Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   My experience with LOTG (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=249878)

BengoughingForAwhile 01-11-2018 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by botport (Post 1737684)
Al did tell me all this today and I am glad that he came out to explain it so quickly and thoroughly because he did a much better job than I could have possibly done.

I have been doing a considerable amount of thinking since this thread was started and I would like to do something to try and get something positive out of this entire ordeal.

My idea is to auction off 9/10 cards for charity here in the BST auction section.
(I'd like to keep the Evers for myself)

I would need three things to make this happen..

1) A charity that we can reach a decent consensus to give the proceeds to.
2) A middleman that is well respected that can deliver the money to the charity.
3) Net54 members opinions on 1/2 and also should this be a new thread or continue here?

So, I understand this is a major shift of gears from where we have been the last few days, but I think this could surely produce positivity as a result of this thread.

Frank

I think you should find a charity in CHARLESTON to donate the funds to since that is who PAIGE played for. :)

frankbmd 01-11-2018 04:47 PM

"I don't crack slabs often, but when I do, I'm drinking Dos Equis.;)"

The Most Interesting Man on the Forum.

BengoughingForAwhile 01-11-2018 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampsfan (Post 1737629)
In case anyone cares, the cabinet guys and I have come to a resolution too. It's costing me $165 instead of $500.

:D:D

I'm thinking Al sent your cabinet guys a check to make up the difference. :)

ccre 01-11-2018 04:59 PM

:rolleyes: After all that drama filled reading, I'm ready for a beer!

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1737696)
"I don't crack slabs often, but when I do, I'm drinking Dos Equis.;)"

The Most Interesting Man on the Forum.

JollyElm 01-11-2018 05:01 PM

I don't know either one of the two, but now i love both Frank and Al. The third gentleman who ruined the Paige card? Not so much. Measure twice, cut once.

Aquarian Sports Cards 01-11-2018 05:32 PM

As a guy who worked in live theatre for 20 years before getting into the auction business I can avow that Truth is indeed stranger than fiction. At various points in this narrative I have been close to jumping in with accusations and wild uninformed opinions. Basically this story is too convoluted NOT to believe (plus you can check out many of the details in the auction listing) I've never dealt with Al or Frank so I have no skin in the game, no favorite, or buddy I'm protecting, in fact it'd probably behoove me to shit all over Al and LOTG, but I actually believe at this point that the parties to the story (including the two ancillary parties) have all been honest and reasonable.

I said it earlier, we all hate to make mistakes and we really hate when mistakes are made at our expense, but how we deal with those is what shows our character.

I'll leave this thread with a little story. There's an auction house by me that conducts local auctions via internet. Not a card auction, estates, general, closeouts etc... My wife had been looking for a large desk for her office. They had one at an estate closeout that I won for a ridiculously low price. The auction listing read "Desk and contents." I went to pick up the desk and was taking it apart to get it in my van. A lady came in and asked me what I was doing. Apparently she had won an auction for just the contents of the desk. Yep the auction house had listed it twice. The lady in question stormed off to get an employee while I continued to take pieces of the desk to my van (leaving the disputed drawers) The employee came running out to my car and said she discovered their mistake and did I care very much about the contents. I told her "no" and she graciously offered me a 50% refund. I took it as I was "wronged" but it made me very appreciative of their efforts to correct what could've been an ugly situation.

Shit happens. Al screwed up, more than once. If I can read between the lines correctly, he feels like hell about it. Frank got screwed, he was pissed, he got mostly unscrewed and wants to be done with this. He should take the $100 and his cards and evaluate whether or not he thinks it was sufficient recompense for the hassles and if he'll do business with LOTG going forward, but he does seem to accept the story.

If anyone has a conspiracy theory which differs from the narrative offered I'd love to hear it, but it better be pretty damn compelling. As someone who works in the auction world and as a card dealer I am in the middle of granting someone a refund. It happens. I'll go on record as wagering that LOTG doesn't have anything like this go down again for a LOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGGGG time.

EDIT: Post was written right after Al's explanation. Kudos to Frank for his gesture. I know animal shelters are a big topic on the site from time to time, love my rescued dog, just my 2¢.

bigfish 01-11-2018 05:37 PM

Jeff

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 1737645)
Why did the honest recipient of cards that were not his sell one of the cards he didn't win? And what a coincidence that it was the one card that had a possibly erroneous flip which, on its face, was worth multiples of what the OP paid for it. Forgive me if these questions have been answered above; I just can't bear to read all of this.

This whole thing is a clusterfuck. I have great respect for the OP.

I enjoy the truth playing out. Jeff, you’re still on retainer.

