Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   High Value Net54 Auctions (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=181667)

Matthew80 01-14-2014 06:07 PM

High Value Net54 Auctions

Just curious to hear from the Net54 veterans on this, what are some of the more expensive cards/lots/sets/etc that have gone up and sold in the Net54 live auctions?

Has anyone ever thrown up a single card that fetched $1k+? Anyone throw up a vintage 60s or 70s set before? Perhaps a large slabbed lot or long Topps run of a HOF?

Related, and this isn't limited to the auction site but the larger B/S/T forum in general, do people use an escrow service or anything for the high price stuff?

I love snooping through our auction site, but it seems like there's never any cardboard that fetches big bucks.

Zach Wheat 01-16-2014 07:30 AM

Net54

Matthew,

Not sure about the auctions as I rarely go there.

Many of the high dollar transactions that take place are private transactions between people on Net54 through the classified ad section. Conversely, people that know collector XYZ has a card/set/print variation connect behind the scenes and initiate private transactions as well.

I know the high dollar transactions I have done with other board members have been done this way.

Z Wheat

pawpawdiv9 01-16-2014 02:24 PM

i have done several transactions in the B/S/T...basically post your pics/prices there.
I mainly use paypal, but others do use other methods of payment. As a Mantle collector, i have sold some higher end items 500+ and ship usually priorty mail and insure them.
Basically get to know your friends who you can trust. the board is pretty good at picking out the bad apples.
I also sell on Ebay, and got people to skip Ebay fees and use paypal as a direct payment. Saves us money both ways.
I have seen some Mantle Rc's list for sale and several tobacco cards fetching high $$$.
Most of the time we will send PM's (private messages_ back n forth.

Rich Klein 01-16-2014 03:54 PM

To kick off Net54 Auctions, Leon did a very expensive card, that was also his test run for B&L Auctions. I'll be darned if I remember the details of the 19th century card sold but it was a biggie.

Bocabirdman 01-17-2014 11:53 AM

Last Spring I sold my entire 1948-1970 collection on the BST, individually. It was north of 11000 cards. I got lots of responses and was happy all the way around.

Zach Wheat 01-17-2014 12:33 PM

Bst

I have used the B/S/T portion of the site quite a bit and generally use PayPal. If they require a check, I usually ask for references and check with a few friends how the exchanges went on both ends.

I have not used an escrow service before....even on the large $$$ items purchased.

It is not unusual to request a check...but just make sure you know whom you are dealing with....

Z Wheat