ripped off/cheated Orr out of millions but does anyone know if Bobby Orr has ever recovered financially, somewhat, from all that?

I know he likely isn't hurting for money, at least I hope not, but does anyone know if he has recovered from all that and can now call himself a millionaire?

Edit: Found my answer, which I guess I should have just done myself before asking. :o
https://www.thefamouspeople.com/prof...on-orr-901.php

hcv123 01-30-2018 05:44 AM

Awesome collection. Sad story. So where's the 1971 bazooka?

jb217676 01-30-2018 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hcv123 (Post 1743298)
Awesome collection. Sad story. So where's the 1971 bazooka?

It's on the list, need to come into some SERIOUS cash for one of those!

irv 02-02-2018 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb217676 (Post 1743371)

I'm sure Larry would sell you his, Jeff. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsSuQ7wpu9Y

Peter_Spaeth 02-02-2018 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb217676 (Post 1743371)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Bazook...kAAOSw1LRZrdR4

Peter_Spaeth 02-02-2018 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TUM301 (Post 1730235)

I think Papi or Bird would give him a run for his money. A lot of people don't follow hockey even in Boston.

samosa4u 02-03-2018 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 1744286)
I'm sure Larry would sell you his, Jeff. :D

He sold it.

jb217676 02-04-2018 06:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's another addition to my Orr collection. It's a 1969-70 Team Issued Photo Signed by Bobby Orr in vintage ball-point pen.

jb217676 02-10-2018 06:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a 1974 O-Pee-Chee #2 Assist Leaders miscut card showing a row
of stars from the left edge of the sheet.

rgpete 02-11-2018 03:20 PM

Missing the Bobby Orr jigsaw puzzle

irv 02-13-2018 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb217676 (Post 1744890)
Here's another addition to my Orr collection. It's a 1969-70 Team Issued Photo Signed by Bobby Orr in vintage ball-point pen.

Great P/U's again, Jeff! :)

jb217676 02-23-2018 03:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Dale! Here's another cool Orr card I got yesterday. It's a 1971 Topps Bobby Orr card with a Wet Sheet Transfer. I've never seen an Orr card with a wet sheet transfer, grabbed it from ebay as soon as it was listed!

Exhibitman 02-25-2018 09:26 AM

Love the 71 error card! I have a 72 Killebrew like that. Very striking.

My only somewhat cool Orr piece:

https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibi...P%20photo.jpeg

1970 AP shapshot sized photo.

I did get some nice Orr news yesterday: my 1972 that I bought raw at the National got a PSA 7 grade.

Huysmans 05-19-2018 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1744445)
I think Papi or Bird would give him a run for his money. A lot of people don't follow hockey even in Boston.

To be fair though... there's also people in Boston that don't follow or care about basketball.

A Boston Globe poll of New Englanders in 1975 ranked Orr as "The greatest athlete in Boston history", and granted, while this did occur at the height of his career, he still topped all-time Beantown legends Williams, Russell, Yaz, Cousy and others.
While it's difficult to compare different eras, I'd say his popularity all-time definitely surpasses Bird and Ortiz.

Exhibitman 05-20-2018 12:10 PM

Since I don't like to pay up for Orr cards, I pick up his early stuff in lower grades. This was ten bucks at the National:

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibit...opps%20Orr.jpg

The scanner makes it look worse than it is.

AGuinness 05-22-2018 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huysmans (Post 1778355)
To be fair though... there's also people in Boston that don't follow or care about basketball.

A Boston Globe poll of New Englanders in 1975 ranked Orr as "The greatest athlete in Boston history", and granted, while this did occur at the height of his career, he still topped all-time Beantown legends Williams, Russell, Yaz, Cousy and others.
While it's difficult to compare different eras, I'd say his popularity all-time definitely surpasses Bird and Ortiz.

I'm a huge Orr fan, but I'd find it hard to believe that his popularity would rival Ortiz at this point - after the WS championships, his final season and especially his speech after the marathon bombings, dropping the f-bomb and getting away with it and all.

And that's not to mention another athlete whose popularity might surpass Orr's, Tom Brady... From my viewpoint, Orr would come after those two.

Huysmans 05-24-2018 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGuinness (Post 1779413)
I'm a huge Orr fan, but I'd find it hard to believe that his popularity would rival Ortiz at this point - after the WS championships, his final season and especially his speech after the marathon bombings, dropping the f-bomb and getting away with it and all.