Jacklitsch 01-11-2018 05:50 PM

That's too funny.

bigfish 01-11-2018 06:00 PM

Steve,

Where the hell have you been. Please offer your common sense opinion. I would guess youre right and hope all is well with you.

Shoeless Moe 01-11-2018 06:01 PM

I work for the Human Fund and we would love the donation, please make it out to CASH.

slidekellyslide 01-11-2018 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 1737646)
Don't be a jerk. As auction bidders, it affects us all. I think there is a lot more to the story here than is being told.

The cards sure arrived back to Al awful quickly if the recipient only mailed them on Tuesday. That's some quick shipping. It takes a check 13 days to get from Al to the OP, but only takes less than 2 days for the cards to get from the recipient back to Al. :confused:

I also think Al knew in advance that the Brown OM wouldn't be returned and that's why he told the OP to keep the check.

What do you think now?

vintagetoppsguy 01-11-2018 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 1737739)
What do you think now?

I think that all the truth hasn't been told, but that the OP is too much of a gentleman to keep dragging this out and wants to put it to rest. Want to know what I really think? I'll PM you and tell you.

slidekellyslide 01-11-2018 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 1737744)
I think that all the truth hasn't been told, but that the OP is too much of a gentleman to keep dragging this out and wants to put it to rest. Want to know what I really think? I'll PM you and tell you.

Please do.

orly57 01-11-2018 06:31 PM

Sadly, David is right. But no one cares, so what's the point.

ElCabron 01-11-2018 10:13 PM

All I’ve learned from this thread is that 1952boyntoncollector, Orly57, and vintagetoppsguy are total dicks.

orly57 01-11-2018 10:45 PM

Ryan, maybe one day after one of your trips to Cuba where you fleece the poor and steal their cards for pennies, you can come by miami and tell me how you feel about me...in person. It's funny, I point out something shady in the hobby and I'm a dick. You literally steal from the poor. What does that make you?

ElCabron 01-11-2018 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orly57 (Post 1737854)
Ryan, maybe one day after one of your trips to Cuba where you fleece the poor and steal their cards for pennies, you can come by miami and tell me how you feel about me...in person. It's funny, I point out something shady in the hobby and I'm a dick. You literally steal from the poor. What does that make you?

Fleece the poor? Ha! What an idiot. You know zero about what you’re talking about. No one paid higher prices in Cuba than I did. And I would LOVE to tell you all about it to your face. In Miami or anywhere else, tough guy.

ElCabron 01-11-2018 10:59 PM

Oh, also, you didn’t point out anything shady going on in the hobby. There wasn’t anything shady. All you did was make yourself look like a dick while trying to damage someone else’s reputation. Dick.

orly57 01-11-2018 11:05 PM

I'm simply not getting into a playground fight with you on the message board. If you want to take this to the pm I'm good with that.

nolemmings 01-11-2018 11:20 PM

Why don't you lay out all this shady behavior you uncovered. Otherwise, it seems like Ryan pretty much nailed it.

Jim65 01-12-2018 04:47 AM

Quote:

Al did tell me all this today and I am glad that he came out to explain it so quickly and thoroughly because he did a much better job than I could have possibly done.

I have been doing a considerable amount of thinking since this thread was started and I would like to do something to try and get something positive out of this entire ordeal.

My idea is to auction off 9/10 cards for charity here in the BST auction section.

2) A middleman that is well respected that can deliver the money to the charity.
3) Net54 members opinions on 1/2 and also should this be a new thread or continue here?

So, I understand this is a major shift of gears from where we have been the last few days, but I think this could surely produce positivity as a result of this thread.

Frank

Awesome idea, I would suggest St Judes Children's Hospital as a worthy charity.

smotan_02 01-12-2018 04:54 AM

First, I wanted to tip my hat to both the OP and the AH. Both were professional and empathetic about what happened and I personally learned some great conflict resolution tactics throughout this thread.

Next, perhaps I could offer a different type of charity. I'm a leadership fellow for Veterans in Media and Entertainment. We work to help train, prepare, and network for military veterans to get jobs throughout the media and entertainment industry as a way to change the image of military veterans from the inside (ie- we aren't all a broken post traumatic mess).

Also, who knows this thread could make a heck of a video one day....as well as many, many, MANY other threads on this forum.

https://www.crowdrise.com/vmeconnect

Thanks for the consideration, I would gladly serve as the middle man or you can even donate directly to the crowdrise website above. Please let me know if you have any questions.

