Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   365 Days of Roberto Clemente (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=249493)

docpatlv 12-31-2017 10:51 AM

365 Days of Roberto Clemente
 
As a player collector, I have enjoyed seeing threads devoted to one person's passion for collecting a particular player, such as David W's Lou Brock collection. It surprises me that we don't see more threads like this, so I thought I'd start one on my favorite post-war player to collect.

Why Roberto? When I started collecting in the mid 1970s, I traded cards with other kids at school during recess. I remember a classmate bragging that he had a Roberto Clemente card, but I had no idea who he was. When my Dad came home from work that day, I asked him if Roberto was a good player. I remember him telling me how he was a great all-around player and that he died in a tragic plane crash. I tried several times to trade for that Clemente, but I was never able to pry it out of my classmate's hands. A few years later, at my first card show, my Dad bought me my first Clemente card (1968 Topps) along with a Mantle and Mays from the same year.

I didn't start seriously collecting RC until the early 90's. In the beginning I wasn't too concerned with condition and for the most part I'm still not. So you won't see any PSA 9's, but hopefully over the course of the next year you'll see some items that you haven't seen before. I will post things randomly to mix it up a bit and, for the most part, post items from his playing days, although there will be some newer items I like. Hope you enjoy.


Day 1

To start things off, on my birthday this year, my oldest daughter asked my neighbor (an amateur painter) to create this painting for me. I wanted to pick a symbolic photo of him so I picked Roberto tipping his cap after his 3,00th hit. I think the result is incredible especially since my neighbor said she doesn't really paint in detail. It's water color on artist's paper using only 4 pigments.

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl...intingSM11.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl...intingSM21.JPG

quitcrab 12-31-2017 11:24 AM

Love the painting. The artist did a great job. I am a HS art teacher. A+. I also love the idea for a Clemente thread. What a great player and role model. I am sure a lot if great pieces will be posted. I love the odd ball Clemente cards.

OsFan 12-31-2017 11:31 AM

Agreed I love following DBesse27 Yaz thread. The Brock thread is great too. Personally Iíd like to see someone do a Brooks Robinson, maybe Mark70Z. I have the feeling he has a killer B. Robinson collection.

Definitely looking forward to following this Clemente thread.

CW 12-31-2017 12:05 PM

Also enjoyed seeing the painting. I'll be checking into this thread, and will also be impressed that you have 365 different Clemente items to show.

Mark70Z 12-31-2017 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OsFan (Post 1734264)
Agreed I love following DBesse27 Yaz thread. The Brock thread is great too. Personally Iíd like to see someone do a Brooks Robinson, maybe Mark70Z. I have the feeling he has a killer B. Robinson collection.

Definitely looking forward to following this Clemente thread.

Iím not the best person with the computer thing, and I donít have a scanner. My pictures that Iím posting currently are too small and I donít know what Iím doing wrong, but itís something. If I can get the picture thing better I can give it a shot at a Brooks thread, something like Brock, Yaz and thereís one on Mantle. Iím with the OP that I love threads like that no matter who the player is thatís posted. By the way I have a decent Brooks collection, but there are far better out there Iím sure. I donít think I can do one thatís everyday, but I sure look forward to the one on Clemente thatís for sure!

David W 12-31-2017 01:04 PM

I can't wait to see what you have

Mark70Z 12-31-2017 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docpatlv (Post 1734247)
As a player collector, I have enjoyed seeing threads devoted to one person's passion for collecting a particular player, such as David W's Lou Brock collection. It surprises me that we don't see more threads like this, so I thought I'd start one on my favorite post-war player to collect.

Why Roberto? When I started collecting in the mid 1970s, I traded cards with other kids at school during recess. I remember a classmate bragging that he had a Roberto Clemente card, but I had no idea who he was. When my Dad came home from work that day, I asked him if Roberto was a good player. I remember him telling me how he was a great all-around player and that he died in a tragic plane crash. I tried several times to trade for that Clemente, but I was never able to pry it out of my classmate's hands. A few years later, at my first card show, my Dad bought me my first Clemente card (1968 Topps) along with a Mantle and Mays from the same year.

I didn't start seriously collecting RC until the early 90's. In the beginning I wasn't too concerned with condition and for the most part I'm still not. So you won't see any PSA 9's, but hopefully over the course of the next year you'll see some items that you haven't seen before. I will post things randomly to mix it up a bit and, for the most part, post items from his playing days, although there will be some newer items I like. Hope you enjoy.

