Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   EBay buyers (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=207597)

coolshemp 06-18-2015 08:23 PM

EBay buyers

Just curious: How long do you sellers give a buyer to pay for a winning? I always pay as soon as I win or next log on, so it is really bugging me when I have to wait 2 or more days for a payment. Any thoughts on this? How often should I send the invoice or message without becoming a pest?

chipperhank44 06-18-2015 09:01 PM

I've had people take a week or two. I began the practice of stating in my auctions that, "Payment is due within 48 hours of auction's end." Seems to add a little more credibility when you are asking for money after two days and quoting from terms specifically stated in your auction listing. Still, it seems to ultimately amount to the following: they can take as long as you are willing to wait.

D. Bergin 06-18-2015 10:10 PM

I'm pretty patient. Usually wait about 10 days before I send out a second notice. I have a few regulars who tally stuff up throughout the month and then pay in one lump sum if we have a prior arrangement.

I get very few non-payers.

I do make sure I send a Non Paying Bidder notice if it comes down to that, and that usually shakes the tree loose on the knuckle draggers.

Eggoman 06-19-2015 05:48 AM

I will USUALLY send a reminder via e-mail after 2 days and open a "Non-Paying" Bidder case after 3 days.

If a person is able to bid on an item, especially a sniper, there is NO reason that the bidder cannot at least contact me regarding payment within 3 days.

Just my thoughts...

Joshchisox08 06-19-2015 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolshemp (Post 1422790)
Just curious: How long do you sellers give a buyer to pay for a winning? I always pay as soon as I win or next log on, so it is really bugging me when I have to wait 2 or more days for a payment. Any thoughts on this? How often should I send the invoice or message without becoming a pest?

I agree it can be annoying. I don't sell that much on eBay but when I do I expect buyers to be like myself (95%) of the time I pay immediately after winning.

There is another 5% of me though that may win an auction a couple 2-4 days before pay day and then pay. I usually let the seller know this though out of consideration.

Econteachert205 06-19-2015 06:30 AM

I always pay within 24 hours. As a seller, I wait 48 hours and send an invoice, then wait a few more days and send a friendly message. If they haven't sent by the end of a week I send a less friendly message saying I'll cancel the transaction after 24 hours.

rednecksims 06-19-2015 03:51 PM

States in my auction they have 5 days to pay. On the 6th day I file a NPB case. It gives them an additional 3 days to pay then I file to get my fees back and they get a strike.

David

earlywynnfan 06-19-2015 04:50 PM

I guess I'm more tolerant. Ebay already sends a reminder email after 3-4 days. I wait until the next week's close, and if they haven't bid on anything else, I'll send an email. After two weeks, I'll open a case if I haven't heard anything. I guess I'm more laid back, which would definitely surprise my wife.

thecatspajamas 06-19-2015 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earlywynnfan (Post 1423036)
I guess I'm more tolerant. Ebay already sends a reminder email after 3-4 days. I wait until the next week's close, and if they haven't bid on anything else, I'll send an email. After two weeks, I'll open a case if I haven't heard anything. I guess I'm more laid back, which would definitely surprise my wife.

+1 on this approach

To my mind, if you're going to be filling NPB's in anything under a week, you should state that in your listing. When I'm actively buying on eBay, it's usually with snipe bids set well in advance, and I'll often settle up with multiple sellers at once assert the end of the week. Nothing turns me off to a seller quicker than getting slapped with an NPB claim on day 3 when nothing was said about "immediate payment required" in the listing. I'll pay up either way, but if you treat me like a deadbeat for not meeting your unstated expectations, it's the last of my money that you'll get.

Bottom line is, whatever you think the timeframe should be is fine, just be clear about your expectations up front.

clydepepper 06-19-2015 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eggoman (Post 1422870)
I will USUALLY send a reminder via e-mail after 2 days and open a "Non-Paying" Bidder case after 3 days.

If a person is able to bid on an item, especially a sniper, there is NO reason that the bidder cannot at least contact me regarding payment within 3 days.

Just my thoughts...

+1 - This exactly the way I handle it. This past Sunday, I have 30 cards that sold, 27 paid within 24 hours - without me asking. I sent invoices with the note 'Friendly payment reminder' to the other three and two paid that day. I have opened a non-payment case on the third one...who has never responded at all.

While, EBAY definitely pulls in favor of buyers, I think it's only reasonable for someone to bid only on items they can pay for. Since I am required (to get highest rating) to ship to my buyers within one business day, it is only natural to expect close to the same from the buyers. I try to have my sales ending on Sunday nights, hoping that 'joe blow' doesn't spend his entire Friday paycheck before then...guess I am wrong 1 in 30 times.

