Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Pro-Mold Magnetic Card Holders? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=256008)

jchcollins 06-07-2018 08:03 AM

Pro-Mold Magnetic Card Holders?

Does anyone have experience with these types of holders? I tried their screw-down cousins for the vintage size last year, and was not impressed because the cards move around in the holders too much - moreso than in a PSA case. They do have the diamond-cut corners so that you aren't going to get corner dings if the cards move around, but still - that's not something I'm cool with for valuable vintage cards. Cards don't move around in top-loaders with penny sleeves, or in Card Savers, so why should they move around in a hard case?

Here is a link:

https://www.amazon.com/Display-Pro-M...ic+card+holder

My question is, are the magnetic cases any better in terms of the cards sliding around? I would like to pickup a few of these in post-1957 size to put a couple of nicer cards I'm keeping raw in, but don't want to go through the hassle as with before to return them if it's same old thing with slip n' slide in the holder...

Thanks.

Rookiemonster 06-07-2018 08:37 AM

Hey John, so they are good but they make different sizes. As long as you have the correct size for your card you should be fine. I like to put the magnet holders in a team bag after. I use them in modern card mostly.

jchcollins 06-07-2018 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rookiemonster (Post 1784410)
As long as you have the correct size for your card you should be fine.

So they don't slide in the holders? That's all I really care about. I know how to purchase the correct size, both with respect to card thickness ("point") and the different sizes for the older cards.

Rookiemonster 06-07-2018 09:02 AM

I only noticed movement when the card doesn’t fit. Maybe if the card is diamond cut or something like that it won’t work. I put all my vintage cards in a regular top loaded with a penny sleeve.

JustinD 06-07-2018 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jchcollins (Post 1784413)
So they don't slide in the holders? That's all I really care about. I know how to purchase the correct size, both with respect to card thickness ("point") and the different sizes for the older cards.

No, they don't.

The top is removable. You place the card in gently and slide the top back in place and the magnet "locks" it in place.

Honestly, I like the quality of the Ultra-pro's better and only use Pro-mold if they are a size Ultra-pro does not make. It's just a better product in hand to me.

On all, as has been mentioned, the point size is most important for a good fit. I use Ultra-pro 35s for traditional post war cards.

Maybe buy one of both on ebay first and see if you like before buying a bunch. They are easily found in single sale all over.

jchcollins 06-07-2018 11:04 AM

Thanks. I may buy some singles or 5-packs on eBay first.

Uh, maybe I don't know how the point thing works. I see a "180 pt" case on eBay that says it will fit 2 5/8 by 3 3/4 cards. These are the pre-1957 size correct? But it needs to be 180 point? I didn't realize the cards were that much thicker.

I guess I'm trying to contrast that with why the cards in the regular cases are only 35 point. Is a 35-pt. case good for say, a 1970 Topps card?

Thanks.

Marchillo 06-07-2018 11:25 AM

180 point is huge. I can fit 6-7 cards in a 130 pt top holder with penny sleeves. Those cases are made for super thick jersey/equipment cards.

jchcollins 06-07-2018 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marchillo (Post 1784485)
180 point is huge. I can fit 6-7 cards in a 130 pt top holder with penny sleeves. Those cases are made for super thick jersey/equipment cards.

I'm confused then. What Ultra Pro Magnetic product do I buy for a 1956 Topps card?

JustinD 06-07-2018 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jchcollins (Post 1784491)
I'm confused then. What Ultra Pro Magnetic product do I buy for a 1956 Topps card?

You're not...sadly they don't exist.

The oddball sizes only come in one screw, and not even the premium one screw, the cheap ones.

I don't think the money is in it for them to produce.

The magnetics are only in modern size, the points are for gauge of thickness.

jchcollins 06-07-2018 12:29 PM

Pro-Mold Magnetic Card Holders?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinD (Post 1784505)
You're not...sadly they don't exist.

Well that sucks. Because the one screw products are all horrible. I’ll stick to vintage size top loaders for cards pre-1957.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the 'stache 06-08-2018 01:03 PM

Should you decide to get the one touch magnets for newer cards, I agree that the Ultra Pro are the way to go. They also make one touch bags that perfectly fit the hard case. Really nice.

jchcollins 06-11-2018 10:15 AM

Update - got my pack of 5, 35 point Ultra Pro One-Touch Magnetics in today, and:

What a joke.

Cards TOTALLY slide around in these, just like their cheaper Pro Mold screw case cousins. I tried putting my 1970 Topps Nolan Ryan in once case, and my '67 Clemente in another. Both move noticeably from side-to-side AND top-to-bottom once the magnetic top is snapped into place.

I'm done with this little experiment again, will be sending these back. Top loaders exclusively for me from here on out, boys and girls...Oy. Frustrating.

JustinD 06-12-2018 11:10 AM

Sorry you didn't like.

I enjoy them and feel they have less movement than a PSA case.