Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   1940's Mystery Autographs - Help Needed - 13 Total - Likely Entertainment (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=239790)

ATP 05-15-2017 02:17 PM

1940's Mystery Autographs - Help Needed - 13 Total - Likely Entertainment

13 Attachment(s)
Hi All,
I recently purchased a collection of about 200 autographs housed within three small books. I have identified almost all of them but there are thirteen I am stumped on. Some seem fairly simple but I can't seem to get them, and hoping someone here will recognize them. I don't want to neglect any because there are quite a few big names in the collection (Frank Sinatra, Judy Garland, Lou Costello, Errol Flynn), and I missed a Charlie Chaplin on my first look through that was in there. There are some spouses of movie stars as well so that could be the case with some of these. Any help is much appreciated, and as usual if anyone ever needs help with autographs themselves they can PM me any time. I'll update the thread if/when some are identified.

1) ?
2) Arline Judge
3) ?
4) Miles Mander
5) ?
6) Ken Niles (thanks Michael)
7) ?
8) Phil Baker (probably, thanks Steve)
9) ?
10) I think this one is Phyllis Brooks
11) ?
12) Edmond O'Brien (Thanks Kevin)
13) Acquanetta

Steve D 05-15-2017 02:58 PM

#8 might be Phil Baker. He was a comedian/actor/songwriter in the 1940s.

Steve

ATP 05-17-2017 05:52 PM

Update on two of these. Anyone else recognize any of the other 11 autographs before I put them away to stump me at a future date again? :)

Klrdds 05-17-2017 08:07 PM

# 12 is actor Edmond O'Brien

Michael B 05-17-2017 08:16 PM

#6 is probably actor and radio announcer Ken Niles (1906-1988)

I read #3 as Madeline Brisebois, but cannot find anyone of that name of any fame.

ATP 05-17-2017 08:22 PM

Thanks guys. Kevin I actually had Edmond O'Brien down on my original list for who that might be, and kind of forgot about it. Am happy you confirmed it as I might not have remembered. Michael, thanks for the Niles, and I agree I also read the other one as Madeleine Brisebois but didn't have any luck finding anyone in the entertainment business circa the 1940's. I suppose it could just be a friend or someone else who signed a page.

ATP 05-18-2017 01:23 PM

The fourth one in the list is really driving me nuts. I keep coming back to the first name either being Niles or Miles. The only thing close I can find to matching what the last name looks like is Niles Marsh. Unfortunately, I cannot find any examples of his (her) signature anywhere to compare. Anyone else seeing Niles or Miles as the first name, and perhaps that will spark an idea on the last name?

ATP 09-06-2017 05:11 PM

Just in case anyone was interested, I figure out a few more of these and figured I would update this list, some with assistance and some with persistence :)

Arline Judge
Miles Mander
Acquanetta

Interesting note that it's the first Miles Mander autograph I have seen or owned, he passed away in 1946. It's from an autograph album that was signed in 1944, on the reverse of the album page is Mike Mazurski. The two of them were in a film together that was made in 1944 called "Murder, My Sweet". He had roles in tons of films including Wuthering Heights and some horror films of the era like "The Return of the Vampire"