Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Help ID'ing 1941 PCL issue & 1940s Nashville Vols issue? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=137550)

Leon 06-01-2011 08:35 AM

Help ID'ing 1941 PCL issue & 1940s Nashville Vols issue?

2 Attachment(s)
I have this listed as a 1941 Seattle Raniers PCL issue. Can anyone confirm that or does anyone have another of these, or any other info? The size is approx. 6 1/8" x 4 1/8" and it's on thin cardboard stock. My guess is that it is in fact a team issued premium...but I don't know that for sure. Any help is appreciated. regards

Since there has been such overwhelming response to the original card id question I figure I will throw another out in the same thread :o. If my math is correct 0 + 0 = 0 is still correct :). So, my assumption is that this Mel Hicks card/photo was put out by the Vols, maybe in a picture pack, to promote the team in the early-mid 1940's (when Mel played)? Same as the last question...any ideas or has anyone seen another one? I am sure each of these "cards" is not valuable even if they are the only ones known...I just want to consider how I should catalog them. My initial thoughts are using the catch-all ACC # of "H-Unc"....(at least I use it as a catch-all for any ad cards)....This Hicks card is approx. 4 x 5 and is glossy as a picture is....regards

Leon 06-01-2011 09:51 AM

good info

Another very nice lurker sent me some information on the 1941 card and has allowed it to be shared. One down and one to go....

"This was a give away at a Bill Lawrence night at Sick's Stadium in 1941. I have a newspaper article which announces this tribute night, including a mention of the picture give away. To cement the association further, the scrapbook that has the article also has one of these premiums glued in. If I can locate it fairly easily, I'll scan you a copy of the article.

I believe that this is a "one off", ie, they didn't produce these give aways for any other "player night" games. The Seattle ballclub did, however, give away 5"x7" photos of Babe Ruth at Sicks' Stadium at his last appearance in Seattle in 1948."

DixieBaseball 06-01-2011 10:34 AM

Vols Issue

4 Attachment(s)
Hi Leon,
The Vols 4x5 Photo's are perhaps one of a kind (each player photo), as I remember snagging a few of these off ebay a 3 years ago. When I contacted the original local seller (He actually lives 5 miles from me) he told me he had just bought them at a local estate sale here in Nashville. I have never seen 2 of any player, but have seen perhaps a dozen or so players from the team with the same photo/studio stamp. (All of these were sold at the same time on ebay individually in 2008 the best of my recollection) In my records, I show the issue is from 1943. I will inquire further re/ these items with a few local/historian/Nash Vol experts to see if I can find their origin... Here are my "Renegar Studio" contribution :