Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   T207 Back Multipliers (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=258322)

marcdelpercio 08-12-2018 09:22 PM

Very much in agreement with all of Ron's points. I finally completed my set after about 5-6 years of effort and it remains my favorite of all pre-war sets. The interesting player selection (a large percentage of the players, including multiple HOF'ers, appear on very few, if any, other tobacco cards...some on no other contemporary cards at all), the challenge in completing the set, the great player write-ups, and the completely unique look and feel of it make it number one in my opinion. I've never really understood the lack of love for the set. Perhaps the relative lack of top-tier HOF'ers or the drab color scheme are turnoffs for some, but I love the design and, as difficult as a bunch of these are, I'm quite thankful that I didn't have to chase a Cobb, Wagner, Mathewson, etc.

frohme 08-13-2018 08:25 AM

Oy!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bridwell (Post 1803254)
[...]

It's a good challenge trying to find higher grade cards of this set. I also like that all the images of every player seem to be unique to this set.

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcdelpercio (Post 1803266)
[...]
The interesting player selection (a large percentage of the players, including multiple HOF'ers, appear on very few, if any, other tobacco cards...some on no other contemporary cards at all), the challenge in completing the set, the great player write-ups, and the completely unique look and feel of it make it number one in my opinion. I've never really understood the lack of love for the set. Perhaps the relative lack of top-tier HOF'ers or the drab color scheme are turnoffs for some, but I love the design and, as difficult as a bunch of these are, I'm quite thankful that I didn't have to chase a Cobb, Wagner, Mathewson, etc.

Absolutely agree with both of your points, Ron and Marc, and good to hear from you - figured some of the other more recent set completers would chime in.

Marc, - those of us on love side of '...its love vs hate with this set...' are probably in the minority, but its also number one in my book.

Ron, you probably know this better than anyone, but even finding several of these cards (outisde the ones you have listed) at VG/Ex-Ex is a real challenge, much less better than that ... and those are primarily the Recruit class! The fact that they're also (generally) in the "Anon 3" class is no coincidence, I suspect.

Always fun to see "new-to-the-hobby" cards and quality cards appear, as they do from time-to-time. Keeps things interesting.

--
Mike

ValKehl 08-13-2018 03:46 PM

6 Attachment(s)
George Mogridge was a key pitcher for the only Senators team to ever win a World Series. At age 35, his 1924 regular-season record was 16 - 11, which included 13 complete games. In the 1924 WS, Mogridge was the starting and winning pitcher in Game 4. Manager Bucky Harris, "The Boy Wonder," was in a quandry as to whom to start in Game 7, as WaJo had already lost in his two starts. So, Harris started journeyman Curly Ogden in a successful ploy to get John McGraw to start the lineup he used against right-handed pitchers. Ogden pitched to two batters, getting one out, whereupon Harris brought in lefty Mogridge, who pitched the next 4.2 innings, allowing only one earned run. This kept the Senators in the game until they tied the Giants in the 8th inning and won it in the 12th inning with WaJo being the winner in relief.

So, here's my shameless plug. I collect cards of all the 1924 Senators. I am seeking a Mogridge T207 with the Anonymous Factory 3 back - thanks in advance to anyone who can help me. I do have the other three known Mogridge cards which are pictured below:

matthew 08-13-2018 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frohme (Post 1802730)
Glad to see a T207 post ...

YES!

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1802190)
Why are there no T207 set collectors anymore? Of the T205/06/07 trio it's clearly the least popular, but it's still a heck of an interesting set. I'm surprised to hear that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sb1 (Post 1802195)
Barry,

There are very few set collectors of most T & E sets in this era, T206 is obviously the most widely collected in some form of set format. In nearly all of the others, the Cobb, Wagner, Johnson and Mathewson are about the only cards that the collectors of today seem to want. T207 having only the Johnson of the above has never been that popular, and now it is even less so. I bet a head count of the board would show less than 5 people pursuing the set, perhaps as few as 3.

Add me to the list of crazy people trying to complete this set. I love the obscure players

frohme 08-13-2018 07:55 PM

Mogridge

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValKehl (Post 1803464)
[...]
So, here's my shameless plug. I collect cards of all the 1924 Senators. I am seeking a Mogridge T207 with the Anonymous Factory 3 back - thanks in advance to anyone who can help me. I do have the other three known Mogridge cards which are pictured below:

Tough, tough cards, Val, awesome!

Mogridge is (IMO) one of the top 10 in difficulty and you've got some really nice examples. Funny thing, I just picked up the Anon 25 to complete the back run. All my images are on a system that's tanked at the moment or I'd follow suit.

Will help if I come across one - best of luck!

Mike

ValKehl 08-13-2018 10:13 PM

Mike, thanks for the kind words.

I just took a look at your T207 Napoleon HOFer subset. Very impressive!