Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Toughest signed cards possible (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180372)

theshleps 02-19-2015 02:42 PM

As an IP guy for many years- there was one card Keith Comstock wouldn't sign and David Wells would only sign cards from one particular team (I forget which). Bonds later on wouldn't sign Pirates cards. Richie Zisk claims his identity was stolen and blamed it on signing autographs and stopped. As a collector of the Jewish major Leaguer set- Scott Radinsky refused to sign those cards for many years- I had to hide parts of the card so he didn't know which card it was to get it signed. Also one of the womens cards (forget which) the player wouldn't sign as she said she was Catholic not Jewish. Finally got it signed tho she cut off the part that identified it as a Jewish set card.
Ichiro wouldn't sign a shikishi. Really wanted him on one and each day at spring training that he signed he would sign everyones stuff but my shikishi. I finally paid Mill Creek to get it done
One NHL guy who was a patient of mine wouldn't sign cards from his old team even for me his doc.

dgo71 02-19-2015 05:53 PM

Comstock wouldn't sign his 1988 Topps error card if I remember correctly. The one where the letters in the team name were white instead of blue. He told me they were rare and would be worth a bunch of money. Ha!

Wells will sign only Blue Jays cards. All other teams he signs only for his sons. While his sons' collections must be pretty cool, that leaves a lot of set collectors in the dust. :(

CW 02-19-2015 07:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Drew Henson will not sign his 1993 Upper Deck SP Card. It was released while he was still at Michigan and was pulled from production for violating NCAA rules. I read somewhere that Drew may have signed an agreement to never sign that card, or agreed to not sign in a settlement, which may or may not be true.

tazdmb 02-19-2015 07:47 PM

Drew has signed that card before for charity.

dgo71 02-20-2015 12:10 AM

Actually, Henson now signs that card freely. He's been coaching in the Yankees minor league system (GCL I believe) and I know a couple people who got him to sign it without issue. But yes, at the time it was issued and during his playing days, it was impossible to convince him to sign that one.

pclpads 02-20-2015 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polakoff (Post 1381887)
I just sold a 1970 Cal Koonce card in rough shape made out "To Pam" for $30 at auction on ebay. I was hoping to get the 99 cent starting bid. Had no idea his signatures were worth that kind of dough. Looked on ebay and I guess he has almost no signed cards. Any idea why?

He passed in 1993, so that may attribute to the scarcity.

egri 02-20-2015 09:07 AM

Red Sox infielder Harry Agganis died a few weeks after his 1955 Topps card was released. I've heard of signed examples of it, but I've never seen one myself.

EDIT: This article from SCD estimates that there are fewer than 100 signed cards in existence.

CW 02-20-2015 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tazdmb (Post 1382507)
Drew has signed that card before for charity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgo71 (Post 1382569)
Actually, Henson now signs that card freely. He's been coaching in the Yankees minor league system (GCL I believe) and I know a couple people who got him to sign it without issue. But yes, at the time it was issued and during his playing days, it was impossible to convince him to sign that one.

Interesting... I did not know that. Thanks for the info, guys!

theshleps 02-20-2015 04:58 PM

I have a signed Nick Adenhart UD I got IP that was signed right after it was released. Three weeks later he was killed.

mrmopar 02-20-2015 08:31 PM

Anyone know if a 77 Topps Frisella was even possible? Not sure when the cards would come out in those days (seems like it was around Xmas) and he died Jan 1, 1977. It's not the best action shot of the set, but would be my favorite Frisella card for a signature if one were possible.

Hankphenom 02-22-2015 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theshleps (Post 1382800)
I have a signed Nick Adenhart UD I got IP that was signed right after it was released. Three weeks later he was killed.

This has to be the winner.

HRBAKER 02-22-2015 05:23 PM

1967 Topps Walt Bond tough?

theshleps 02-22-2015 05:53 PM

Am open to trading the Adenhart

dgo71 02-22-2015 09:16 PM

Thought of another, the 1995 UD Diamond Debut Steve Rodriguez. Rodriguez had cups of coffee with Boston and Detroit. In the late 90's I saw him with Toledo and he would not sign that card, stating he signed one for his mother and that was the only one he'd ever sign. Fast forward to just last year, with Team USA, and Rodriguez was still sticking to that policy.

