Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   PICK UP of the year arrived today. (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=233620)

bnorth 01-09-2017 09:57 AM

PICK UP of the year arrived today.

3 Attachment(s)
I know it is very early in the years but this lot showed up today. The Wanderlei Silva card was a new addition. The 1989 Fleer Randy Johnson Green Scribble and Dark Red Tint cards are also nice. Now for the super big one. The card in the top left is a 1989 Fleer Bill Ripken Saw Cut Circle Scribble(CS3) version and is only the second known card of that version.:eek::D

JoeDfan 01-09-2017 10:27 AM

BAM!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome Ben!!!!!!!

Republicaninmass 01-09-2017 12:52 PM

AND it's only January 9th!

Congrats on the p/u

JustinD 01-09-2017 12:59 PM

Nice Ben!

I have a question for you as you are much more into the 89's than I am. What do you think the "clear" Marlboro would bring if it ever came to market?

savedfrommyspokes 01-09-2017 01:13 PM

I like it Ben, congrats

bnorth 01-09-2017 02:30 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinD (Post 1618810)
Nice Ben!

I have a question for you as you are much more into the 89's than I am. What do you think the "clear" Marlboro would bring if it ever came to market?

I think the "clear" Marlboro is a fantasy card. I have one somewhere and I was crazy excited till I put it under my top lighted microscope. It is the lightest pinkish/red version doctored. You can tell by seeing one in hand. Even with a scan just look at the cowboy, notice how it looks exactly like the version I am talking about. If it was a real version the whole sign would be clear and not just Marlboro part.

I did find a really weird blue tint a year or so ago. It is not a green turned blue because it is slightly different. The card bugs me though because it is ultra glossy and should not be. The print even under 100X top lighted microscope looks perfect though and there is no extra gloss on the edges like a reglossed card. Not sure what to think about it. Another member on here that is a huge collector of the Johnson Marlboro errors and has to of them but are in PSA slabs.

The first pic is the light pinkish/red version the "clear" versions are made from and the card beside it is the weird blue one. It looks way more blue in hand.

The other 2 cards are a custom refractor and superfractor I made. Sorry for the low end pics.

JustinD 01-09-2017 02:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have only heard rumor of a visible card with one example. Dylan has this snip on his site and says it is the card. Maybe he can add more info.

I have not seen a full scan of this copy -

bnorth 01-09-2017 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinD (Post 1618860)
I have only heard rumor of a visible card with one example. Dylan has this snip on his site and says it is the card. Maybe he can add more info.

That is the one in the PSA slab and with a google search you can find a pic of the whole card. Never seen it in hand but it looks altered to me from the pictures. If it wasn't altered why isn't the red on the top red, also why wouldn't the cowboy be a nice clear picture? These are things that are huge red flags to me. I have one just like it somewhere, I also have a weird one I bought out of Canada that was supposed to be a salesman sample. Unfortunately I have a room completely full of cards and have not been able to find either for years. Did get lucky and found over 100 Marlboro errors a couple days ago thanks to sending a couple only known error pairs to a fellow board member.

jacksoncoupage 01-09-2017 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinD (Post 1618860)

Yeah, I don't know. The owner was very convincing at the time of our correspondence regarding the clear copy. Very friendly, thorough...but I don't know if I can dig the emails up. I also recall him posting about it on the PSA forums before contacting me. See post #10 from Donovan (Bill Ripken collector), pics no longer available but he states it wasn't altered, as does post #14 from the owner: http://www.freedomcardboard.com/foru...uestion-(Pics)

I'm not ready to say a clearer than what is commonly accepted as the clearest version DOESN'T exist out there if only because of the handful of variations in the set with only a few known copies (Ripkens, Checklists with positions).

jp1216 01-10-2017 06:14 PM

Here is the pic I have of a PSA 9 Marlboro. (not mine)

http://www.billripken.com/bucket/Marlboro_Johnson.jpg

jp1216 01-10-2017 06:47 PM

Sorry, huge image. I just wanted it as detailed as possible. I've seen this Johnson PSA 9 - before and after grading - and it looks OK to me. <<wanted to say I've held this Johnson, but decided not to>>

bnorth 01-10-2017 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp1216 (Post 1619319)
Sorry, huge image. I just wanted it as detailed as possible. I've seen this Johnson PSA 9 - before and after grading - and it looks OK to me. <<wanted to say I've held this Johnson, but decided not to>>

Thanks for the big picture Jon. That one is different than the one I have. Mine was made like the card Jerry sent me.