Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Opinions and Value on Lynyrd Skynyrd (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=257106)

RichardSimon 07-05-2018 07:26 AM

Opinions and Value on Lynyrd Skynyrd

1 Attachment(s)
The backstory seems solid on this. I really need some idea on value, if anyone can help. The signatures are on a blank page in a school yearbook.
Thanks in advance.

hedgefund96 07-05-2018 09:41 AM

I wish I could help, great stuff. I saw them in 1976 in NYC. GREAT concert!!!

Duluth Eskimo 07-05-2018 11:40 AM

Great and really tough piece. Sorry, I can’t be of help.

Klrdds 07-05-2018 04:44 PM

Great piece of a "cursed " band who still are popular both in their original form and in the updated touring group. Not a lot of signatures from the original Lynyrd Skynyrd group are out there and what are rarely enter the market.
This is from 1975-1976 based on the inscription by Artimus Pyle as the album ( remember those ?) Nuthin Fancy was released in 1975 . This was his first album with the group as their drummer. You have 5 of the 7 members of the group at that time . I have seen a signed program of the 7 members signed on their photos inside sell for about $2500.00. Unfortunately your item doesn't have Ed King who left after the release of Nuthin Fancy and the most important signature of Steve Gaines , who along with Ronnie Van Zant was killed in the plane crash of the band but is considered a rarer signature.
My guess would be $1400 - $1800 . That's just a guess based on what you have .

mr2686 07-05-2018 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klrdds (Post 1792440)
Great piece of a "cursed " band who still are popular both in their original form and in the updated touring group. Not a lot of signatures from the original Lynyrd Skynyrd group are out there and what are rarely enter the market.
This is from 1975-1976 based on the inscription by Artimus Pyle as the album ( remember those ?) Nuthin Fancy was released in 1975 . This was his first album with the group as their drummer. You have 5 of the 7 members of the group at that time . I have seen a signed program of the 7 members signed on their photos inside sell for about $2500.00. Unfortunately your item doesn't have Ed King who left after the release of Nuthin Fancy and the most important signature of Steve Gaines , who along with Ronnie Van Zant was killed in the plane crash of the band but is considered a rarer signature.
My guess would be $1400 - $1800 . That's just a guess based on what you have .

Based on the sigs and the medium, I'd say that's right on target.

whitey19thcentury 07-05-2018 09:57 PM

For full disclosure, Skynyrd is my favorite band of all time and a collecting interest of mine, just after the sports stuff.
Fantastic piece, simply fantastic. Signatures are 1000% legit, too. It is too bad Steve Gaines did not sign this. Even so, this piece is a solid $1500.
The overlooked key is that all of the signatures are "full name". I have seen, and handled, Skynyrd pieces signed by the members with just their first names. Ronnie seemed especially keen on signing his name like that.
With Gaines, this would be a $2500 piece due to large, full name sigs and all are on the same side of a single piece of paper, suitable for framing.

whitey19thcentury 07-05-2018 10:00 PM

One last thing, where is the yearbook from? It may bump the value up a bit if it is from their old high school (Robert E. Lee in Jacksonville) and if the infamous (or famous) Leonard Skinner is pictured in it, let alone if he signed it, too.
I know this dates to when they were long out of school, but just wanted to know the high school out of curiosity sake.

Mr. Zipper 07-06-2018 07:17 AM

I do not know these signatures and can’t offer a direct opinion.

But it did strike me that every signature has a generic sentiment, yet there isn’t one personalization. Best wishes, God bless you, etc...

Is that typical for their signing habits or a potential red flag?

mr2686 07-06-2018 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper (Post 1792576)
I do not know these signatures and can’t offer a direct opinion.

But it did strike me that every signature has a generic sentiment, yet there isn’t one personalization. Best wishes, God bless you, etc...

Is that typical for their signing habits or a potential red flag?

Yeah, pretty typical. Either just their names, or something simple. As said before, Ronnie often just put his first name, Rossington often put God bless you, Pyle had some variation of the example in this thread, etc. I'm not the ultimate Skynyrd expert, but I can't remember seeing anything I'd call a real personalization like "To John", etc.

RichardSimon 07-06-2018 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitey19thcentury (Post 1792536)
One last thing, where is the yearbook from? It may bump the value up a bit if it is from their old high school (Robert E. Lee in Jacksonville) and if the infamous (or famous) Leonard Skinner is pictured in it, let alone if he signed it, too.
I know this dates to when they were long out of school, but just wanted to know the high school out of curiosity sake.

I asked the seller for that info.