Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   T207 The Best Tobacco Set Of All Time (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=260974)

Birken 10-14-2018 12:58 PM

I appreciate all the comments so far, I love hearing other perspectives. Don't get me wrong, I think T205, T206 are beautiful sets among many others of the era. I get the argument around lack of stars in T207 making it less desirable, but I still find it to be a very unique set and very different from any other set of the day.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

tedzan 10-14-2018 07:45 PM

T207

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birken (Post 1819606)
Before you haters chime in...let me state my case.

Think about what the early 1900's looked like. Limited technology as we know it, death, disease, deplorable conditions, etc.

Ben

When you start off a post on this forum such as you did, it just doesn't go over to well.

First, were you alive in 1912 when the T207's were issued ? My parents, Aunt and Uncle were, and they certainly did not paint such a grim picture as your litany of negative events.
On the contrary, they would reminisce of a time (they were teenagers back then) when life in this country was vital and promising and people were very friendly.

Anyhow, I just could not understand where you were coming from with your preface to this subject of T207 cards. OK, here is where I'm coming from. I've been an avid Sportscard
set collector for more than 40 years. After I put together two T206 sets in the 1980's and 1990's, I began collecting T207's. I really enjoyed the challenge provided by this set, and
especially seeing and reading bios of ballplayers I had not known. For example, that "toughie", Louis Lowdermilk. Why did it cost me big $$$$ to get a BB card of a pitcher who had
a career W-L record of 4-5 ?

Anyway, I completed this T207 set, and eventually sold it with the exception of this Chet "Red" Hoff card. I kept Hoff for several reasons.....he was part of my Yankees collection....
at the time of his death (1998), he was the oldest former Major League ballplayer at age 107....and, I loved that he said the highlight of his career as a 20-year old pitcher, the first
batter he faced, was Ty Cobb, and Hoff struck him out on three straight pitches.

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...etHoffT207.jpg . http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...tHoffT207b.jpg

T-Rex TED

T206 Reference

Birken 10-14-2018 08:54 PM

Ted,

I very much appreciate your post. The title of this post was intentionally designed to be controversial and illicit the debate that has followed. The truth is, there is no one greatest T set or any other baseball set for that matter as it is all subjective to those who collect.

Your parent's experience (my grandparents experience) were vastly different. Neither of us were alive during that time. All of our current experiences are shaped by our past or some knowledge thereof. My grandparents experience (as Irish immigrants) was like the movie "Gangs of New York", so this is what shapes my perceptions of the early 1900s in America...not a place I would want to live in.

I agree it was a great time of hope and new beginnings in America, but it was also a time of shortened life expectancy due to disease, unsanitary conditions, the world on the verge of WW 1, etc. For the wealthy, the experience was obviously different.

The T207s imo capture that feel very well or at least my perception of that time. While I belive that T206, T205, etc are beautiful full color cards, I think sometimes that they are almost too colorful and don't truly reflect the experiences of the masses in the early 1900s which is why I am drawn to T207s and the fact that i find it boring looking at the same Cobb pose again and again and again through multiple Tobacco and E sets. I hope that I have clarified my position to your satisfaction.

I like to learn and I do not judge.

Ben

Birken 10-14-2018 09:00 PM

Ps. Ted

Love the Hoff and love the Lowder milk stats you provided...it's why this set is so stupidly awesome and why I love it so much. Yes, I admit, begrudgingly, it would have been nice if Cobb was represented in T207 [emoji4]

tedzan 10-14-2018 11:11 PM

T207

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birken (Post 1819784)
Ps. Ted

Love the Hoff and love the Lowder milk stats you provided...it's why this set is so stupidly awesome and why I love it so much. Yes, I admit, begrudgingly, it would have been nice if Cobb was represented in T207 [emoji4]

Ben

I was happy not having to chase after a Cobb when collecting the T207's. I was pleased to get a Smoky Joe Wood, Harry Hooper, Buck Weaver, and others not in the T206 set.

Actually, I have a theory regarding the printing of the T207 cards. I don't think they were printed at American Lithographic (as most of the T-cards of that era were). If so, this
may explain why Cobb, CYoung, etc. were not featured in the T207 set.

Furthermore, another tobacco set was issued in 1912.....the Imperial Tobacco (C46) set....which features Eastern (International) League players. And, these cards were printed
using different shades of brown ink. I have tried to find out what printing firm produced these cards, because it may have been the same one that printed the T207 set.

http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/d...mmittohara.jpg

T-Rex TED

T206 Reference

garymc 10-15-2018 10:17 AM

I am an addicted New You American collector !
The one thing I like about the t207's is the lack of information creating interesting mysteries. One is, why are all the NYA's in the recruit class except the Hoff which is in the Broadleaf class. I'm sure whatever the reason is might be why the Hoff card is so tough. I'm also enjoying the hunt for the Napoleon backs, they are really tough to find. I only have two of them.
I also love this set !!!

topcat61 10-15-2018 10:29 AM

I second your opinion. T207 is an amazing set beyond what we see on these cards. When I did research into this set, I found that the political climate and social attitudes of the era had seeped into this set directly affecting its outcome. The T207 and its players haven't given up all their secrets just yet and I haven't seen every card in person either - which makes it fun.

ronniehatesjazz 10-15-2018 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garymc (Post 1819874)
I am an addicted New You American collector !
The one thing I like about the t207's is the lack of information creating interesting mysteries. One is, why are all the NYA's in the recruit class except the Hoff which is in the Broadleaf class. I'm sure whatever the reason is might be why the Hoff card is so tough. I'm also enjoying the hunt for the Napoleon backs, they are really tough to find. I only have two of them.
I also love this set !!!

I love the americans and nationals lingo! I think we should bring it back. Would love to hear people talking about the Cincinnati nationals or Chicago americans.

Luke 10-15-2018 11:57 AM

I love this set too. I really wish more people collected it because that adds to the fun of it for me. When I find a rare T206, I can share my excitement with dozens of friends who feel the same way about the set. When I find a rare T207, I have one friend who really loves them, and a handful that will humor me but don't like really care for them.

garymc 10-15-2018 12:20 PM

T207

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke (Post 1819897)
I love this set too. I really wish more people collected it because that adds to the fun of it for me. When I find a rare T206, I can share my excitement with dozens of friends who feel the same way about the set. When I find a rare T207, I have one friend who really loves them, and a handful that will humor me but don't like really care for them.

Luke, please let me know when a NYA Napoleon comes around !!!!