Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Questionable Vintage Tickets (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=192420)

ColgateFootball 08-15-2014 11:12 AM

Questionable Vintage Tickets

Hi everyone,

Recently purchased these tickets on eBay and after receiving them I have concerns about their authenticity:

-They are all printed on the same paper stock. When compared with other tickets I have from the same era, these tickets are much thinner and more filmsy.

-There are no perforations on two of the tickets where they should be (there are just printed perforation lines).

-The have an 'inkjet printer' look to them.

Do I have some fakes on my hands?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1911-SYRACUS...vip=true&rt=nc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1907-PRINCET...vip=true&rt=nc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1905-PRINCET...vip=true&rt=nc

thanks for any input,
Ryan

Footballdude 08-15-2014 11:43 AM

I don't pretend to be an expert on early tickets, but the few I have had from around the same period, had engraved printing. The backs of those look like they should also be engraved, especially with all that engine turning, not sure about the fronts however. It should be fairly easy to tell if you have them in hand. On engraved items, the ink feels slightly raised above the paper or card stock. If you run your fingernail lightly over them you can feel ridges. It should have the same feeling as running your fingernail over a crisp dollar bill.
Also, all the tickets I have had were cut straight, those look like bad scissor jobs.

I'm sure others will weigh in with way more experience than I have on this.

vintagesportscollector 08-15-2014 12:27 PM

Ryan - Those appear to be 100% fake, for all the reasons you mentioned. They show no wear and aging, and look like the were run right off the printer. I have many college football tickets from that era..and some of the originals to what this seller appears to be faking, for comparison.

-Joe

ColgateFootball 08-15-2014 12:38 PM

Thanks for the input. I figured as much, even when I was buying them :rolleyes: (if you look at their active and completed auctions they have a ton of these tickets out there. Some have sold for north of $50).

The seller seems to just take items on consignment. I've entered disputes on the items.

Ryan

RichardSimon 08-15-2014 01:14 PM

Amazing what some people will do for a $9.99 sale. How do they sleep at night?

hcv123 08-15-2014 01:18 PM

They don't!

That's when they are up listing them!

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardSimon (Post 1310479)
Amazing what some people will do for a $9.99 sale. How do they sleep at night?

GrayGhost 08-15-2014 01:45 PM

They r garbage. I almost got some a while back till I really looked hard at them

ibuysportsephemera 08-15-2014 04:02 PM

I almost bought a bunch of these at a Paper Show but did not go through with the purchase. I am not sure that they are fake, BUT the dealer trying to sell them did say that they were glued onto something and he soaked them off and reglued them to a thinner stock of paper. Not sure if this is the same run or not. I did buy some of the press passes that he had, but I felt that those were absolutely vintage. Hope this helps.

Jeff

Runscott 08-15-2014 04:15 PM

I have tried those links off and on since you originally posted, and every time it locks up my Net54 browser, as well as ebay. All other sites work fine, as soon as I shut down those two windows. Weird.

D. Bergin 08-15-2014 06:46 PM

It looks like the back sides should have a raised embossed feel to them if they are legit.

ColgateFootball 08-16-2014 08:31 AM

They are pretty smooth on each side. The paper stock is definitely newer and tries to give it the raised feel.

th38larg 08-16-2014 07:57 PM

Football Tickets

I can't give much insight into authenticating, but I know a little background on the tix. This seller has been posting these on ebay for a while, maybe 5-6 months or longer. I bought a sideline pass from him a while back that I feel is legit.

Regardless, I met this seller at the Allentown Paper Show this summer. I immediately knew who he was when I saw a group of these in lower grade at his booth. Some had a lot of back damage and paper/glue residue, etc. He explained that these came from an album he split with somebody. The album had nearly 600 tickets pasted into it as well as a bunch of T205 and some other prewar cards.

He didn't say this, but my guess is that these tickets came from a printer's album or were the property of somebody involved in the printing. That would explain why I've seen so many duplicates of the same tix. The atypical paper quality may mean these are scraps/misprints/errors or whatever you want to call them.

I think most of these tickets were never distributed to the public, but I wouldn't call them fakes. He may just be getting around to auctioning the least attractive examples out of the huge lot. Just my two cents.

ibuysportsephemera 08-16-2014 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by th38larg (Post 1311017)
I can't give much insight into authenticating, but I know a little background on the tix. This seller has been posting these on ebay for a while, maybe 5-6 months or longer. I bought a sideline pass from him a while back that I feel is legit.

Regardless, I met this seller at the Allentown Paper Show this summer. I immediately knew who he was when I saw a group of these in lower grade at his booth. Some had a lot of back damage and paper/glue residue, etc. He explained that these came from an album he split with somebody. The album had nearly 600 tickets pasted into it as well as a bunch of T205 and some other prewar cards.

He didn't say this, but my guess is that these tickets came from a printer's album or were the property of somebody involved in the printing. That would explain why I've seen so many duplicates of the same tix. The atypical paper quality may mean these are scraps/misprints/errors or whatever you want to call them.

I think most of these tickets were never distributed to the public, but I wouldn't call them fakes. He may just be getting around to auctioning the least attractive examples out of the huge lot. Just my two cents.

This was the same dealer (at the Allentown Paper show) that I was referring to in my post.

Jeff

th38larg 08-16-2014 09:30 PM

Football Tickets

Im coming to realize that the collecting world is quite a small one!