Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Optimistic. (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=175286)

Brian Van Horn 09-04-2013 04:46 PM

Optimistic.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1917-Hans-Ho...item3cd57eac36

timn1 09-04-2013 05:26 PM

free shipping though-

Is the "Hans" really a variation? Never heard of that... if it's not a variation, the whole listing is not only optimistic but bogus.

Mrvintage 09-04-2013 06:30 PM

This card has been listed on Ebay at auction twice already and the seller ended the auction early both times when the bidding was in the $200.00 range. I'm not quite sure what a realistic price on this card might be, but I can't get over the fact that it has been graded by BVG instead of SGC or PSA.

the 'stache 09-04-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvintage (Post 1180476)
This card has been listed on Ebay at auction twice already and the seller ended the auction early both times when the bidding was in the $200.00 range. I'm not quite sure what a realistic price on this card might be, but I can't get over the fact that it has been graded by BVG instead of SGC or PSA.

Hmm. The seller ended the auction early twice? Did you happen to spy a shill bidder with the username 1952top*****tle? :D

That's a really nice card, even for a Beckett 2. I'm just a sucker for anything Honus Wagner, though.

nolemmings 09-04-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

I'm just a sucker for anything Honus Wagner, though.
Me too, just not the Hans Wagner :)

BTW, there is no variation. They are all Hans, at least every one I have ever seen, and if there is Honus variation, that would be the short-print, not the Hans as he advertises.

ksabet 09-04-2013 07:02 PM

The guy only seems to sell new shiny cards for less than $10 then ends up with this? :eek:

timn1 09-04-2013 10:53 PM

Just to be mischievous, I posted this question to the seller

Hi,
What evidence do you have that this "Hans" Wagner is a rare variation? I am pretty familiar with this set, and all D328 and E135 Wagners that I have seen or heard of are labeled "Hans" rather than "Honus". Isn't it a nice enough card without questionable claims that it is a rare variation?

Brian Van Horn 09-05-2013 09:10 AM

And another one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1916-E135-Ho...item3f290eac86

nolemmings 09-05-2013 10:10 AM

I saw that one Brian. Seller also falsely states that "There isn't another graded example of this Wagner." There are 10 graded by SGC and 6 by PSA.

I suppose he might try and argue that there are no other 1916 graded Wagners for Collins-McCarthy (his card is incorrectly labeled) but even that is false and disingenuous. There is in fact a mislabeled 1916 Wagner in the SGC pop reports, and while PSA changed its pop reports to exclude 1916 for Collins-McCarthy (changing it to 1917), it did so for all cards in the set; thus, he really can't say there are no other 1916 PSA Wagners without acknowledging that even his does not exist in the Pop report.

timn1 09-05-2013 03:45 PM

I got a reasonable response from the seller of the D328 Hans Wagner who said that the Beckett person told him that the "Hans" was a rare variation. Knowing Beckett, I can easily believe this. He also asked about its value and I suggested it was probably in the 3-4K range, rather than 16K+.

Tim

Leon 09-07-2013 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timn1 (Post 1180936)
I got a reasonable response from the seller of the D328 Hans Wagner who said that the Beckett person told him that the "Hans" was a rare variation. Knowing Beckett, I can easily believe this. He also asked about its value and I suggested it was probably in the 3-4K range, rather than 16K+.

Tim

Depends on who they asked at Beckett. A few of their folks know vintage real well. But historically some of their thinking has to make you scratch your head (Goudey Ruth Rookie). As for value.....I would think 3k-5k, it's a nice and scarce card.

Ladder7 09-07-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolemmings (Post 1180749)
I saw that one Brian. Seller also falsely states that "There isn't another graded example of this Wagner." There are 10 graded by SGC and 6 by PSA.

I suppose he might try and argue that there are no other 1916 graded Wagners for Collins-McCarthy (his card is incorrectly labeled) but even that is false and disingenuous. There is in fact a mislabeled 1916 Wagner in the SGC pop reports, and while PSA changed its pop reports to exclude 1916 for Collins-McCarthy (changing it to 1917), it did so for all cards in the set; thus, he really can't say there are no other 1916 PSA Wagners without acknowledging that even his does not exist in the Pop report.

There are no other blank-backs?

nolemmings 09-07-2013 11:38 AM

Ah, I completely missed that--he's apparently arguing that his Wagner is the only blank-backed graded. I was focused on the Hans-Honus thing. My bad.

In that case, it's tough to say from SGC's pop reports, since they do not differentiate between blank-backed and "regular" Colllins-McCarthy cards in their pop reports--either that or they have never graded & labeled a single blank back of any card from that set (doubtful).

The seller is still wrong though, in that PSA pop reports do in fact show another blank-backed Wagner as having been graded. I guess he's just less wrong then I thought.