Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Plant ID help (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=241368)

digdugdig 06-21-2017 07:12 PM

Plant ID help

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone know what these brown/green foliage plants are?

Michael B 06-21-2017 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digdugdig (Post 1673277)
Anyone know what these brown/green foliage plants are?

It looks like Hosta (plantain lily). Most hosta grow in clumps though some are rhizomotous (roots branching out underground creating new shoots). The lance shape of the leaves is one of the four main leaf styles. I could be mistaken, but that is what I first thought of when I saw them. They make good ground cover and you will find varieties that thrive in the bright sun and in shade.

Cliff Bowman 06-21-2017 08:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Certainly not an expert, but it looks like pre flowering canna to me.

pclpads 06-21-2017 09:07 PM

What he said - canna lillies.

digdugdig 06-22-2017 08:57 AM

Thanks guys.
What little research I could find, I was leaning toward canna as well.

JollyElm 06-22-2017 02:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'll keep this thread going. What the heck are these California things?

Attachment 277516

They are larger than grapefruits and are all misshapen with really thick green/yellow (depending on the stage of ripening) skin. The first thought that came to mind was Ugli fruit (or whatever the common name is), but I honestly have no idea. Everywhere you go out here, there are orange, lemon, plum, persimmon, apple, and other fruit trees…everywhere…but I've only seen one of these suckers. Anyone??

Bocabirdman 06-22-2017 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 1673516)
I'll keep this thread going. What the heck are these California things?

Attachment 277516

They are larger than grapefruits and are all misshapen with really thick green/yellow (depending on the stage of ripening) skin. The first thought that came to mind was ugli fruit (or whatever the common name is), but I honestly have no idea. Everywhere you go out here, there are orange, lemon, plum, persimmon, apple, and other fruit trees…everywhere…but I've only seen one of these suckers. Anyone??

Ugli fruit is my guess....

Michael B 06-25-2017 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman (Post 1673301)
Certainly not an expert, but it looks like pre flowering canna to me.

I would agree. My mother is the gardener. I guess it does not rub off even though she points out the plants and tells me what they are.

Paul S 06-26-2017 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digdugdig (Post 1673410)
Thanks guys.
What little research I could find, I was leaning toward canna as well.

Definitly cana. My friend grows them every summer and then got me started on it. At the end of the season you can break the sections of a single root (you'll know where when you see it) and store them for the next year.