Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Wanna Feel Old? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=325735)

JollyElm 10-02-2022 06:34 PM

Wanna Feel Old?

As I'm watching the key Mets vs. Braves game today, Michael Machion Harris II was at bat when one of the commentators remarked, "He grew up idolizing Justin Heyward." I thought, "Justin Heyward??? Isn't he still playing???" Yup, and according to Wikipedia, he's only 33 years old.

The guy grew up idolizing someone who only started playing in the majors in 2010!!!! My brain simply cannot process this!!!!!

philliesfan 10-02-2022 09:12 PM

I already feel old.

clydepepper 10-02-2022 09:56 PM

Darren- I did not need your help...

interesting though.

I can tell how old I am by how much I'm starting to hate walk-up music.

nolemmings 10-02-2022 10:21 PM

I thought he was talking about the lead singer of the Moody Blues.
I've been old for quite awhile--just ask my daughter.

Peter_Spaeth 10-02-2022 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolemmings (Post 2269530)
I thought he was talking about the lead singer of the Moody Blues.
I've been old for quite awhile--just ask my daughter.

How could anyone idolize him he was just a Singer in a rock ‘n’ roll band.

JollyElm 10-02-2022 11:25 PM

Perhaps I should've waited to start this thread on Tuesday afternoon after I heard the voice in my Gemini dream. Wow, isn't life strange? :rolleyes:

Michael B 10-03-2022 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 2269536)
Perhaps I should've waited to start this thread on Tuesday afternoon after I heard the voice in my Gemini dream. Wow, isn't life strange? :rolleyes:

In your wildest dreams. That's just the story in your eyes.

RCMcKenzie 10-03-2022 04:24 AM

The guy from Tennessee that the Astros just drafted said his hero growing up was Alex Bregman. He remembered him at LSU. I think it's normal for your baseball hero to be 10 years older than you. As far as the Moody Blues, they are the Eddie Collins of classic rock.

UKCardGuy 10-03-2022 01:33 PM

I knew I was old when I started to see driving licences with a DOB after 2000.

packs 10-03-2022 01:41 PM

I grew up idolizing Mattingly. There's a version of history where I'm really good at baseball and sitting in the dugout with him as bench coach.

clydepepper 10-03-2022 01:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 2269693)
I grew up idolizing Mattingly. There's a version of history where I'm really good at baseball and sitting in the dugout with him as bench coach.

There was a time when I was pitching and this guy was my first baseman:

Attachment 536710

D. Bergin 10-03-2022 02:01 PM

I'm not even an Orioles fan, but for some reason Cal Ripken has been my benchmark for age. In 1982, when Cal Ripken won the ROY award, my tiny little 11 year-old brain told me "Well, if Cal Ripken won ROY at age 21, then I have another 10 years to make something of myself."

When I reached 21 years of age, I looked at Cal Ripken. Older then me, and greying, but in the midst of an incredible games played streak, just won his 2nd MVP Award. "OK, I've still got time. Life doesn't end at 21. Just got to make something of myself by the time I'm 31...just like Cal is right now".

Flash forward 10 more years. Cal finally starts breaking down. The streak ends and his career is coming to a close. The silver lining. "Damn, Cal played major league level baseball until he was 40 years old. That's damn impressive. That means I've got 10 more years of prime living left. Maybe I still might have a chance to make the big show, even though I haven't actually played any organized ball since High School." :D:D:D

Now I see that Cal is 62 years old. "Damn, I remember I used to hoard Cal Ripken Rookie cards right after they first came out. Now Cal is 62 years old. Where the hell did all the time go?"

Moral of the story is: Cal Ripken is responsible for me procrastinating, for me aging, and for me not living up to my self-centered potential...but as long as Cal Ripken is always 10 years older then me, then I still have time to finally make something of myself...so please Cal, live forever and keep me an optimistic old man for the rest of my life.

;)