And that's not to mention another athlete whose popularity might surpass Orr's, Tom Brady... From my viewpoint, Orr would come after those two.

The only problem with this thinking is the fact that Ortiz wouldn't even be the most famous Boston BASEBALL player... With that honour completely owned by Williams. As previously mentioned, the Boston Globe poll found Orr to be even more popular than Williams. And while both Ortiz and Brady are arguably more popular now due to their contemporary careers... as time passes, their stars will fade somewhat. On the other hand, Orr's legacy is completely cemented in Beantown for generations to come.

AGuinness 05-24-2018 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huysmans (Post 1779966)
The only problem with this thinking is the fact that Ortiz wouldn't even be the most famous Boston BASEBALL player... With that honour completely owned by Williams. As previously mentioned, the Boston Globe poll found Orr to be even more popular than Williams. And while both Ortiz and Brady are arguably more popular now due to their contemporary careers... as time passes, their stars will fade somewhat. On the other hand, Orr's legacy is completely cemented in Beantown for generations to come.

I don't think there's a problem at all, most famous or most popular, I'd be willing to bet that David Ortiz tops Ted Williams for Boston baseball players in a hypothetical poll conducted today. That isn't to say that Ortiz was a better baseball player, just that people would rank Ortiz higher in popularity or fame.

And I don't get why the careers of Brady and Ortiz, one which recently ended and the other which is still going, would fade somewhat while Orr's is completely cemented. Both careers of Brady and Ortiz are hardened more than cement, they've been diamonded (if that's a word). One is considered a candidate for GOAT QB who has more rings than any other player, the other broke the silly "Curse of the Bambino," while serving as the face of Boston's more popular franchise.

No doubt the hockey fanatics in Boston adore Orr, as do I. But the Sox have historically been more popular, with the Patriots currently running in lead as the most popular Boston sports team in recent years (here's a recent poll to support that: http://www.salemnews.com/who-is-your...fd93802d4.html). Combine the popularity of the Sox with Ortiz's role on the team, his media-friendly personality, the era that he played in (24-hour news cycle), the Boston Marathon speech and recency bias (Orr last took the ice for the Bruins more than 40 years ago and the poll listing him above Williams was taken around that time), I don't think it would be even close today between Ortiz and Orr.

The great part is that there is a debate, as these players are all incredible Boston icons and also icons in their respective sports.

Huysmans 05-24-2018 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGuinness (Post 1780006)
I don't think there's a problem at all, most famous or most popular, I'd be willing to bet that David Ortiz tops Ted Williams for Boston baseball players in a hypothetical poll conducted today. That isn't to say that Ortiz was a better baseball player, just that people would rank Ortiz higher in popularity or fame.

And I don't get why the careers of Brady and Ortiz, one which recently ended and the other which is still going, would fade somewhat while Orr's is completely cemented. Both careers of Brady and Ortiz are hardened more than cement, they've been diamonded (if that's a word). One is considered a candidate for GOAT QB who has more rings than any other player, the other broke the silly "Curse of the Bambino," while serving as the face of Boston's more popular franchise.

No doubt the hockey fanatics in Boston adore Orr, as do I. But the Sox have historically been more popular, with the Patriots currently running in lead as the most popular Boston sports team in recent years (here's a recent poll to support that: http://www.salemnews.com/who-is-your...fd93802d4.html). Combine the popularity of the Sox with Ortiz's role on the team, his media-friendly personality, the era that he played in (24-hour news cycle), the Boston Marathon speech and recency bias (Orr last took the ice for the Bruins more than 40 years ago and the poll listing him above Williams was taken around that time), I don't think it would be even close today between Ortiz and Orr.

The great part is that there is a debate, as these players are all incredible Boston icons and also icons in their respective sports.

With all due respect... I find it beyond improbable that Ortiz would be more popular in Boston than Ted Williams... ever, and under ANY circumstance.
You do make good points about Brady though...

Except the "GOAT" part, which is more a slight on that corny, completely overused and abused acronym than it is regarding Brady's accomplishments or skill level. :D

I still believe Orr would be the most popular Beantown athlete though...

AGuinness 05-24-2018 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huysmans (Post 1780034)
With all due respect... I find it beyond improbable that Ortiz would be more popular in Boston than Ted Williams... ever, and under ANY circumstance.
You do make good points about Brady though...

Except the "GOAT" part, which is more a slight on that corny, completely overused and abused acronym than it is regarding Brady's accomplishments or skill level. :D

I still believe Orr would be the most popular Beantown athlete though...

