Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Hooked on Vinyl (Again) (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=245927)

Michael B 11-27-2017 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tedw9 (Post 1723725)
Looks good! How does it sound to you?

Yesterday I went to my local record shop for Record Store Day and picked up the just released Queen We Are the Champions/We Will Rock You 12” single.

I would say that the Black Friday Record Store Day releases may have been better than this years traditional Record Store Day which is held in April. Lots of good artists and albums - Turtles 66, Son Volt, Otis Redding Live, Raspberries, Procol Harum, Iggy Pop, Neil Young Harvest, Richard Hell & the Voidoids, John Lee Hooker, Doors Live, Sonny Rollins, Gram Parsons, Greg Lake I Believe in Father Christmas, Roger Taylor of Queen 10", Lou Reed and Kris Kristofferson at the Bottom Line.

I usually go in April, but I am not purchasing too much vinyl at the moment. The ones I buy in April I usually keep sealed. The 180g or 220g vinyl aka 'virgin vinyl' is great. It is similar to or the same vinyl used on the import pressings that we would purchase in the 1970's and early 1980's. Definitely superior sound. I worked at a college radio station and we would take a U.S. pressing and an import pressing of the same album go into a studio and play them. You would hear notes on the imports that you would not hear on the domestic pressings.

barrysloate 11-28-2017 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58pinson (Post 1724315)
Barry,

Not a quibble with any of your points. My thought was that sans the re-issues, re-pressings, re-masterings etc. the market for selling original vinyl would be MUCH jucier.

Reissues have value because they are great for playing. You can listen to a whole album without a skip or a pop. I have a complete run of Rolling Stones albums from 1964-69, and I love them, but I bought all of them when they were issued. Fifty years of playing has taken a toll.:(

LuckyLarry 11-28-2017 05:22 AM

What ebay sellers of used vinyl should I purchase from?
Larry

58pinson 11-28-2017 08:11 AM

Larry,

Just a suggestion not meant to steer you away from your inclinations, but I see you're in Florida. I think you should be able to locate a monthly record show somewhere not too far from you. A good one gives you the advantage of dealing face to face with vendors, developing a business relationship, and allows you to see with your own eyes what you are buying. Google up Second Saturday Record Show (it's in Wayne, NJ) just to give you an idea of what you might find at one near you. There are also brick and mortar stores which run the gamut from real good to not so much depending on where you are and what you want to pay.

I don't do ebay so can't recommend anyone. There is a fairly robust vinyl community on Youtube which you might want to look into (referring to themselves as the vc).

Good luck on the adventure!

LuckyLarry 12-03-2017 04:04 AM

Thanks for all the feedback and tips as I get into collecting records. Yesterday there was a baseball card show in the south part of town, and on the way home I stopped at our local flea market on the hunt for records.
As soon as I entered, a vendor was just stacking up a pile of LPs, he said $2 each with a discount if I bought more. Some were pretty beat up (I left those behind) but others looked to be in pretty fine shape. So I pulled out the best total 14 LPs and he took my offer of a $20 bill.

Jim Croce (Life and Times) looks new
Jim Croce (You Don’t Mess Around With Jim)
Beach Boys (Spirit of America) looks new
Janis Joplin (I got Dem ‘Ol Cosmic Blues Again Mama)
The Monkees (Meet The Monkees)
Creedence Clearwater (Revival)
CCR (Bayou Country)
Bread (The Best Of)
*bonus* Guitar Man LP also in there ?
Bob Dylan (Blond on Blond)
Bob Dylan (Another Side of Bob Dylan)
Grand Funk (Closer To Home)
America (Greatest Hits)
*For some reason I also pulled two Bill Cosby records (Revenge) and (i started out as a child)

After this I had to walk back out to my car to off load lol! I located a record dealer who was set up and talked awhile with him. All his LPs were neatly organized and in plastic covers. One of his customers came up and confirmed the seller was legit and said he was never disappointed in any of his purchases. All his records looked to be in fine shape. I bought two Rolling Stones LPs for $15 (Black and Blue) and (Its Only Rock and Roll), also a Foreigner record (head games) for $6 mint still original plastic with original sales sticker of $6.87
Then he had a 1/2 off stack and I bought all these for $14 total
John Denver (Windsong)
Carpenters (Close To You)
Carpenters (Carpenters)
Jackson Brown (Running on Empty)
The Moody Blues (In Search of the Lost Chord)
Stephen Stills (Manassas)

barrysloate 12-03-2017 04:41 AM

Larry- the two Dylan albums alone are probably worth more than $20 each. Nice score.

bdk1976 12-03-2017 10:25 AM

I've gotten back into vinyl over the past few years - a natural extension of my weekend estate sale adventures. I started picking up records a few years ago when I saw a bunch of good ones for 10 cents at a sale (including dylan, zepplin, the who, etc.). Since then I've picked up a decent selection (although there is decent competition for records at these sales), as well as the equipment to play them on.

Not top of the line stuff, but decent older stuff for pennies on the dollar. I have a mismatched stack of Sansui, Carver, Marantz, sony, fisher and Kenwood that I have put together out in the garage for less than $60 total and play through a nice big pair of sony speakers that I got for $5. To me - and my natural 'collecting' instinct- gathering this cool older equipment is nearly as much fun as listening to it!

I also picked up a rock-ola jukebox earlier this year that needs some work - hope to get to it this winter. Fun stuff!

58pinson 12-03-2017 10:56 AM

Congrats Larry! Keep enjoying the experience. Was just in the car this morning and heard a track from Blonde on Blonde. DJ mentioned that it was the first rock double album. I'd long forgotten that. My collection is weak on Dylan. Hope you scored a good copy. There are some to be found at flea markets, and then there are those that people ate potato salad off of it seems. Keep us posted as to the quality difference between the two sellers, if any.

Just a heads up (and I definitely don't want to sound like a know it all poser here) but you might want to get yourself a decent vinyl cleaning kit. There are plenty of options out there. You can go to a place like Bags Unlimited for a low cost item. I say that because you just picked up new hardware and it might be prudent to give any used albums a quick clean before you spin them.

Tedw9 12-03-2017 04:55 PM

Wow Larry, that’s one heck of a haul! Some great music at a good price. I wish we had dealers around here that offered prices like that. The only way I get deals like that is at Goodwill. At a local junk shop, one dealer had a Rod Stewart album for $20! Scratched up Beatles for $50-100. Ill pass thanks. :eek:

bdk1976, I’m the same way, I love my frankenstereo and finding nice high end older equipement cheaply appeals to me. I did splurge on a new turntable, but only because I couldn’t find a decent one used. Scored some Bose speakers a week ago for $6!

And I must second what 58pinson said about cleaning your records. You can get a cheap cleaner with a bottle of cleaning fluid on eBay for $10 or so delivered. And there are even better ones, starting at $50 or so and going up. Cleaning your records, new or used, makes a huge difference in sound and will save wear on your turntable.

2dueces 12-13-2017 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardSimon (Post 1720341)
When I dug out my old vinyl a few years ago and bought a new turntable my daughter bought me this gift.
If you are a Van fan, or even if you are not, this is one great vinyl.

My favorite version of Comfortably Numb is Van in Berlin.
Truly epic. It is also on the sound track of the movie The Departed.

Side note. Levon Helm was also with them. For anyone who loved "The Band" it's a nice appearance of one of the great voices in music.