7nohitter 02-23-2015 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgo71 (Post 1383645)
Thought of another, the 1995 UD Diamond Debut Steve Rodriguez. Rodriguez had cups of coffee with Boston and Detroit. In the late 90's I saw him with Toledo and he would not sign that card, stating he signed one for his mother and that was the only one he'd ever sign. Fast forward to just last year, with Team USA, and Rodriguez was still sticking to that policy.

Very interesting...would love to (I can guess) know his reasoning....I really don't remember him playing for the Sox.

1963Topps Set 02-23-2015 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theshleps (Post 1383592)
Am open to trading the Adenhart

What do you want for it? I would be interested.

daywalker2029 02-23-2015 05:33 AM

i've been searching for an 86 topps kelvin chapman for a long time now to complete my 86 topps auto set (there is one on ebay for $400 - which is far more than i paid to get the entire rest of the set so i wont be buying that)

also a 69 topps gil hodges - not too many of those around either

egri 02-23-2015 09:33 AM

I'd imagine an Ellis Kinder signed anything would be difficult, as he left school in sixth grade and could barely write his own name, then he died relatively young.

Republicaninmass 02-23-2015 10:14 AM

Had no idea about Kinder, his writing doesnt look too bad. He is notoriously difficult

http://signed1952topps.smugmug.com/S...X3/z131-X3.jpg

sycks22 02-23-2015 11:14 AM

Boggs won't sign…. well he'll sign anything I mean

hawaiian bam bam 02-23-2015 12:27 PM

1987 topps terry Forster is a tough one to find also for some reason it's hard to find a 1981 topps traded Fernando Valenzuela and I have never seen a 1955 topps Jackie Robinson signed either.

dgo71 02-23-2015 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daywalker2029 (Post 1383687)
i've been searching for an 86 topps kelvin chapman for a long time now to complete my 86 topps auto set (there is one on ebay for $400 - which is far more than i paid to get the entire rest of the set so i wont be buying that)

:eek::eek::eek:
Wow, I knew he was rare, but $400? I actually got that signed card (and a signed 1985 Donruss as well) in a lot I bought on eBay years ago.

Chris Counts 02-24-2015 09:51 PM

I'd like to see a Willard Herschberger. I have a signed snapshot, but I've never seen a signed '39 or '40 Play Ball.

MacDice 02-24-2015 10:18 PM

Would like to see a complete signed 1957 Dodgers' Sluggers (Furillo/Hodges/Campenalla/Snider) card.

Republicaninmass 02-25-2015 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacDice (Post 1384352)
Would like to see a complete signed 1957 Dodgers' Sluggers (Furillo/Hodges/Campenalla/Snider) card.

My holy grail! I've seen one, but the campy was secretarial

MacDice 02-25-2015 08:27 AM

Republicaninmass - I am working on a 1957 signed set (327 our of 407 with 54 signed HOFers) and that is one card that I don't believe that I will ever find one signed by the entire group (not that I would be able to afford it). I have one that is just signed by Duke Snider so it will have to do. The Yankees Slugger card of Mantle and Berra, I think that I can sign one signed by both since they both signed a lot. The one I have is a Berra only. Luckily the only HOF cards that I need to get is a Campanella and a Clemente the rest that I need are just commons.

theshleps 02-25-2015 10:25 AM

I have the Berra/Mantle back in AZ but not for sale

jdl7860 02-25-2015 11:30 AM

57t

57 Topps has afew tough commons as well, Duke Maas being one and isn't another Don Bessent?
And Bam Bam, I once had a 1955 T Jackie Robinson signed and at the time I think there were several in the psa dna registry.
Great thread!

jad22 02-25-2015 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Counts (Post 1384348)
I'd like to see a Willard Herschberger. I have a signed snapshot, but I've never seen a signed '39 or '40 Play Ball.

http://legendaryauctions.com/Extreme...LOT169496.aspx

theshleps 02-25-2015 07:31 PM

How bout a 63 Topps fully signed Bucs Blasters? Does it exist?

Chris Counts 02-25-2015 07:36 PM

Thanks for the link Joe. There can't be many of those around.

egri 02-28-2015 07:11 PM

I wonder how difficult it is to get players who retired to Cuba, like Connie Marrero. The guy was alive at this point last year, but the only things I've seen signed by him are contemporaneous with his playing career.

mrmopar 02-28-2015 08:46 PM

He died last year.