Day 1

To start things off, on my birthday this year, my oldest daughter asked my neighbor (an amateur painter) to create this painting for me. I wanted to pick a symbolic photo of him so I picked Roberto tipping his cap after his 3,00th hit. I think the result is incredible especially since my neighbor said she doesn't really paint in detail. It's water color on artist's paper using only 4 pigments.

Iím like you in that I enjoy viewing others player collections and the passion they have for the particular player. I also enjoy hearing the reason they ultimately chose the player they collect. Thanks for giving some background on why you chose Clemente; heís a great one.

I canít answer why other people donít post their player collections, but for me itís mainly the computer thing; just not good at it. With some help I may give it a try with a Brooks Robinson thread.

Sure do look forward to viewing 364 more Clemente items!

docpatlv 12-31-2017 01:28 PM

Thanks for the kind words fellas. I just wanted to add that I realized a long time ago that I will never have everything. Iím perfectly fine with losing out on items, whereas in the past it would have bothered me. Once I had kids, my priorities changed. Iím happy picking up pieces here and there nowadays.

docpatlv 01-01-2018 12:47 PM

Day 2

Happy New Year!

This next item was always a Holy Grail piece of memorabilia for me. One of the items I really wanted when I was younger. I purchased it at one of the old Fort Washington shows probably close to 20 years ago. It's in great shape, the only problems are a small defect in the "E" in Pirates and the signature decal. It seems as though when it was applied, the right side folded over. Other than that, no cracks or chips. Really tough nodder to find in nice condition.

1962 Bobbin' Head

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl...1962Nodder.jpg

docpatlv 01-02-2018 10:57 AM

Day 3

I purchased this photo in 1996 from Ed Dolan's Baseball Fanatic Super Store in New Jersey. When I brought it home later that day I remember my girlfriend (now my wife) saying..."You spent HOW much on that photo?!?!?"

But to me, it was well worth it, as this might be my favorite Roberto item. Nice, large signature which is much more bold when viewing in person. Not sure why the sig appears lighter in the photo. Personalized "To Dick", unfortunately that's not my name although I'm sure I've been called one on more than one occasion:)

1960s Roberto Clemente signed photo.

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl...gnedPhoto1.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl...to1Closeup.jpg

geosluggo 01-02-2018 11:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Looking forward to this thread. Clemente is my all-time favorite. I was 8 when he was killed and remember it on a gut level the way others remember the JFK assassination. I recently posted a pic of my Clemente card collection on another thread. Hereís a pic of one of my favorite Clemente items ó the 1967 Dexter Press photo.

Mark70Z 01-02-2018 05:36 PM

Clemente
 
Thought it couldnít get much better than the nodder, but then you break out the signed Roberto photo; that is just awesome!

docpatlv 01-02-2018 09:28 PM

George,

Thatís a nice Dexter Press. Mine is in lesser condition (Iíll post it at some point), not sure why I never upgraded. I guess thereís just always something else to purchase.

Mark,

Glad youíre enjoying the thread. I actually have a Roberto/Brooks item Iíll post at some point. Itís the only one Iíve ever seen. Stay tuned;)

rgpete 01-02-2018 09:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
.

hcv123 01-02-2018 10:01 PM

Kudos to the OP
 
1 Attachment(s)
I love that this thread was created. I love collecting Clemente. I will contribute some images as the thread continues. Check out this ultra rare 1971 Pin - It was originally going to be part of an MLB licensed issue, but for unconfirmed reason never made it to licensed. Just a few of them got out. I have seen 3-4 of the pins in 30 years collecting.

docpatlv 01-02-2018 11:31 PM

Very nice Howard! Thatís one I still donít have.

71buc 01-03-2018 01:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Great thread! I love that autographed photo. 365 unique items in a single thread is quite a feat. In an attempt to avoid the stealing of your thunder, and stepping on your thread, I will limit my periodic additions to items I think are at least a bit scare. I had this Willie Stargell ceramic bank and had heard that there was a Clemente version. However, after years of searching, I never found concrete evidence of its existence. I began to think it was the stuff of a hobby urban legend. That is until Howard confirmed it was a reality by sharing a photo of his. Ironically I found one shortly thereafter. Isn't that the way it always seems to work? The Clemente bank is on the right. I have only seen three of these Clemente banks. This tally includes Howards and my own. They are made of ceramic and stand about 12" tall. There is not a plug that can be used to remove the coins. The only way to retrieve the money was to literally break the bank which likely explains their scarcity.