TCMA 01-12-2018 05:13 AM

In terms of a charity to donate to I've got a direct connection at the Taylor Hooton Foundation and could safely and easily get the funds to them. I'm part of a project utilizing players from their MLB Advisory Board. More info at the links below:

http://taylorhooton.org/
http://allmeleague.com/all-stars/

Paul S 01-12-2018 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1737714)

I'll leave this thread with a little story. There's an auction house by me that conducts local auctions via internet. Not a card auction, estates, general, closeouts etc... My wife had been looking for a large desk for her office. They had one at an estate closeout that I won for a ridiculously low price. The auction listing read "Desk and contents." I went to pick up the desk and was taking it apart to get it in my van. A lady came in and asked me what I was doing. Apparently she had won an auction for just the contents of the desk. Yep the auction house had listed it twice. The lady in question stormed off to get an employee while I continued to take pieces of the desk to my van (leaving the disputed drawers) The employee came running out to my car and said she discovered their mistake and did I care very much about the contents. I told her "no" and she graciously offered me a 50% refund. I took it as I was "wronged" but it made me very appreciative of their efforts to correct what could've been an ugly situation.

Was there a Brown Old Mill Paige in one of those drawers? I think it might belong to me;):D

Bpm0014 01-12-2018 06:43 AM

So he went to break the card out of the new, ironclad PSA holder, and he damaged the card. It looks like this now.

How does this even happen? I've broken out close to 170 cards and have not even come close to doing this once. It's really a shame because that is a beautiful card! When I get back from Texas this weekend, for softball, I'll post a step by step tutorial on how to crack open a slab. With pictures....

1952boyntoncollector 01-12-2018 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElCabron (Post 1737851)
All I’ve learned from this thread is that 1952boyntoncollector, Orly57, and vintagetoppsguy are total dicks.

and the reason being? I can say comments like that from you make you look like a child though. We all live and die and not sure why you would take the time to make silly comments like that.

Who was i to question waaaay back that the simple return of funds wasn't so simple as it appeared..guess i was wrong..was a very simple transaction...return of proceeds for cards never delivered.(at the time) .thats all that happened i guess in this thread....there were no new developments or explanations needed after that....nothing more involved than that for me to question.......nothing to see here...

T205 GB 01-12-2018 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bpm0014 (Post 1737893)
So he went to break the card out of the new, ironclad PSA holder, and he damaged the card. It looks like this now.

How does this even happen? I've broken out close to 170 cards and have not even come close to doing this once. It's really a shame because that is a beautiful card! When I get back from Texas this weekend, for softball, I'll post a step by step tutorial on how to crack open a slab. With pictures....

I asked the same question. I am only speculating that the now owner of the Paige might have had some pressure applied and the shell just split wide open causing the flat head screwdriver to tear into the card.

Don't forget to keep the tutorial simple. Lots of pictures and few words. Just don't want some people confused and then they damage their cards and come after you for restitution because of their simpleness.

T205 GB 01-12-2018 07:04 AM

Quote:

Frank

This is a great idea and kind gesture. May I suggest a Crohns and Colitis Foundation for research?

1952boyntoncollector 01-12-2018 07:08 AM

When the OP said mentioned later on that he was getting the cards he purchased and was also generously offered money as well with the cards (this was offered AFTER he received the 11 card lot..i mean 10 card lot) , it wasnt as simple as that. One card was missing from the lot he purchased so it wouldnt be generous to offer him some money plus the cards he purchased in which he was shorted one card.

I questioned the timing of the extra money being offered AFTER the cards were found.

I questioned the extra money given plus the cards and it turns out I was right because he was shorted a card and some money was needed just to make the guy whole. At the time of my questioning nobody knew he was being shorted a card but now you see why i raised the issue.

1952boyntoncollector 01-12-2018 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1737655)
That's a strong accusation. If true it wouldn't be a good look at all for LOTG, and a few posters in the thread would owe Jake an apology for criticizing him for questioning the gesture of allowing the OP to keep the lot and the check.

Well IF the OP said he wasnt getting the entire lot back that would of been nice to know and more of a reason why he was offered additional money. Far be it for me to question things in the beginning.

frankbmd 01-12-2018 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bpm0014 (Post 1737893)

I knew when PSA redesigned their slab that it would lead to havoc in the hobby. If they had just kept the slab that could be easily cracked with a butter knife, this whole thread could have been avoided.:eek::D

Bpm0014 01-12-2018 07:22 AM

Don't forget to keep the tutorial simple. Lots of pictures and few words.

Hahaha, will do. It's so simple. 99% of the crack-outs take less than 10 seconds. For real.

sb1 01-12-2018 07:25 AM

The new PSA holders are not 10 second jobs, they are very difficult to open compared to the old ones, or SGC.

