Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What the heck!! Im baffled! (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=227899)

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 09-01-2016 11:29 AM

What the heck!! Im baffled!

So I was going through my dodger programs, and was pissed because I accidentally purchased 2 over time from the may 4th 1950 game at Wrigley. I remembered when receiving the 1st program which was scored, it had Robinson Homering in his 2nd AB but when I went to Baseball Reference and Baseball Almanac there was NO home run recorded. Now here is where I am baffled. The 2nd program is also scored (totally different handwriting) and also has Robinson Homering in the 3rd. I am so so so so confused. Anyone have any ideas at all as to what could have happened?

parker1b2 09-01-2016 11:36 AM

Can you show a pic of the scoring? Robinson did score a run in the 3rd

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 09-01-2016 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parker1b2 (Post 1579759)
Can you show a pic of the scoring? Robinson did score a run in the 3rd

Here you go. Thanks

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/17v3onz6.jpg

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/nokugjtz.jpg

vintagesportscollector 09-01-2016 11:59 AM

What's interesting is two different hands, but the same unique simple method of scoring. There are also scoring difference between the two. I think the first was just scored incorrectly, and the second tried to copy the first. Did you get these from the same source?

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 09-01-2016 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagesportscollector (Post 1579775)
What's interesting is two different hands, but the same unique simple method of scoring. There are also scoring difference between the two. I think the first was just scored incorrectly, and the second tried to copy the first. Did you get these from the same source?

No, thats the thing... I picked these up from 2 totally different people. One not even being a collector.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 09-01-2016 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE (Post 1579777)
No, thats the thing... I picked these up from 2 totally different people. One not even being a collector.

Looks like Bankhead is one and Radford is another on the SP?

vintagesportscollector 09-01-2016 12:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
A lot of differences. Look closer. Looks like the second tried to copy the first and couldn't read the handwriting.

Attachment 243666

Attachment 243667

vintagesportscollector 09-01-2016 12:30 PM

who knows what happened. I wouldn't get too dazed and confused over it. Perhaps at one point these were scored together by two brothers, one trying to copy the other. Perhaps someone tried to fake the second one. Seems like a big coincidence they would both be reunited with you.., but, who knows...

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 09-01-2016 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagesportscollector (Post 1579787)
who knows what happened. I wouldn't get too dazed and confused over it. Perhaps at one point these were scored together by two brothers, one trying to copy the other. Perhaps someone tried to fake the second one. Seems like a big coincidence they would both be reunited with you.., but, who knows...

I know! That's why I was so stumped. I remember opening the first one up and saying oh nice a HOME RUN! then after baseball reference proved otherwise I was bummed. Then I just noticed the 2nd one today and was like what the heck? Anyways, I need to unload one if anyone is interested PM me. Thanks for the input guys.

Shoeless Moe 09-01-2016 01:16 PM

maybe they took the home run away from him on review;)

Huck 09-01-2016 04:37 PM

From perusing the box score. Robinson had 5 plate appearances. He totaled 3 at bats. He was walked twice (once intentionally). His at bats consisted of reaching base on an error (E6, top of the third), a double (top of the fourth) and some kind of an out (top of the eighth). Perhaps what looks like HR is actually ER.

Huck 09-01-2016 04:42 PM

As I look closer at the top card, the little squiggle on what is being seen as an R in HR, sure looks like a tiny 6 to me. There was an error on that play, E6. Perhaps, the spectator initially wrote H (single) and the official scorer ruled E6. I don't see many erasures on the page. I agree with the other poster, that the bottom card was copied.

sbfinley 09-01-2016 05:12 PM

Robinson reached on an error in the 3rd and then later scored.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 09-01-2016 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biohazard (Post 1579875)
As I look closer at the top card, the little squiggle on what is being seen as an R in HR, sure looks like a tiny 6 to me. There was an error on that play, E6. Perhaps, the spectator initially wrote H (single) and the official scorer ruled E6. I don't see many erasures on the page. I agree with the other poster, that the bottom card was copied.

Whoa great catch!!! That does look like a 6!

doug.goodman 09-01-2016 07:26 PM

Hi Stephen -

I'm of the opinion that Retrosheet is way easier to score programs with than either BBA or BR, and I actually think both of the other sites get their play by play info from Retrosheet to begin with.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1...040CHN1950.htm

I'll take the extra copy of that program off you when we work out our next "deal".

Doug

Huck 09-02-2016 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug.goodman (Post 1579958)
Hi Stephen -

I'm of the opinion that Retrosheet is way easier to score programs with than either BBA or BR, and I actually think both of the other sites get their play by play info from Retrosheet to begin with.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1...040CHN1950.htm

I'll take the extra copy of that program off you when we work out our next "deal".

Doug

Question. In this niche of the hobby, is it acceptable to score a game on a period score card decades later? I would think not, but I would bet it occurs. How much of a premium does one add for a scored program? I don't collect programs/score cards, although I do have a few in the collection that came from purchasing card collections. The graphics and advertising is what catches my attention. It is cool to see the game properly scored on the inside.

vintagesportscollector 09-02-2016 07:17 AM

Question. In this niche of the hobby, is it acceptable to score a game on a period score card decades later?

IMO absolutely NOT.

doug.goodman 09-02-2016 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biohazard (Post 1580040)
Question. In this niche of the hobby, is it acceptable to score a game on a period score card decades later? I would think not, but I would bet it occurs.

No.

Quote:

How much of a premium does one add for a scored program? I don't collect programs/score cards, although I do have a few in the collection that came from purchasing card collections. The graphics and advertising is what catches my attention. It is cool to see the game properly scored on the inside.
I have zero interest in unscored programs, so I place a premium on those that are scored, but I believe that I may be in the minority when it comes to scorecard collectors, occasionally seeing a lowering of the price due to "writing inside".

I also like folds, mustard stains, and general "usage" marks.

But that's just me.

Doug