PS: Howard I picked up one of those buttons in an auction out of Minnesota a couple of months ago so you can add to your total known to exist. Mine is of the facsimile signed version. I believe you said there is an unsigned one as well?

docpatlv 01-03-2018 10:10 AM

Those are great busts Mike! That's another item I don't have...sigh.

Day 4

I first saw this item around 1994 at the Fort Washington show. The dealer only had the single Clemente and was asking $900. I was still in school at the time so that was a little too rich for my blood.

Thanks to the Mile High find, I was able to add this next item to the collection. I posted a couple of scans to better show the detail. Some don't think they resemble the players well, but I think, at least in this instance, Roberto is accurately portrayed.

1968 Topps Plaks: Carl Yastrzemski-Harmon Killebrew-Roberto Clemente

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl...wClementeA.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl...ewClemente.jpg

Empty77 01-03-2018 07:39 PM

Very cool off-the-beaten-path stuff, fellas. I myself currently stick to the master list, which is daunting enough on it's own, and now to recognize how much else has come about over the years that are not so easily categorized is truly something...

hcv123 01-03-2018 11:40 PM

Great items guys!!
 
1 Attachment(s)
Those Plaks were practically non existent before the Mile High find. There are 3 different 3 player sprues with Clemente 1) Yaz - Killebrew-Clemente, 2) Wynn - Clemente - Santo and 3) Yastrzemski - Killebrew - Clemente


There are also 3 versions of the busts- The originals were done in 1973 (that's the one you have), They were recasted in gold in 1988 (I think) and then done again in color - I forget the year. The originals are super tough!

Anyone know how to easily resize an image? Please PM me - I have a lot of images - most of them too big to upload.

Check out this SUPER rare 1956 Pirates team issued 5x7.

docpatlv 01-04-2018 12:14 AM

Howard,

That is a great photo! I like to think that I have seen most Clemente items, but I have never seen that photo before.

docpatlv 01-04-2018 09:27 AM

Day 5

This is one of the other Plak panels that Howard was referring to above. There is one other panel combination that I don't have and that is the Kaline-Clemente-Yastrzemski. One interesting thing is how they changed Roberto's name on each of the base plates. The panel I posted on Day 4 has Roberto Clemente, this next one has his name as Robert Clemente, and the last has his name as R. Clemente.

I was able to pick up this panel on eBay about a year after I purchased the first one. You can tell that there were some modifications made between the panels (notably in the shoulder area). I'm assuming that the Mile High find consisted of prototypes. The Plaks that made it out to the public also seem to be on thicker sprues.

1968 Topps Plaks Panel: Wynn-Clemente-Santo

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl...enteSantoA.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl...menteSanto.jpg

hcv123 01-04-2018 05:37 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by docpatlv (Post 1735315)
Day 5

This is one of the other Plak panels that Howard was referring to above. There is one other panel combination that I don't have and that is the Kaline-Clemente-Yastrzemski. One interesting thing is how they changed Roberto's name on each of the base plates. The panel I posted on Day 4 has Roberto Clemente, this next one has his name as Robert Clemente, and the last has his name as R. Clemente.

I was able to pick up this panel on eBay about a year after I purchased the first one. You can tell that there were some modifications made between the panels (notably in the shoulder area). I'm assuming that the Mile High find consisted of prototypes. The Plaks that made it out to the public also seem to be on thicker sprues.

1968 Topps Plaks Panel: Wynn-Clemente-Santo

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl...enteSantoA.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl...menteSanto.jpg

Interesting - I knew about the "Clement" and "Clemente" differences, never realized the "R" and "Roberto". I had such a hard time spending "real" money on these as they are so darn ugly!! I still only have 1 single (from before the find) and 1 3 player sprue (and I'm done with them at that).

The photos I am posting today I know little about and have been unsuccessful in getting any information about them. If anyone has any please do share. The person I purchased them from said they were acquired during spring training 1960. They are on a medium weight cardboard stock and are about the size of 1975 topps mini's. As you can see they appear to be hand cut. I have not had them authenticated, but believe the signatures to be legit.

irv 01-04-2018 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docpatlv (Post 1734783)
Day 3

I purchased this photo in 1996 from Ed Dolan's Baseball Fanatic Super Store in New Jersey. When I brought it home later that day I remember my girlfriend (now my wife) saying..."You spent HOW much on that photo?!?!?"

