Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Bowl Game of the Day - Names not Teams (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=263316)

frankbmd 12-15-2018 07:09 AM

Bowl Game of the Day - Names not Teams

Forget tradition in bowl game naming, the era of corporate naming sponsorship is in full bloom this year.

As a public service to forum members, the following schedule of bowl games will consist only of the most obscurely named bowl game each day of the bowl season. No consideration is given to teams involved in these games in the creation of this list.

December 15th - Today, in the interest of obscureity we honor the

Autonation CURE Bowl

December 18th - No contest on Tuesday, but a deserving winner. Personally I don’t have one or even know what a cheribundi is. I’m eager to learn at the

Cheribundi Boca Raton Bowl

December 19th - Another uncontested day with the unanimous winner being the

DXL Frisco Bowl

December 20th - Thursday marks the third shutout in a row with the

Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl

Who knew pirates were into landscaping on the side?

After this week the competition really heats up as the bowling season rolls into high gear. Stay tuned for the BOWL GAME OF THE DAY, until thankfully it’s over sometime in January I think, with Alabama winning again.:eek:

Peter_Spaeth 12-15-2018 08:35 AM

I thought everyone knew this.

Cheribundi is a private company which sells a functional brand of cherry juice beverages. The company was founded in 2004 by John Davey under the name CherryPharm, and later rebranded to Cheribundi in 2012.

barrysloate 12-15-2018 09:06 AM

I spend the winter in Boca Raton, that's my second home. Have to admit I've never heard of this. I see it's at FAU, as I expected. No place else to play a bowl game in Boca.

clydepepper 12-15-2018 09:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Back to the International Corn-Hole Championships.

...and RSP league games and Stare-Down Tournaments.

still looking for:

Attachment 337468

Butch7999 12-15-2018 10:56 AM

Forty-five years ago, we thought the Astro-Bluebonnet Bowl had already established
a nadir for goofy Bowl game names. Really?, a bowl game named for space margarine?
Little did we suspect what was to follow. Although we're still waiting for American Standard
to sponsor the Toilet Bowl...

frankbmd 12-15-2018 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1836226)
I thought everyone knew this.

Cheribundi is a private company which sells a functional brand of cherry juice beverages. The company was founded in 2004 by John Davey under the name CherryPharm, and later rebranded to Cheribundi in 2012.

I generally prefer non-functional brands of cherry juice beverages.

gopherfan 12-17-2018 09:52 AM

Is Bad Boy mowers in the south? I live in MN, and I have never heard of them.

frankbmd 12-21-2018 07:53 AM

Hope you all enjoyed the Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl as much as I did.

12/20 - Famous Idaho Potato Bowl is my choice. Hopefully the result will not be infamous.

12/21 - Dollar General Bowl - I wonder how much the cheap seats cost for this one.

12/26 - Cheezit Bowl - be sure to have a good supply of beer to wash this one down.

12/27 - Academy Sports & Outdoors Texas Bowl - This was a tough choice with strong competition from the Walk-ons Independence Bowl (does this one feature colleges without athletic scholarships?). If it's a rainy day in Houston, the Academy Sports and Outdoors Bowl will be played Indoors at NRG Stadium. However I see that over 4000 seats are available in Houston for as little as $3.00 each. Perhaps these seats are above the retractable roof.:eek:

12/28 - Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl - which is bound to generate some “interest” which is music to the ears of loaners everywhere.

That’s all for now.

gopherfan 12-21-2018 08:41 AM

I'm excited about The Elk Grove Village Bahamas Bowl today. Sponsored by the Village of Elk Grove. Located outside of Chicago, the mayor decided that $400,000 of taxpayer money needed to go to sponsorship of a bowl located in another country.

I wouldn't be happy if I lived there.

steve B 12-21-2018 11:10 AM

I really wish American Standard would sponsor a bowl. I've wanted that since before sponsorships were a thing.

Given that it's a remnant of my JR high sense of humor, guess the name?

gopherfan 12-22-2018 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 1838420)
I really wish American Standard would sponsor a bowl. I've wanted that since before sponsorships were a thing.

Given that it's a remnant of my JR high sense of humor, guess the name?

Toilet?

frankbmd 12-22-2018 12:08 PM

The Orkon Bowl Weevil is coming soon.

frankbmd 12-27-2018 11:17 AM

Last Post - Thank God

12/29 - Chick Fil A Peach Bowl

aka the chick fillets a peach bowl

12/31 - A toss up between Red Box Bowl or Taxslayer Gator Bowl

the first to be played in a box instead of a bowl

the second with slayers and gators could be a bloodbath

1/1 - Playstation Fiesta Bowl

actually not a live broadcast but a video game with a virtual meal.

frankbmd 01-02-2019 07:58 PM

A Final Thought

Why not just have Alabama and Clemson play during the regular season, perhaps instead of The Citadel game on November 17th. Would the CFP then be necessary at all?

Hot Springs Bathers 01-03-2019 08:24 AM

With forty bowl games that means that 80 of the 130 DI teams are in bowls. Why not put it in these huge coaching contracts that if you don't make a bowl you are fired?

frankbmd 01-03-2019 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers (Post 1841861)
With forty bowl games that means that 80 of the 130 DI teams are in bowls. Why not put it in these huge coaching contracts that if you don't make a bowl you are fired?

6-6 seems to be the criteria for getting into a bowl game. A major conference team with three cupcakes on its schedule, therefore needs to win 3 out of 9 “real” games to go to a bowl game. Now that’s a record to be proud of.;)

clydepepper 01-03-2019 07:53 PM

I blame the NHL

steve B 01-04-2019 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gopherfan (Post 1838724)
Toilet?

Yep, the opportunity for puns/jokes by the announcers would be almost limitless.