Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Let's recommend some movies (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=248873)

joshuanip 02-22-2018 12:08 AM

Fist of legends my favorite jet Li movie
Groundhogs day - my favorite groundhog movie

crose 02-23-2018 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1731921)
Hell or High Water. Think it came out in 2016. Awesome movie not many people saw.

I always recommend Almost Famous to people if you are a fan of 70s rock and music journalism.

Anything by Richard Linklater.

I thought Hell or High Water was probably the best movie I’d seen it the last five years at least. I throughly enjoyed it.

ALR-bishop 02-23-2018 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crose (Post 1750741)
I thought Hell or High Water was probably the best movie I’d seen it the last five years at least. I throughly enjoyed it.

"What don't you want ?"

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video...spart=att&tt=b

crose 02-23-2018 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1750749)

After I made my post, I did a few errands around the house. I went to watch some TV and the movie was on Showtime at that very part. LOL

clydepepper 02-24-2018 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crose (Post 1750777)
After I made my post, I did a few errands around the house. I went to watch some TV and the movie was on Showtime at that very part. LOL

That's some goooood customer service!

- never liked trout much anyhow.

npa589 03-01-2018 12:29 PM

I like this topic!

This is one of those casual conversations I will always get suckered into - I don't care if I had never spoken with the person before in my life. If movies are mentioned, I'm in.

Here would be my recommendations (largely based upon my favorite movies):

The Shawshank Redemption - agreeing with a few of you that this is the best film ever made. Everything is perfect in this movie, and the marriage of all of the aspects is seamless.

Godfather I & II The III is good relative to other movies, but doesn't deserve to be a part of the perfection that is Godfather. The score, the tragedy, just amazing.

It's a Wonderful Life This is a lot of people's family favorite, and it's that contextual and familial feel that make this movie. I literally cannot watch this movie without simply sitting there in tears like a toddler throughout the entire thing. My wife will come in as I will be watching the movie angrily every year, disgusted that I can't make it 5 minutes without crying.

Lawrence of Arabia Still the most interesting character study I've seen on film. It's not for everyone, as I have no problem sitting there for 3+ hours and devouring it.

River Runs Through It There are few movies that I have dwelt on for days after the fact. I remember when I first saw this as a high school student in early 2000s, and I remember mowing the lawn in a state of morose over this movie.

Schindler's List The scene at the end by Liam Neeson is still probably the most powerful scene I have ever seen in movies. I will weep every time.

Rope If I had to pick my favorite Hitchcock movie, this actually wouldn't be it, but I think it's brilliant and different. The extremely long takes in this film give it a feel as though you are there.

On the Waterfront Iconic quotes, Marlon Brando at his peak, great symbolism, and perfect acting.

12 Angry Men Basically everyone needs to see this movie at some point. It's brilliant. One of my favorite quotes in any film
[Juror #7 gets up and heads to the bathroom]
Juror #9: Now I'm talking here! You have no right to leave this room - !
Juror #8: [calmly stopping him] He can't hear you, and he never will. Let's sit down.

I'll stop for now.

familytoad 09-16-2018 12:09 AM

Rekindled

I’m going to admit that I have an obsession with Turner Classic movies that is beginning to take over my late evening life...right after baseball games finish.

I’ve been considering taking a week off from work and doing nothing but watching classic movies. That could describe 7 days in December when it will probably be raining around here anyway...

I’ve watched these all again lately:

A Night at the Opera [Marx bros.]
The Man who knew too much [James Stewart & Doris Day]
Bridge on the River Kwai [William Holden, Alec Guinness]
The African Queen [Bogart & Hepburn]
Dark Passage [Bogart & Bacall]
Captain Courageous [Spencer Tracy]
Grand Hotel [ensemble , awesome cast]
Captain Blood [Errol Flynn]
The Long Street [Henry Fonda &Lucille Ball]
The Tuttles of Tahiti [Charles Laughton]
Confidential Agent [Boyer & Bacall]

Still my all time favorites, which you may not need the top billed actors for:
  • Casablanca
    North by Northwest
    The Great Escape
    Larceny Inc
    Papillon
    Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Jim65 09-16-2018 06:04 AM

I'm a sucker for the old Sidney Toler Charlie Chan movies and the older Dead End Kids, Dead End, Angels with Dirty Faces, Crime School, etc.

irv 09-16-2018 11:32 AM

I just watched "Man on Fire" again a few weeks ago. Not that we have a lot of movies at our trailer, but I never get tired of it. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb-ZEBBKolc

celoknob 09-16-2018 04:27 PM

The Day of the Jackel