I got someone to get me one in a private signing a couple years back, but he was going blind late in his life and apparently wasn't signing much at all in general.

Quote:

Originally Posted by egri (Post 1385815)
I wonder how difficult it is to get players who retired to Cuba, like Connie Marrero. The guy was alive at this point last year, but the only things I've seen signed by him are contemporaneous with his playing career.

Gary Dunaier 03-03-2015 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theshleps (Post 1218262)
This is sad but I got a 2009 UD signed by Nick Adenhart. I got it just before he left spring training in 2009 in March. It had about a 3 week window to be signed.

Just to clarify - this thread is about cards where few, if any, signed examples could possibly exist.

There are plenty of "certified autograph" Nick Adenhart cards out there, so if you just want "a" signed Adenhart card and don't care about manufacturer or year, you won't have any problem finding one. Those are not the type of cards being discussed here.

Am I correct in my understanding of this thread?

Republicaninmass 03-03-2015 03:34 PM

The player only had a super short window of a year or two to sign a card before their death, like Ken Hubbs, Foxx '61

Actually, Brent did mention this in his question. Although I dont collect modern, I find these tidbits about modern players intersting

dgo71 03-03-2015 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawaiian bam bam (Post 1381832)
For some reason roger Clemens doesn't sign his 1987 donruss diamond kings card. I've only seen one ever.

The story I heard was that Rocket had a friend who was an artist and Clemens wanted his friend to be able to paint the portrait of him for the set instead of Dick Perez. I don't know if that's true or not, it seems unlikely he would have even known the card was coming out beforehand unless there was some special permissions he had to give.

That was the only thing I ever heard about his reasoning but it's definitely true, or at least was for a long time. I saw him at a charity signing in Winter Haven many springs ago and when I presented that card he told me he wouldn't sign it. He had a small basket filled with a bunch of his different cards and told me I could change it out for any one of them. In the line I didn't really have time to ask him why, and I've always regretted not asking.

Since the whole PED thing he's been signing very well when he's around, I wonder if maybe he's relaxed on that policy.

EldoEsq 03-03-2015 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier (Post 1386789)
Just to clarify - this thread is about cards where few, if any, signed examples could possibly exist.

There are plenty of "certified autograph" Nick Adenhart cards out there, so if you just want "a" signed Adenhart card and don't care about manufacturer or year, you won't have any problem finding one. Those are not the type of cards being discussed here.

Am I correct in my understanding of this thread?

I think his card is EXACTLY what the thread is about...there may be a million signed Nick Adenhart cards, but there are probably only a handful of 2009 Upper Deck signed cards based on the set's release and him passing in April 2009.

Plenty of Dick Howser autographs out there...good luck with 1987 Topps.

I thought the thread was about rare signed cards...not just rare signers. Or did I miss the theme of the thread???

Orioles1954 03-03-2015 05:57 PM

1954 Topps Howie Fox---know of one in existence.

1969 Topps Bird Hill Aces--know of one signed by all four.

Republicaninmass 03-03-2015 06:00 PM

1954 Topps Howie Fox---know of one in existence.

If you are counting the one I sold, I know of one other

Never have seen a 53 Bowman

Stanesq 03-03-2015 06:53 PM

2002 Topps total Daryl Kile

http://photos.sportscollectors.net/71365.jpg

I believe the card came out on Thursday and Daryl Kile was found dead on Saturday morning.

dgo71 03-03-2015 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanesq (Post 1386885)
I believe the card came out on Thursday and Daryl Kile was found dead on Saturday morning.

WOW! Not quite that short of a window, the card was out about 2 weeks, but that's really splitting hairs in the grand scheme of things. That's a really tough one!

Stanesq 03-03-2015 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgo71 (Post 1386888)
WOW! Not quite that short of a window, the card was out about 2 weeks, but that's really splitting hairs in the grand scheme of things. That's a really tough one!

Ive always wondered what the exact release date was of the 2002 Topps Total set. I was told it was two days before he died but if its two weeks that gives more hope.

Stanesq 03-03-2015 07:02 PM

How tough is Tim Horton?

http://photos.sportscollectors.net/187092.jpg

Dont see many Tim Horton cards around

dgo71 03-03-2015 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EldoEsq (Post 1386861)
I thought the thread was about rare signed cards...not just rare signers. Or did I miss the theme of the thread???