But to me, it was well worth it, as this might be my favorite Roberto item. Nice, large signature which is much more bold when viewing in person. Not sure why the sig appears lighter in the photo. Personalized "To Dick", unfortunately that's not my name although I'm sure I've been called one on more than one occasion:)

1960s Roberto Clemente signed photo.

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl...gnedPhoto1.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl...to1Closeup.jpg

That photo would fit in most peoples collection, including mine. :D

docpatlv 01-05-2018 10:39 AM

Howard, have never seen those before. Maybe cut from an advertising sheet?

Thanks Dale, it's tough to find larger sized autographed photos of Roberto with a nice, clean signature.

Day 6

Sometimes you can still find great items at small card shows. I don't make it to too many card shows anymore, but I found this at a local mall show years ago.

To go along with the previous 2 items I posted...

1968 Topps Plak Checklist # 2 (National League). Tough item to find, may even be tougher than finding some of the Plaks themselves.

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl...psPlaksCLa.jpg

rgpete 01-05-2018 02:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Pirates Score Card with Clemente and Aaron

Mark70Z 01-05-2018 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docpatlv (Post 1735703)
Howard, have never seen those before. Maybe cut from an advertising sheet?

Thanks Dale, it's tough to find larger sized autographed photos of Roberto with a nice, clean signature.

Day 6

Sometimes you can still find great items at small card shows. I don't make it to too many card shows anymore, but I found this at a local mall show years ago.

To go along with the previous 2 items I posted...

1968 Topps Plak Checklist # 2 (National League). Tough item to find, may even be tougher than finding some of the Plaks themselves.

While Iím not that crazy about the Plaks; always thought they were a tad bit ugly (theyíve grown on me over the years). The Clemente doesnít look half bad and Iíd guess Iíd go after the Plaks if Brooks, the player I collect, was part of the grouping. Now the checklists are a totally different story; one of my favorites! Think they look so cool with all the different players pictured, in color, both front and back. Yours looks great; thanks for sharing.

hcv123 01-05-2018 07:35 PM

Nice Checklist!
 
1 Attachment(s)
Like was mentioned in previous post - the Plak checklist is SOOO much nicer than the Plak's. If I remember correctly there was some type of checklist proof or variation that sold in the Halper auction - I was an underbidder - anyone have a photo of or know where that went?

So about the image I am posting today: Horne's department store was a big pirates sponsor throughout at least the 50's and 60's that I am aware. There are a number of Pirate team items showing Horne's as the sponsor/producer. For the first time a few years ago I saw an autographed black and white photo of a Pirate's player from 1958 - dated and printed - saying it was from the players appearance at Horne's department store. I figured they would have advertised the appearance. I found digitally reproduced copies of the Pittsburgh papers from the week before the appearance (with the help of a fellow board member). I found an advertisement for the appearance. I then surmised that there would be a good likelihood that Clemente probably appeared at some point! Heart racing - I checked papers as far back as 1955 and went through 1962 (when ads stopped appearing). I don't recall, nor would I likely admit how much time I spent looking, but I found an ad mentioning an appearance by Clemente on September 15, 1960. A new item was added to my wantlist. Last year while searching the completed listings of ebay, I found a Clemente (not autographed) that had sold :(:mad: I had never seen the item before and it slipped away. I did what any die hard collector would - I contacted the seller and asked him to contact the buyer on my behalf offering to double his money - no response. Damn. A few months later another pops up offered by the same seller :eek::D - Thankfully the seller responded very quickly to my "best offer" saving me a few bucks in the process. The signature is facsimile. The things we do for our collections!!

71buc 01-06-2018 04:44 AM

Awesome Howard! What a fun thread.

Mark70Z 01-06-2018 09:46 AM

Howard,

Youíve already posted two Clemente items Iíve never seen; very cool!

Not only is this thread great with all the interesting Clemente items, but the background is so very interesting as well.

docpatlv 01-06-2018 04:18 PM

Day 7

This is actually the second to the last regular issue Topps card I picked up. Not sure why it took so long, I guess I just have a hard time paying for a card that is readily available. I'd rather spend more for the rare items. Not high grade, but good enough eye appeal for me.

The best part is that it was actually purchased using eBay Bucks (when you used to get a decent percentage on purchases).