Please use a new holder in the demo.

slidekellyslide 01-12-2018 07:30 AM

Would someone in the conspiracy crowd please post their reasons why they think Al would keep a low grade lot of T206 cards that clearly DID NOT INCLUDE A BROWN OLD MILL.

Thanks

Bpm0014 01-12-2018 07:48 AM

The new PSA holders are not 10 second jobs, they are very difficult to open compared to the old ones, or SGC. Please use a new holder in the demo.

I have no cards (other than a random T205) in holders. I'm going to use that. But I've recently cracked new holders as well. A little more difficult, but still a 10 second job.

Peter_Spaeth 01-12-2018 07:51 AM

I think the OP should just pick a cause he cares about, but as long as we are making suggestions, Catholic Charities always gets extremely high marks from the watchdog organizations.

vintagetoppsguy 01-12-2018 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 1737909)
Would someone in the conspiracy crowd please post their reasons why they think Al would keep a low grade lot of T206 cards that clearly DID NOT INCLUDE A BROWN OLD MILL.

Thanks

Would someone in the "defend Al" crowd please publicly post the private picture they sent me so I can rip this story to shreds?

The matter was dropped last night, Dan. You and others in the "defend Al" crowd want to keep it going with posts like "What do you think now?" or name calling (the dicks comment) or this post that I'm quoting above. The OP is done and I respect that and will drop it too. People are going to believe what they want to believe.

Snapolit1 01-12-2018 07:55 AM

I hope to see Al in White Plains this week and have a 2 or 3 hour discussion about the finer points of all this. I have a few hundred questions.

Only kidding. You guys lost me days ago on this one.

MVSNYC 01-12-2018 08:36 AM

I'd just like to know where Lichtman's Red Circus Shoes ended up (post #92). ;)

Clearly an honest mistake, made right by LOTG. And, a class act move by the OP to suggest the charity auction (which he should just simply pick one he likes).

I've been a bidder and consignor with LOTG since day one. Al is top notch.

Peter_Spaeth 01-12-2018 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVSNYC (Post 1737930)
I'd just like to know where Lichtman's Red Circus Shoes ended up (post #92). ;)

1. Ryan bought them on the cheap in Cuba.
2. Al sold them as brown circus shoes.
3. Jake tried to sell them on the BST, then consigned them to PWCC.
4. David cross-examined them for days.

chalupacollects 01-12-2018 08:56 AM

I can't believe Leon doesn't charge for this kind of entertainment!!!

Does someone see a Netflix series about sports card auction follies in all this?

The drama, conspiracies, side track themes, undermining/backstabbing and happy resolutions and possible group hug at the end... priceless!

Or almost like a hockey fight gotten out of hand!:D

Snapolit1 01-12-2018 09:09 AM

All we need now is for someone to recognize one of the other posters as their long lost father they haven't seen in 50 years since he walked out for a pack of cigarettes. Then we call Dr. Phil.

calvindog 01-12-2018 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVSNYC (Post 1737930)
I'd just like to know where Lichtman's Red Circus Shoes ended up (post #92).

They were all red: laces, swoosh, soles, etc. Bright red patent leather Nike high tops. I almost inquired as to who actually bought them? Who walks around with sneakers like that? And it wasn't like they were kid size, they were freaking huge.

frankbmd 01-12-2018 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1737934)

5. Joe Orlando was recently seen wearing them.

conor912 01-12-2018 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1737944)
5. Joe Orlando was recently seen wearing them.

Don't give him any ideas, or we may see graded/entombed Air Jordans.

pokerplyr80 01-12-2018 09:49 AM

What happened to the picture of the envelope containing the check that was supposed to be posted to help verify Al's story? So we could see the post mark.

rats60 01-12-2018 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 1737941)
They were all red: laces, swoosh, soles, etc. Bright red patent leather Nike high tops. I almost inquired as to who actually bought them? Who walks around with sneakers like that? And it wasn't like they were kid size, they were freaking huge.

One of my basketball teammates in high school wore shoes like that. Our school colors were red and white. The rest of us wore classic Adidas.

calvindog 01-12-2018 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rats60 (Post 1737954)
One of my basketball teammates in high school wore shoes like that. Our school colors were red and white. The rest of us wore classic Adidas.

I'm going to presume he was the best player on the team or else the rest of you would have given him a beating.

Stampsfan 01-12-2018 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1737934)

And all this time, I thought Jake's only involvement was to add "GLWS" on the BST of Net54.

Seems like there is something more to the story than documented here...

;)

vintagetoppsguy 01-12-2018 02:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al C.risafulli (Post 1736749)
I cut and mailed a check for the amount in full the following day, December 29.

I'll also stand 100% by everything I've said here.

Hmmm....