Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Bowls out - thank goodness the BCS is dying (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=159682)

Runscott 12-03-2012 07:53 AM

Bowls out - thank goodness the BCS is dying

I couldn't believe the bowl shake-out. C'mon - Northern Illinois vs Florida State in a BCS bowl? I admit, I'll watch it.

The SEC has six of the top-ten BCS teams, yet only two of them are in BCS bowls? I would go further and say that I doubt Notre Dame could beat any of them.

David W 12-03-2012 11:35 AM

With Ohio State and Penn State on probation, an unranked Wisconsin team sneaks in, and the Big East has no football schools in it anymore, they should not even get a BCS bid anymore, and I doubt they will soon.

Big EAst has lost W Virginia, Miame, Boston College, VA Tech in the last few years and soon to lose Pitt, Syracuse and Louisville.

The MAC might be better than Big East in football now.

CMIZ5290 12-03-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1058443)
I couldn't believe the bowl shake-out. C'mon - Northern Illinois vs Florida State in a BCS bowl? I admit, I'll watch it.

The SEC has six of the top-ten BCS teams, yet only two of them are in BCS bowls? I would go further and say that I doubt Notre Dame could beat any of them.

The betting line on the Fla State/ Northern Ill game might be the largest in BCS history! And Florida State is not even that good IMO....

Runscott 12-04-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 (Post 1058557)
The betting line on the Fla State/ Northern Ill game might be the largest in BCS history! And Florida State is not even that good IMO....

It could be one of those weird match-ups like App State/Michigan, where the underdogs throw just the right curves.

All in all, I'm happy with the bowl line-up, and I like the idea of a classic 'Alabama/Notre Dame' game, even if it should be a blow-out. It really sucked the way Georgia lost to Alabama in the SEC title game. That was a Garrett-like move, not having the QB spike the ball. That one will stick in their craws for a lifetime.

novakjr 12-04-2012 12:31 PM

I think we can thank Ohio state for this years mess. If they weren't ineligible, Wisconsin wouldn't be playing in a BCS game, and I'd go as far as saying, neither would Northern Illinois..

Now here goes on Northern Illinois, I know they're 15, and all they had to be was 16 or higher to get into a BCS bowl. Ohio State if ranked would only knock NIU down to 16, still leaving them in a BCS game. BUT if Nebraska had lost again to a 2nd or 3rd ranked OSU in the Big10 championship, instead of unranked WIS, I don't think they would've dropped as far in the rankings, and would've stayed ahead of NIU, instead of right behind 'em, leaving NIU at 17 and out of a BCS game...

Runscott 12-04-2012 08:44 PM

The strangest bowl-scheduling event so far is Louisiana Tech's omission - I read about it on their website today. Apparently the Independence Bowl invited them on Saturday, they asked for some time to think about it, and......no one else asked.

drc 12-05-2012 07:17 PM

Don't put down Northern Illinois. They're the Alabama of suburban Chicago,