1955 Topps Rookie...

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl.../1955Topps.jpg

docpatlv 01-07-2018 12:16 PM

Day 8

I picked up the next item off of eBay many years ago. Great shape with no creases. I have seen a few of these pop up on eBay over the last year.

1962 Post full box panel with 3 HOFers...

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl...tFullPanel.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl...nelCloseup.jpg

hcv123 01-07-2018 10:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by docpatlv (Post 1736071)
Day 7

I guess I just have a hard time paying for a card that is readily available. I'd rather spend more for the rare items.

I am 1000% with you on that one Mike. Still need to fill in most of the regular issue Topps cards in my master set. Interestingly his rookie was the first card I purchased of Clemente back around 1980 - it was the beginning of my Clemente collection. Yes, I still have it and I don't think I want to have it graded - probably purchase a different one for my master set!


So the image below at first glance looks like a 1967 Topps pinup. When you look a little closer - it is actually printed on sticker stock similar to the 1967 Pirate Test Stickers and 1968 Action all star stickers. It also is missing a number. I have had it under high magnification and shown it to numerous people - it is not a copy , but an original and no one has been able to say they have ever seen another - likely a one of a kind prototype during Topps experimental days!! I have not had the autograph looked at for authenticity. I have posted it before, but believe it is most at home in this thread.

docpatlv 01-07-2018 11:28 PM

That's a rare one there Howard! However, it's only fitting that it should belong to a Mike...lol.

What size is it, and if you don't mind me asking, where did you find it?

the 'stache 01-08-2018 02:19 AM

Doc, I am loving this thread. I very much look forward to watching it progress throughout the year.

I have two favorite baseball players-Robin Yount, and Roberto Clemente. Unfortunately, Roberto died much too young for me to ever see him in person. But I read or watch anything and everything I can find about the man. I only have a few of his Topps cards, but when I can start working on my collection again in a few months, I plan on building my Clemente collection. You'll inspire me!

docpatlv 01-08-2018 10:55 AM

Bill,

Thanks for the nice words! Keep checking in on the thread, only 356 days to go:(

Day 9

Had been trying to track down this next item for a while, purchased it as part of a near set earlier this year. Missing only Skinner, which I'll probably never get.

1963 I.D.L. Drug Store...

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl...DLPirates1.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl...DLPirates2.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl...DLPirates3.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl...DLPirates4.jpg

sflayank 01-08-2018 11:22 AM

Skinner
 
I dont beluwve skinner exists

docpatlv 01-08-2018 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflayank (Post 1736542)
I dont beluwve skinner exists

You're probably right Larry. I don't actively search for it, but if you haven't seen it, then I doubt it exists.

rats60 01-08-2018 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hcv123 (Post 1736458)
I am 1000% with you on that one Mike. Still need to fill in most of the regular issue Topps cards in my master set. Interestingly his rookie was the first card I purchased of Clemente back around 1980 - it was the beginning of my Clemente collection. Yes, I still have it and I don't think I want to have it graded - probably purchase a different one for my master set!

Do you remember what you paid for your Clemente RC? My first one I paid 1.00 for I'm the 70s. When I got back into the hobby in 1984 after taking a few years off, they were 75.

hcv123 01-08-2018 06:47 PM

replies...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by docpatlv (Post 1736473)
That's a rare one there Howard! However, it's only fitting that it should belong to a Mike...lol.

What size is it, and if you don't mind me asking, where did you find it?

I noticed and thought about that after I posted :D If I recall correctly the same or about the same size as pinup. It came from a contact out of Pittsburgh.




Quote:

Originally Posted by rats60 (Post 1736575)
Do you remember what you paid for your Clemente RC? My first one I paid 1.00 for I'm the 70s. When I got back into the hobby in 1984 after taking a few years off, they were 75.

Oh, I remember very well what "I" paid for mine - my price was about 45 minutes of crying, pleading, cajoling, negotiating, etc. to get my dear mother God rest her soul to shell out $48 for it (It was listed at $86 in CPU at the time). That card was (and is) coveted! Have plenty worth more $, but that one is still my "most valuable"!

btcarfagno 01-08-2018 10:38 PM

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/y...syszsprob.jpeg

The letter sent by Branch Rickey and the Pirates to the Montreal Royals the day that they drafted Clemente away from them in 1954. It is dated the day of the draft.

hcv123 01-09-2018 12:30 AM

AWESOME letter Tom! Thanks for sharing it.

docpatlv 01-09-2018 11:31 AM

Day 10

This is probably one of my favorite photos of Clemente and it doesn't even picture Roberto. A bittersweet day this must have been, the expression on her face tells all.

