Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Best Way to Store a Vintage Baseball Set (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=185793)

HOF Yankees 04-01-2014 10:43 PM

Best Way to Store a Vintage Baseball Set

I was thinking about this since I don't wanna take the time on a graded set right now, so I was thinking is buying lots and/or indivual cards then storing them in a binder with plastic sleeves? But also I own a few 1960 Topps Baseball cards in psa graded holders should I crack them out and store them as ungraded, by the way its a set I am keeping, wont sell it ever, no matter what.

brewing 04-02-2014 04:59 AM

This may sound obvious, but do what makes you happy.

Personally, I try to find a 2nd copy to place in the sheets when I can do it cheaply. Otherwise I keep my graded cards that belong to a set in a spot designated for them and place a reprint or photo of the card in the sheets.

While I don't plan to sell anytime soon, for me I know the time may come when I may sell. Therefore I keep them stabbed.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 04-02-2014 06:45 AM

Whatever makes you happy. I keep my tobacco cards in top loaders because I like to look at them individually.

ALR-bishop 04-02-2014 07:25 AM

Sets

I collect sets and like having easy access to them, so keep them in sheets in binders in my office. If I collected graded cards or viewed my cards as an important investment, I would likely do something different. But it remains a hobby for me and I enjoy having the ability to go through any set at any time with no muss or fuss.

My wife does have instructions on who to see about liquidating my collection if need be. But I have made sure I do not spend any money on my collection that my family would need when I check out. Whatever the cards would bring would be gravy so to speak. I think that is important to insure it remains a hobby for me.

mybestbretts 04-02-2014 08:47 AM

Storage of cards

I have actually stored cards both in binders and top loaders. I now keep
them all in top loaders. I found over the years, with the binders it seems
that the corners go soft. My binders were not even touched and stored in
an even temp. room.
Just mho.

Harliduck 04-02-2014 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1261478)
I collect sets and like having easy access to them, so keep them in sheets in binders in my office. If I collected graded cards or viewed my cards as an important investment, I would likely do something different. But it remains a hobby for me and I enjoy having the ability to go through any set at any time with no muss or fuss.

My wife does have instructions on who to see about liquidating my collection if need be. But I have made sure I do not spend any money on my collection that my family would need when I check out. Whatever the cards would bring would be gravy so to speak. I think that is important to insure it remains a hobby for me.

This is exactly my approach. I do have a few graded cards that I haven't popped as well, and as someone mentioned above, I will buy a lesser quality double for the binder as I hate holes. I do have one reprint in my collection where my 55 Clemente rookie sits as I didn't want to buy a cheaper raw card.

Like Al, I recently laid out instructions to my wife about what to do with my cards just in case. She would have zero clue. Again, like Al my cards are for hobby and totally gravy, but I do understand they have a pretty substantial worth that I want protected.

bobsbbcards 04-02-2014 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop
Whatever the cards would bring would be gravy

Duly noted. Sell cards for gravy. :cool:

ALR-bishop 04-02-2014 08:53 PM

gravy....

......train

Sidepocket 04-03-2014 10:39 PM

I store sets in binders and use a scan of the graded cards inserted into the binder page pocket. That gets the whole set in the binder.

autograf 04-04-2014 07:37 PM

Al.....you must have a LOT of gravy......