Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Scary future of our hobby (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=242361)

Gary Dunaier 07-15-2017 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tazdmb (Post 1680937)
The only good thing is you can see that there are a lot of "young kids" that still care about autographs, as opposed to say-Stamps.

Why did you have to knock another hobby? You could have just as easily said 'The only good thing is you can see that there are a lot of "young kids" that still care about autographs,' left it at that, and still made your point.

Yes, I collect stamps. That may give me more of a reason to comment, but it doesn't make my comment any less valid.

tazdmb 07-15-2017 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier (Post 1681331)
Why did you have to knock another hobby?

Not a knock, but an honest opinion from a son of a prominent stamp collector. Show me a site that has over 10,000 stamp collectors under 25 years old. I know this is changing subjects but you must admit that average age of a stamp collector is getting older every year.

Gary Dunaier 07-16-2017 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tazdmb (Post 1681359)
Not a knock, but an honest opinion from a son of a prominent stamp collector. Show me a site that has over 10,000 stamp collectors under 25 years old. I know this is changing subjects but you must admit that average age of a stamp collector is getting older every year.

Okay, but still... it's never a good idea to put down someone else's hobby, especially when it's done as an attempt to boost one's own hobby.

Stamp collectors are, indeed, concerned about how to attract more young people into the fold. In fact, a few years ago a prominent stamp collecting writer wrote a piece expressing those concerns, and he said something along the lines of - and I'm paraphrasing, I don't remember the exact quote - he said something along the lines of 'We've got to show the kids who collect baseball cards the error of their ways and get them to collect stamps instead.' I wrote a letter to the editor, which I think was published, saying that the guy should have known better, and that you'll never get someone interested in one hobby by talking s*** about another.

"My hobby is better than your hobby!" has yet to convince anyone to convert to "my" hobby, whatever that hobby is.

(Personal note to tazdmb: I didn't mention the name of the writer in the above comment because it wouldn't mean anything to those not in the hobby, but since you're the son of a prominent stamp collector, you may recognize the name. The writer whose quote I paraphrased was John Hotchner.)

tazdmb 07-17-2017 06:43 AM

My apologies again, I have already been threatened by the seller of the cut originally posted so I have cleaned up some of my posts in this thread. But I refused to take my OP down and am letting the facts speak for themselves. I am sure the seller is reading this and if you are-I stand by my opinion, especially after you admit the "signature lapping the Ruth was taken out"

Stampsfan 07-17-2017 01:15 PM

Wow, what a "great" idea. Next thing you may see is the card companies taking a vintage jersey or a full bat, cutting it up, and putting pieces of them onto trading cards.

Thinking more on that, nah... that'll never work. It's too stupid to contemplate.

Michael B 07-17-2017 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tazdmb (Post 1681712)
My apologies again, I have already been threatened by the seller of the cut originally posted so I have cleaned up some of my posts in this thread. But I refused to take my OP down and am letting the facts speak for themselves. I am sure the seller is reading this and if you are-I stand by my opinion, especially after you admit the "signature lapping the Ruth was taken out"

Bully for you. Seller sounds like a douche canoe (To resurrect an expression from one of the other members from Texas, I believe.)

Klrdds 07-17-2017 02:19 PM

Why would the seller threaten you and in what manner was the threat ? If you don't mind me asking.
IMO you only voiced an honest non-threatening opinion based upon your experience and taste of his ugly and defaced and over -hyped item that he was selling.

tazdmb 07-17-2017 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klrdds (Post 1681851)
Why would the seller threaten you and in what manner was the threat ? If you don't mind me asking.

He claims that I am "maliciously trying to corrupt a sales and (I am) attacking him." FTR-I never attacked this guy personally and never met him. As for maliciously trying to corrupt a sale, I never made a public facebook post on this and if anyone was being malicious, it was him admitting that "the signature lapping the Ruth was taken out" and not admitting to it to potential buyers-or JSA for that matter.

The threats:

"If you continue to give me issues I will make sure you get them in return"
"Keep running your mouth. I'm watching keep it up"
"I will show Jimmy how you are bashing his Company" (I did admit JSA would certify anything for the right amount of $$)
When I mentioned that I will see Jimmy at the National
"Good I'll be there also. You can run your mouth to my face"
"I'll let you know exactly where I'll be so you can come by"

After all of this, I even OFFERED to meet him at JSA with my facts and PAY/REIMBURSE him the costs for the certification for Ruth if Jimmy admits it was not altered. But, that was not good enough. Instead he wants me to pay him for the "headaches (I am) causing him over a certified item" and that "I have no idea what I am talking about"

FTR-I never once posted a public opinion on FB. So obviously, a member here tipped him off and I assumed he joined to see the pictures. I invite this person (I will not name) or his associates to come on here and refute my claim that this signature was altered.

Klrdds 07-17-2017 04:06 PM

Sounds like the guy has issues with being told the truth and not wanting to face the truth about his item and the cert from Jimmy "Anything for A Buck " Spence .
I don't know a collector who would want this item in his collection , unless he just wants a Ruth autograph and doesn't care what it is or looks like . If it goes as high as predicted in this thread the buyer IMO will never recoup his money. There are far better pieces out there of Ruth for less money if it again goes as high as predicted .
PS if you need a bodyguard for The National ....I know people!!!!

tazdmb 07-17-2017 05:18 PM

Just got banned from 101