1973 Snapshot photo of Vera Clemente accepting Roberto's HOF plaque from commissioner Bowie Kuhn...

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl...onSnapshot.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl...SnapshotBk.jpg

71buc 01-09-2018 03:02 PM

Love that snap shot. If you ever want to move it I'm your guy.

jason.1969 01-09-2018 03:40 PM

Whoever took that pic had a great seat!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

docpatlv 01-10-2018 10:29 AM

Day 11

Purchased this next item off eBay, tough to find especially in nice condition. This one looks like it came right off the shelf. The resemblance of these statues to the players is uncanny...lol, but for some reason I like these. Maybe it's the package as a whole with the stadium scene in the background and cards on the back.

1970 Transogram 3-player box: Bob Gibson-Roberto Clemente- Jerry Koosman

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl...3PlayerSet.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl...PlayerSet2.jpg

jason.1969 01-10-2018 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docpatlv (Post 1737247)
Day 11

Purchased this next item off eBay, tough to find especially in nice condition. This one looks like it came right off the shelf. The resemblance of these statues to the players is uncanny...lol, but for some reason I like these. Maybe it's the package as a whole with the stadium scene in the background and cards on the back.

1970 Transogram 3-player box: Bob Gibson-Roberto Clemente- Jerry Koosman

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl...3PlayerSet.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl...PlayerSet2.jpg

Beautiful!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

docpatlv 01-10-2018 11:05 AM

Thank you Jason. Funny thing is, I bought this from a seller many years ago, but after my experiences with him at shows over the years, I would never spend another dime with him.

docpatlv 01-10-2018 11:05 AM

Double post

71buc 01-11-2018 12:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by docpatlv (Post 1736932)
Day 10

This is probably one of my favorite photos of Clemente and it doesn't even picture Roberto. A bittersweet day this must have been, the expression on her face tells all.

1973 Snapshot photo of Vera Clemente accepting Roberto's HOF plaque from commissioner Bowie Kuhn...

Here is a Type 1 photo of Roberto and Vera during happier times on Roberto Clemente Night at Shea Stadium on September 24, 1971.

Mark70Z 01-11-2018 10:27 AM

Clemente
 
Really like that snapshot photo; looks like a professional pic. I have a photo ďsomewhereĒ that has very similar writing on the back; possibility same photographer. A goal this year is to be more organized so hopefully Iíll get my act together.

The Transogram piece looks brand new. I donít understand why they even put their names on the packaging since the plastic figures ďalmostĒ have an exact likeness. Wonder how they chose who was going to be in the three pack?

Iím a sucker for photos so the recent posting of the B&W pic is very cool. While I donít personally have a lot of phots Iíd like to add more in the future. Should have added them earlier since the pricing for Type 1 photographs are going up quickly in price.

docpatlv 01-11-2018 10:28 AM

Nice photo Mike!

Day 12

This next item is much tougher than the previous item I posted (3-player Transogram box with cards and statues). I purchased it on eBay years ago in a group of about 12 single boxes. I have since sold the rest, but kept the Clemente. I can't remember the last time I saw a single Clemente but it seems like it has been years.

1969 Transogram boxed statue with card...not sure why the 2nd photo appears hazy, it is not like that in hand.

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl...amClemente.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl...mClemente2.jpg

eldon80 01-12-2018 05:16 AM

Clemente
 
Great thread, and I'll really be looking forward to this! Thanks a lot for sharing your collection!

docpatlv 01-12-2018 08:43 AM

Thanks Eldon, hope you enjoy the rest!

Day 13

Similar to the busts that Mike (71buc) posted earlier in this thread, this item was issued later than the originals in 1973.

1988 Ivo Zini gold painted bust...

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl...oZiniBust2.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl...voZiniBust.jpg

71buc 01-12-2018 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docpatlv (Post 1737894)
Thanks Eldon, hope you enjoy the rest!

Day 13

Similar to the busts that Mike (71buc) posted earlier in this thread, this item was issued later than the originals in 1973.

1988 Ivo Zini gold painted bust...

I have always been curious about that one. Is it solid or is it a coin bank with a slot like originals?

docpatlv 01-12-2018 10:58 AM

Mike,

I'm pretty sure it is solid, but I will find out.

