Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Happy Birthday, David Eckstein- My Favorite OVERachiever! (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=264796)

clydepepper 01-20-2019 10:59 AM

Happy Birthday, David Eckstein- My Favorite OVERachiever!

Who's your favorite overachiever?

cardsfan73 01-20-2019 11:43 AM

Probably Eckstein as well! Heck of a player and he was obviously a huge part of the Cardinals 2006 World Series win.

I am not sure how much of an overachiever he was but Rex Hudler certainly gave 100% every time I watched him play.

I think you have to also look at guys like Jose Altuve & Dustin Pedroia who had to over come the fact that they were "to small" and have proved that you can be an All-Star player no matter how small you are.

I would certainly look at a guys Jim Abbot, Pete Gray, Curtis Pride, Jim Eisenreich & William Hoy who were able to overcome disabilities and make it to the majors. I am sure there are many others I am forgetting here.

clydepepper 01-20-2019 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardsfan73 (Post 1847238)
Probably Eckstein as well! Heck of a player and he was obviously a huge part of the Cardinals 2006 World Series win.

I am not sure how much of an overachiever he was but Rex Hudler certainly gave 100% every time I watched him play.

I think you have to also look at guys like Jose Altuve & Dustin Pedroia who had to over come the fact that they were "to small" and have proved that you can be an All-Star player no matter how small you are.

I would certainly look at a guys Jim Abbot, Pete Gray, Curtis Pride, Jim Eisenreich & William Hoy who were able to overcome disabilities and make it to the majors. I am sure there are many others I am forgetting here.

All of the players you mentioned are favorites of mine. Personally, I'm a big guy, but I do appreciate the might-mites!

My favorite modern player was Billy Wagner - who muscled it up there with the biggest of them.

/

packs 01-21-2019 10:39 AM

Mariano Rivera is mine. Son of a fisherman in Panama, maybe 150 pounds soaking wet when he got his start in the big leagues, only threw one pitch and not particularly hard either, yet he became the greatest of all time.

clydepepper 01-21-2019 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1847558)
Mariano Rivera is mine. Son of a fisherman in Panama, maybe 150 pounds soaking wet when he got his start in the big leagues, only threw one pitch and not particularly hard either, yet he became the greatest of all time.

Good call, Lloyd. Some knuckleheads are almost certain to not have him on their ballots tomorrow...which is why I call them knuckleheads.

As to why you may call me knucklehead, it's likely because of my just-established practice of providing (totally at random) names for otherwise anonymous posters.

packs 01-21-2019 01:07 PM

If you'll be my bodyguard
I can be your long lost pal
I can call you Betty
And Betty when you call me
You can call me Al