Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   eBay's New Managed Returns Process (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=156273)

Buythatcard 09-05-2012 05:13 PM

eBay's New Managed Returns Process

Has any eBay seller opted into eBay's new managed returns process?

It appears to be another plus for the buyers.

Grab a beer and read this lengthy description. :eek:

Here is a summary of what it is:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/return-process.html#eligibility

Does this make you nervous? As a seller, it makes me wonder whether this has gone too far. Is it time to start selling on Net54?
There is a mention of a restocking fee. Has anyone considered setting up for a restocking fee?

Just wondering what you think of this?

Deertick 09-05-2012 06:14 PM

I will not opt-in until such time as that is no longer an option. Which will not be long, IMO.

peterose4hof 09-05-2012 08:07 PM

Good lord that's a long read. I would probably have to read it several more times to truly understand all the BS in there, but I don't have the time or patience for that.

My quick take is this, if I opt out of this program the buyer can't return the item just because they changed their mind and they don't want it anymore. If I opt in they can. At least if I opt out they have to make up some reason why they want to return the item and I might have a sporting chance to defend myself and avoid having to give a refund when I did nothing wrong. So I will opt out of this program.

All this being said, they probably will require sellers to opt in eventually. Especially if they want to keep their Top Rated Seller status.

The moral of the story is, it sure would be great if Ebay had some competition so they couldn't continue to push around us sellers. I know it would take a huge budget to truly drive enough traffic to another site, but I can still dream, right?!?!?!

rainier2004 09-05-2012 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterose4hof (Post 1033873)
The moral of the story is, it sure would be great if Ebay had some competition so they couldn't continue to push around us sellers. I know it would take a huge budget to truly drive enough traffic to another site, but I can still dream, right?!?!?!

Just sell it here! This b/s/t board could always use more action. 2k of sales for me in the past week here as I climb out of debt...

peterose4hof 09-05-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainier2004 (Post 1033881)
Just sell it here! This b/s/t board could always use more action. 2k of sales for me in the past week here as I climb out of debt...

99% of what I sell is modern. On the rare occasion that I do have vintage cards for sale I always offer them up on the B/S/T here first.

glchen 09-06-2012 02:38 AM

I've opted in already. I think overall it should be good and easier for buyers. This is similar to Amazon where you are able to print a return label very easily, and I think that ebay is trying to become more like Amazon, where buyers think of it as just one big store with the largest inventory in the world. I think the point here is to just try to make sure that your buyers don't return anything, so make your scans as large as possible, include back scans, and try to describe as best as possible anything that might be missed in scans such as surface wrinkles or light creases. Obviously for big sellers, this might be really tough because they just have too many items. For returns, I always have it that the buyer pays for return shipments, so that often discourages returns somewhat where buyers do feel some responsibility if they don't view the scans close enough. They still lose something from their pocketbook. However, if it is my fault that they are doing the return such as the item was damaged in transit or I missed a flaw in the description, I will pay for the return shipping. I don't refund this until after I receive the item since I don't want the buyer to use really expensive shipping back if they know they don't have to pay for it.

rjackson44 09-06-2012 03:01 AM

EBay is a joke net 54 rules

39special 09-06-2012 03:57 AM

+1

Exhibitman 09-06-2012 07:07 AM

What crappy seller protection--a scam waiting to happen. Every buyer will claim the item isn't as described so he can avoid the restocking fee and make the seller pay for return shipping with the inflated Ebay return shipping charges. Looks to me like Ebay will profit on the return shipping, which is higher than the rates you can get direct from the post office. If Ebay makes it mandatory I will have to rethink my use of their site for selling. It will be yet another reason to consign items to auctioneers and avoid the hassles.

D. Bergin 09-06-2012 07:58 AM

Waiting for the first:

"Item not as described"

translated as:

"Hello, I am returning your item to you, had no luck selling it at last weekends show."

:p

markf31 09-06-2012 12:06 PM

As a seller, being on the hook for return shipping at the buyers whim is pretty ridiculous. If you move any significant volume of merchandise on Ebay this could have quite an adverse effect on your profits and your bottom line.

The inherent problem with Ebay, is that Ebay is simply a forum for a buyer and a seller to consummate a sale. Ebay never touches or handles the merchandise, like an auction house does, so they’re really stuck in a tough situation when trying to resolve issues such as “Item not as described”. They have to place more power either with the buyer or the seller since there is no 3rd party mediator for such situations and it seems they have, and will continue to place that power in the hands of the buyer.

Making the seller pay for return shipping for a fraudulent “Not as described” return is bad, but making a buyer pay for shipping for a actual “Not as described” item is just as bad…and how can Ebay make that distinction?

No matter what policies they institute someone will always find a way to take advantage of the situation and exploit it.

Exhibitman 09-06-2012 02:47 PM

True, Mark, but in this case it will be 100% the unscrupulous buyer who takes advantage. I don't appreciate being stuck with return costs [coincidentally I am in the process of sending back an item that was improperly packed and consequently damaged in the mail, and it will cost me several dollars to send it back], but if Ebay refunds my initial payment I am at least close to whole. I am just afraid that sellers will be screwed royally by the policy whenever someone can't flip a card or has buyer's remorse.

markf31 09-06-2012 04:42 PM

You're completely right Adam and I agree, as I mentioned, sellers who move a lot of volume on Ebay could be adversely effected to extremely damaging results now.

And if you turn the tables and push the cost and burden of return shipping to the buyer, I would think that would discourage a lot of buyers from doing just what you suggest they do which is buy a card, they realize they can't turn it for a quick buck, but now if they want to return the item under a false "Item not as described" claim, they have to eat the return postage. If they try unsuccessfully on say 5 items, all of a sudden they're eating a minimum of $25 in return postage. That could discourage some from the practice.

And let's be honest, how many times as a buyer have you received something worthy of an honest "Item not as described" claim? I think generally they are few and far between, especially if you stay away from suspect sellers. In my 14 years of Ebay I've come across such a situation just twice as a buyer. If you look at it from that perspective it would make even more sense to push the cost of return postage to the buyer.

steve B 09-06-2012 05:23 PM

The few times I've had a problem with an item I bought on Ebay it's been one of the bigger dealers. I've had few problems since 98. One item "lost in the mail" one lot only partly shipped, and one card sold as EX+ massively overgraded even without the trimming. All from large respected dealers. And lousy communication from two of the three. I've also had maybe 5-6 items sent with miserable packing but only a couple damaged.

I've also had great experiences buying from sellers who might be seen as "suspect".

Steve B

Quote:

Originally Posted by markf31 (Post 1034139)
You're completely right Adam and I agree, as I mentioned, sellers who move a lot of volume on Ebay could be adversely effected to extremely damaging results now.

And if you turn the tables and push the cost and burden of return shipping to the buyer, I would think that would discourage a lot of buyers from doing just what you suggest they do which is buy a card, they realize they can't turn it for a quick buck, but now if they want to return the item under a false "Item not as described" claim, they have to eat the return postage. If they try unsuccessfully on say 5 items, all of a sudden they're eating a minimum of $25 in return postage. That could discourage some from the practice.

And let's be honest, how many times as a buyer have you received something worthy of an honest "Item not as described" claim? I think generally they are few and far between, especially if you stay away from suspect sellers. In my 14 years of Ebay I've come across such a situation just twice as a buyer. If you look at it from that perspective it would make even more sense to push the cost of return postage to the buyer.