Edited to add: It is solid

docpatlv 01-13-2018 01:23 PM

Day 14

Roberto does not have a lot of vintage pins (especially PM10s) compared to Mantle or Mays, but this is one of my favorites.

1969 MLB Pinback...


http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl...MLBPinback.jpg

docpatlv 01-14-2018 04:27 PM

Day 15

1956 Topps Regular Issue and Team card...

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl.../1956Topps.jpg

Mark70Z 01-14-2018 07:33 PM

Clemente
 
Roberto has a good number of regular issue cards and this is probably my favorite. The Ď72 is a close second; love the look of that card!

docpatlv 01-14-2018 08:02 PM

Mark,

I agree, the 72 Topps regular and In Action are two of my favorites.

docpatlv 01-15-2018 09:01 AM

Day 16

When I first purchased this next item, it was genuinely a tough item to acquire. Many years later there was a find of these (still sealed in original packaging) which made them much more available and much cheaper as well. I have purchased duplicates of these over the last few years because of that find.

1960 Pittsburgh Pirates Wallet...

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl...tesWallet1.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl...tesWallet2.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl...allet3and4.jpg

hcv123 01-16-2018 07:18 AM

Great items Mike!
 
2 Attachment(s)
Really enjoying the thread. So the card I'm posting is on most Clemente Collectors (and many non Clemente collectors) want lists. Many have never seen one. Ironically the first time I saw a 1958 Kahn's Clemente was at the first Robert Morris show I set up at (2nd show that was ever run there). I was overwhelmed with the number of Clemente items - many of which at the time I had never seen. When a guy walked in and showed me his 58 Kahn's (in really nice condition) - it was just another Clemente card I hadn't seen yet. He wanted "full book" price on it (at the time I think $500-$600). He said if I wouldn't pay full book for it, I had no idea what I was looking at. Neither of us budged. He was right! It took years before I held another in my hands. I have been fortunate enough to have owned 3 of them (2 of them long ago sold to other collectors) in the last 30 years - the one pictured is far and away the best condition one I have had. As a beginning to understanding how tough this card is -PSA has graded 32 Kahn's Clemente's from 1957, 23 from 1959 (another tough card) and just 7 from 1958. I just googled "1958 Kahn's Clemente" and not 1 image of this card appeared (I did spot images of every other Clemente Kahn's issue. Definitely one of the highlights of my collection. I have never understood or heard speculation as to why this card (and the 58 set in general) is so much tougher than any other. Enjoy!

docpatlv 01-16-2018 10:55 AM

Howard,

That is a gorgeous card! I still don't have one, and probably never will. I have no idea why it's so scarce either. Love the unique pose.

Day 17

Another item that I've been able to obtain multiples of. One of my favorite pocket schedules.

1961 Otto Milk Pirates pocket schedule...and dupes.

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl...lkSchedule.jpghttp://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl...ScheduleBk.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl...eduleDupes.jpg

rats60 01-16-2018 12:59 PM

Jim Beckett had a 58 Kahns and he pictured it in his Annual Price Guide. I always figured that I would be able to find one because of that. 7 is a low population, but I have found cards with lower populations.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4453/...19e34461e3.jpg

This has a psa pop 5 and is highest graded.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4679/...4ac5536eda.jpg

This has a psa pop of 5 with 1 higher.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4601/...dc0f6c4181.jpg

This has a psa pop of 5 with 1 higher. 2 sold last year.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4548/...29bf4127fe.jpg

This is my favorite card. It has a psa pop of 3 with 2 graded Auth.

So I have hope that one day I will get a 58 Kahns.

sflayank 01-16-2018 03:44 PM

punchout
 
be glad you have your punchout labelled and graded
apparently psa will no longer label the varieties on punchouts

71buc 01-17-2018 02:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
This set of 1971 Pittsburgh Pirates Autograph Cards is one of my favorites. It was hard for me to come by a nice complete set with the checklists. If you are so inclined to put this set together for some reason PSA will not grade the checklists. If interested here is the population report. https://www.psacard.com/pop/baseball...ph-cards/94568 I doubt it reflects the availability of the cards as I am sure that there are few people who actually grade them. There are 34 graded Clementes so that may serve as some what of a barometer?

docpatlv 01-17-2018 12:10 PM

Great stuff rats60 and Mike!