That's the theme. Maybe I missed something too but it seems to me the cards folks are disucssing here are exactly that. Tough cards to find signed. I'm a little surprised at the confusion this is causing. :confused:

Another more modern toughie is Rod Scurry on his 1989 Score and Upper Deck issues, his only mainstream Mariners cards. I've never seen one I thought was authentic. Even though Scurry was a decent signer and passed away in 1992, he was out of baseball before these cards were issued and hard to track down due to leading a life of drug use. Scurry was actually arrested trying to buy crack the day after being released from Seattle at the end of 1988.

dgo71 03-03-2015 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanesq (Post 1386889)
Ive always wondered what the exact release date was of the 2002 Topps Total set. I was told it was two days before he died but if its two weeks that gives more hope.

Well, not a LOT more hope, but hope nonetheless.

An additional problem concerning finding that card signed is that Kile had literally hundreds of other cards out at the time, so the chances of someone having that particular card and selecting it over another are remote. You have to feel like anyone who chose that card to get signed was doing so for a very specific reason (i.e., decided to work the set immediately when it came out, Cardinals fan, etc.) which reduces the chances of it hitting the open market. I'd be shocked if the number of signed copies of that card was even in double digits.

EDIT: Seems the window was exactly one week. This site says 6/15 was the release date:
http://www.thecardkid.com/bb02tppstotalrtl-36p.html
Kile passed away on 6/22.

mrmopar 03-03-2015 07:26 PM

Leigh Neuage is one that has to be pretty tough. He had one card that I am aware of, a 2003 Bowman card. Neuage died Aug 16, 2003. He never made the majors and was originally from Australia. Not sure if he signed much or not. I hope this is real, but really have no way to know for sure. I bought it from a guy who had a ton of common minor league caliber players and/or minor league cards. it is feasible that this guy got cards signed at his local minor league affiliate, grabbing anyone and everyone who passed through his area. Not sure when bowman normally releases. I probably could have researched this, but didn't want to risk losing this one to someone else when it was listed. The price was worth the risk of it being fake, so I went for it.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a81...ps96ef0963.jpg

theshleps 03-03-2015 07:34 PM

of course there are ones like Cobb on a 61 Fleer and a 61 Scoops. also 61 Fleer #1 of Cobb/Wheat/Baker. 1961 Scoops Eddie Gaedel.
Does anyone know the month the 1961 nu card scoops was released? maybe Cobb and Gaedel died before the set was released?? And when was the 1961 fleer released (the month?)

dgo71 03-03-2015 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmopar (Post 1386903)
Leigh Neuage is one that has to be pretty tough. He had one card that I am aware of, a 2003 Bowman card. Neuage died Aug 16, 2003. He never made the majors and was originally from Australia. Not sure if he signed much or not. I hope this is real, but really have no way to know for sure. I bought it from a guy who had a ton of common minor league caliber players and/or minor league cards. it is feasible that this guy got cards signed at his local minor league affiliate, grabbing anyone and everyone who passed through his area. Not sure when bowman normally releases. I probably could have researched this, but didn't want to risk losing this one to someone else when it was listed. The price was worth the risk of it being fake, so I went for it.

It's likely that we both bought Neuage from the same seller, jmoak on eBay, and if that's the case it's unquestionably authentic. I have met Jason a few times and he's good friends with a collector I know very well. Jason's a good guy and was an extremely active minor league in-person collector. He not only graphed his hometown park, but also travelled to other nearby affiliates, FL and AZ spring training, AZ Fall League, etc. from the early '90s to almost 2010. Additionally, he had several like-minded connections that he traded extensively with. You should rest easy that the card you have pictured is authentic.

mrmopar 03-03-2015 09:37 PM

I think that was the seller. That is great to hear. I don't know what demand there is for a guy who never made the bigs, but a Dodger or set collector surely wants one if they can find one. I don't discriminate…if the guy is shown as a Dodger but never made thew club, I still want it.

Paul Speckenbach is another example. His 64 Topps card shows him as a Dodger prospect, but he never actually made the club. I was happy and fortunate enough to track him down and send that card just a few months before he passed

pooh528 03-04-2015 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orioles1954 (Post 1386867)
1969 Topps Bird Hill Aces--know of one signed by all four.

Not sure if its the same one, but I have one signed by all 4