1880nonsports 06-20-2015 01:21 AM

I took checks

have suffered through excuses of all sorts regarding listings and endured any number of payment delays in my 20 years selling albeit at times sporadically on eBay. Like Lance and wynnfan I tend to lean to the tolerant side - the same approach I have tried to take with my life. Completing a transaction of this sort generally isn't life and death although it can be a little annoying. I once had to SWEAT three weeks waiting for payment on an expensive item that sold well in excess of it's historical price. I wrote once after 10 days with as much humility as I could muster for fear of scaring the guy off.......
I pay right away when I win something, post feedback the moment I receive payment as a seller or when my item arrives as listed when I am a buyer. I wish everyone acted as they should but accept that life and the buying/selling of collectibles can be interrupted by any number of variables.
If it's important to you - I suggest a friendly email after 5-7 days and waiting at least 3 days for a response before filing a NPB alert.

buymycards 06-20-2015 06:29 AM

BIN's

I can't understand people who use BIN or best offer and then take a week to pay. For instance, I have a guy who made an offer on Tuesday. I accepted the offer right away, but the guy hasn't paid yet. The total with shipping is 7 bucks. If you use BIN, you should pay right away.

brass_rat 06-20-2015 07:16 AM

From a buyer's point of view...

I don't understand waiting to pay, either...I like my cards in my hands sooner rather than later. :D I pay almost immediately unless I'm waiting for a seller to bundle items for a shipping discount.

It takes me less than 30 seconds to pay via my phone, and I know if I were a seller, I'd appreciate prompt payment.

What drives me nuts is that some sellers never provide feedback.

Cheers,
Steve

auggiedoggy 06-21-2015 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolshemp (Post 1422790)

I state in my auctions that the buyer has 5 days to pay. Unless the buyer has a good reason to delay things further, I cancel the transaction and block the buyer from participating in any future auctions. I may also report the non-paying buyer to eBay, for whatever good that does!

Eggoman 06-21-2015 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecatspajamas (Post 1423055)
+1 on this approach

To my mind, if you're going to be filling NPB's in anything under a week, you should state that in your listing. When I'm actively buying on eBay, it's usually with snipe bids set well in advance, and I'll often settle up with multiple sellers at once assert the end of the week. Nothing turns me off to a seller quicker than getting slapped with an NPB claim on day 3 when nothing was said about "immediate payment required" in the listing. I'll pay up either way, but if you treat me like a deadbeat for not meeting your unstated expectations, it's the last of my money that you'll get.

Bottom line is, whatever you think the timeframe should be is fine, just be clear about your expectations up front.

I understand where you are coming from, but must politely disagree...

Is it too difficult for the Buyer to send the Seller (me) a quick e-mail to let me know that payment will be delayed a couple of days or whatever?

I'm more than willing to wait for payment; all I am looking for is a little communication & courtesy.

Buythatcard 06-21-2015 11:28 AM

I give most buyers 7 days until I send a reminder. Many of my long term buyers are given extra time and each case is different.

Many times I get a special request to hold off on paying me because they might not have the funds or some other situation. Recently, someone asked me to wait over 3 weeks until they pay me. I said no problem. Three weeks go by and buyer said that they no longer wanted the card. It's stuff like that which annoys me.:mad:

Eggoman 06-21-2015 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buythatcard (Post 1423512)
Many of my long term buyers are given extra time and each case is different.

ABSOLUTELY AGREE!!

All I'm saying is if you can't pay within a few (3) days, touch base with me and let me know.

David W 06-21-2015 12:29 PM

I usually pay right away, but once I put in a bid with several days to go that I thought would never win, and it did.

In the meantime we left on vacation to the UP of Michigan with sporadic internet service.

I came home to a 10-12 day old ebay auction I won.

So I paid and apologized to the seller.

Sometimes stuff happens.

Eggoman 06-21-2015 12:58 PM

AGAIN, no arguement from me - sometimes stuff DOES happen!

But when possible, shoot me an e-mail and let me know what's going on. I think that the majority of us who sell on ebay are a forgiving and understanding lot who are QUITE willing to accommodate any Buyer!

thecatspajamas 06-21-2015 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eggoman (Post 1423508)
I understand where you are coming from, but must politely disagree...

Is it too difficult for the Buyer to send the Seller (me) a quick e-mail to let me know that payment will be delayed a couple of days or whatever?

I'm more than willing to wait for payment; all I am looking for is a little communication & courtesy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecatspajamas (Post 1423055)

Eggoman 06-21-2015 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecatspajamas (Post 1423536)

we have a deal! :)

Sophiedog 06-21-2015 03:56 PM

Usually if I don't get paid within a couple of days the payment never comes and no amount of messages or invoices gets a reply. I would wait quite a while to get paid as long as the buyer lets me know