Day 18

This is the first baseball I picked up with Roberto's autograph. I picked it up the same year that I purchased the signed photo in one of my earlier posts. Again, purchased from Ed Dolan's Baseball Fanatic Super Store in NJ. Does anyone know if Ed's store is still open? It was, by far, my favorite store to shop at back in the day.

1964 Pittsburgh Pirates Team signed ONL baseball...

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl...esTmSigned.jpg

Mark70Z 01-17-2018 05:47 PM

Clemente
 
Wow! Some very cool and rare items being shown; oddball and test issue items are always my favorite. The Ď58 Kahnís is very nice; I donít believe Iíve seen this particular year before. While Iím not to crazy about the looks of the Stand-ups I guess I just like them because of their rarity and the Clemente is no exception. Sure wish Brooksie was part of the grouping.

Zact 01-17-2018 09:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
One of my better Bazooka cards 1968 Clemente PSA 8

71buc 01-18-2018 07:55 AM

That Bazooka Card is beautiful

docpatlv 01-18-2018 09:28 AM

Day 19

This is the only complete box I have in my collection, picked it up at a local card show many years ago.

1965 Bazooka Complete Box...

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl...BazookaBox.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl...zookaBoxBk.jpg

71buc 01-18-2018 10:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Mike that box is incredible too bad it didn't feature Willie Stargell on the far right;)

Although I don't necessarily collect Clemente photos I have a number of them. This one happens to be my favorite. I share it with a bit of trepidation. It is an original 11" X 14"Les Banos photo printed high quality archival paper. I think it is one of the most beautiful images of Roberto and is seldom seen. I placed a rudimentary, and hopefully unobtrusive, watermark on it to protect it from theft. Unfortunately there have been a number of photos I have posted that have been copied and put up for sale eBay.

Banos was the Pirate team photographer for many years. He doesn't seem to get the credit he deserves as an artist. His work can be expensive and due to this I only have a few examples. You can read more about him here if interested.

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/obi...s/201204260372

docpatlv 01-18-2018 01:01 PM

Great photo Mike! Why do the borders appear that way, is it in a frame?

71buc 01-18-2018 02:00 PM

That's the way it was printed. It's not in a frame or matted.

Empty77 01-19-2018 12:02 AM

Never ever seen even a pic of '67 stand-up until this; only knew of it by name...cool.

docpatlv 01-19-2018 12:35 PM

Day 20

This next item shows up every once in a while, but I think it's still a pretty tough item to come by, especially if you're looking for a particular panel.

1968 Topps Action All-Stars Sticker Full Panel...

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl...onAllStars.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl...StarsClose.jpg

Mark70Z 01-20-2018 07:42 AM

1968 Topps AS Sticker Panel
 
Great looking Ď68 AS Sticker Panel. Thatís an item that I donít have the full panel; I do have the one panel with Brooks included. Also I have a proof of this item and I think itís the only piece I have with Clemente and Brooks included together. Iíve seen them come up for sale a couple of times over the years and have come up short.

docpatlv 01-20-2018 11:58 AM

Mark,

I don't have the other panel with Clemente on it, I don't see that one show up very often.

*Day # 21*

Well, on day # 21, I thought I'd post a couple of my favorite Roberto items. Not the most expensive, but tough to find. They do pop up for auction every now and then. A few years ago, a trio appeared on eBay in one lot, but I was one of the underbidders. If I didn't have it already, I probably would have made more of an attempt to win the lot.

Here's an exerpt from Worthpoint:

"This rare button celebrates Roberto Clemente Day at Shea Stadium September 24, 1971. It was sponsored by the NYC Spanish language radio station WADO 1280, which is still on the air. Clemente was honored while he was still alive (died 12/31/72). The button is 2 1/4" in diameter..."

1971 WADO pins...

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl...DOPinbacks.jpg

chlankf 01-20-2018 10:02 PM

Home Plate
 
2 Attachment(s)
Picked this up a few years ago at a Royals game stadium auction. Never really fit in my collecting scope but picked it up anyway. It was used on Roberto Clemente Day game in KC for the opening pitch.

If would fit into someone's Pirate or Clemente collection, PM me. I'd enjoy this going into the proper collection. Great display, shame it's stored in a tub in my basement.

docpatlv 01-21-2018 02:25 PM

Haven't seen that home plate before Craig, thanks for sharing.

Day 22

1962 Kahn's Wiener card...

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl.../1962Kahns.jpg


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.