GOAT is corny, abused and completely cliche, no doubt, although I'd never outright claim any player deserves it outright - it's always "in the discussion" because I think discussion is more fun. :) Brady is for sure in that discussion.

And I'm not saying anybody being the most popular is "right" or anything, I just know that a lot of people today seem to be fickle enough that they focus on what is new or most recent, especially if they never got to watch Orr or Williams or some of the greats from the past. I wouldn't be surprised if more people in a large cross-section of Boston sports fans could identify Rob Gronkowski than Bobby Orr. Hence popularity or famous, but this includes a wide swath of fans from the general public. And that doesn't mean I'd rank Gronk over Orr, just the opposite on my list, but I'm talking about the overall Boston fandom population today.

Huysmans 05-24-2018 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGuinness (Post 1780041)
GOAT is corny, abused and completely cliche, no doubt, although I'd never outright claim any player deserves it outright - it's always "in the discussion" because I think discussion is more fun. :) Brady is for sure in that discussion.

And I'm not saying anybody being the most popular is "right" or anything, I just know that a lot of people today seem to be fickle enough that they focus on what is new or most recent, especially if they never got to watch Orr or Williams or some of the greats from the past. I wouldn't be surprised if more people in a large cross-section of Boston sports fans could identify Rob Gronkowski than Bobby Orr. Hence popularity or famous, but this includes a wide swath of fans from the general public. And that doesn't mean I'd rank Gronk over Orr, just the opposite on my list, but I'm talking about the overall Boston fandom population today.

I get what you're claiming...
I went to both Boston Sports Collectors shows last year at the Shriners in Wilmington, and while that is no measurement for the general Boston sports fan, I can honestly say that I don't remember seeing ONE Gronk item... I saw a lot of Orr stuff (probably the most for a single player), a lot of Red Sox and Williams items (obviously) and a lot of Brady and Patriot items. Very little Ortiz. To be fair though, I'm probably somewhat biased in what I saw, as I'm much more of a hockey fan. I can also say that the most popular jersey I saw rocked by attendees at the show WASN'T Orr... or Williams .... or Ortiz....
It was definitely Brady. That I remember.

FourStrikes 05-24-2018 07:00 PM

JMO, but I'd put BIRD and Russell up there with Teddy Ballgame, Brady and Orr!

regardless of sport, icons all...

again, JMO.

jb217676 05-27-2018 06:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Another addition to my Orr collection...

jb217676 06-07-2018 04:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a real nice 1966 J.D. McCarthy Bobby Orr

jb217676 06-16-2018 05:25 AM

2 Attachment(s)
1971 Bobby Orr Autographed Linen Calendar Order Form. A tough Orr piece to locate, happy to find this one on ebay a couple of weeks ago!

kid4hof03 06-16-2018 07:14 PM

I'm not a hockey collector or even fan for that matter, but I really love this thread and seeing your collection. My collection is made up mostly of a few in depth player collections, I really appreciate how diverse and in depth your collection goes. Thanks for sharing it!

irv 06-18-2018 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kid4hof03 (Post 1787268)
I'm not a hockey collector or even fan for that matter, but I really love this thread and seeing your collection. My collection is made up mostly of a few in depth player collections, I really appreciate how diverse and in depth your collection goes. Thanks for sharing it!

Jeff's collection is something to be envied. Although I love everything he has and would love to own smidgen of it, I am always amazed at his Orr pickups/collection. :)

jb217676 06-18-2018 09:28 PM

Thanks for the kind words Abe & Dale! I've got another Orr item coming in the mail that I've never seen before, stay tuned...

jb217676 06-23-2018 07:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Found this blue border patch of Bobby Orr on ebay, only blue border variation I've ever seen! I've included a photo of the common yellow border version of this patch offered through the Orr fan club in 1973 for comparison, the history of the Blue border variation is unknown!

irv 06-24-2018 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb217676 (Post 1789142)
Found this blue border patch of Bobby Orr on ebay, only blue border variation I've ever seen! I've included a photo of the common yellow border version of this patch offered through the Orr fan club in 1973 for comparison, the history of the Blue border variation is unknown!

Another great pick up, Jeff.

Congrats. :)

mullings 07-04-2018 09:38 AM

bobby orr

2 Attachment(s)
I'm not an avid collector but picked up these over the years
Attachment 321892

Attachment 321893