Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Add 5 more high grade 52 Mantles to the pile (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=255432)

JustinD 05-23-2018 07:50 PM

Add 5 more high grade 52 Mantles to the pile

As someone you thinks this will happen more commonly as the time goes by and the boomers pass on, I believe this is a good example for the folks that think nothing better than a 3 hasn't been graded.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidse.../#bf25251423b9

MattyC 05-23-2018 07:58 PM

Not sure how common such an event will be over time.

That said, wish one of those bright, crisp specimens was centered.

Peter_Spaeth 05-23-2018 08:00 PM

LOLOL it's so in the eye of the beholder, I was just thinking hey those are all pretty nicely centered except maybe no. 4 and even then it isn't bad.

MattyC 05-23-2018 08:04 PM

I thought from that article they looked decently centered as well; check out the images on the Sports Collectors Daily article— the 8.5 is significantly off top to bottom and has some tilt. It will still likely command a big hammer price, just not what it would get if it was closer to 50:50. The others are all off or tilted as well.

At the bottom of the article linked below, there are full images of each card slabbed. The color, gloss, corners, and overall crispness are certainly impressive, just the usual centering issues.

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...ver-1-million/

Peter_Spaeth 05-23-2018 08:07 PM

Matt it's all a matter of what your eye looks for I guess, to me that looks like a well-centered card that I would call slightly off top to bottom.

savedfrommyspokes 05-23-2018 08:17 PM

My parents grew up in West Hartford and are close in age to this guy...not being that big of a town in those days, they likely knew him. This guy would have been a good friend to have.

MattyC 05-23-2018 08:17 PM

The more a card will cost me, the more demanding I get with centering :D

Peter_Spaeth 05-23-2018 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattyC (Post 1779870)
The more a card will cost me, the more demanding I get with centering :D

Seems to me the reverse is true too -- the more demanding you get with centering, the more a card will cost you. :eek:

JustinD 05-23-2018 08:34 PM

I am looking forward to seeing that bright yellow Leaf Robinson closer. It looks amazing.

MattyC 05-23-2018 08:34 PM

In for a penny, in for a pound!

pokerplyr80 05-23-2018 09:43 PM

I think that 8.5 is better than the last one. If I remember correctly the centering and tilt was even more off. An awesome find with a lot of high grade cards. I don't imagine we will hear about too many finds as nice as this one.

Johnny630 05-26-2018 08:01 AM

The 8.5 is a joke in my opinion. . When you see a 8.5 at first glance the card should be a 9 until further close inspection. This at first glance is no way close to 8.5 centering/top to bottom on it’s best day is a 8 max!. They’re all over the map with their grades It’s all in whom submittes the cards, Heritage. Heritage would never sub these cards for this person if it wasn’t already agreed that the cards would be in their upcoming auction. PSA wants the publicity.

At the National This year people will be flooding the PSA line to submit cards like junkies waiting in a methadone line. Wait till they announce their onsite pricing at nation. Sure people will Bit*h and complain on here about the price but they will still bite the bullet and get in line. Money makes people do silly things. Pop Report and Registry =marketing genius, people will continue to drink the Kool Aid. I choose to stay out of this rigged game.

John Marsili

irv 05-26-2018 10:54 AM

As much as I like those Mantle's, I also like those Campanella, Wilhelm and other high number cards!

Rookiemonster 05-26-2018 10:58 AM

The person how owned theses cards also had a bunch 51 and 52 Mays. And a bunch of Jackie Robinson’s ( 52 and 48) !! And of course some 51 mantles ! All raw the way I like it .

Jdoggs 05-27-2018 11:08 AM

Incredible mantle’s.

profholt82 06-05-2018 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rookiemonster (Post 1780730)
The person how owned theses cards also had a bunch 51 and 52 Mays. And a bunch of Jackie Robinson’s ( 52 and 48) !! And of course some 51 mantles ! All raw the way I like it .

I know, they're beautiful as they are. What a great collection. It's kind of sad to think that soon they'll all be in those big ugly graded plastic holders and funneled into the ebay/auction machine.

Rookiemonster 06-05-2018 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by profholt82 (Post 1783787)
I know, they're beautiful as they are. What a great collection. It's kind of sad to think that soon they'll all be in those big ugly graded plastic holders and funneled into the ebay/auction machine.

Yup, I wish they told us a bit more about where they came from and how they were collected.

swarmee 06-05-2018 10:31 AM

There was a good article done about this collection.

Link: https://forums.collectors.com/discus...mment_11992094

the 'stache 06-08-2018 12:59 PM

All those Mantles, but not a single Eddie Mathews?

My Dad was born in the summer of 1947, and collected baseball cards starting when he was 6-7 years old. His older brother a few years before that. The Braves were his favorite team, though he lived in Chicago. He was a big Hank Aaron fan, and had his rookie. Clemente's, too. And Banks. Nothing like cracking open the latest REA catalog, showing him some of the cards I can only dream about, and seeing him nod, "I had that".

Grandma threw out his whole collection when he went off to Marquette.

Thanks, Grandma. :mad:

savedfrommyspokes 06-08-2018 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the 'stache (Post 1784829)
All those Mantles, but not a single Eddie Mathews?

The way I read the article is that he traded for these Mantles. He traded his Red Sox cards to folks across the river for Yankees cards.

My parents as well as Aunts and Uncles grew up in both East and West Hartford at the same time as the guy who owned these cards did.....not sure if this is ironic or not, but the West Hartford portion of the family were/are definitely Yankee fans, while the few original EH family members were/are Red Sox fans.

Growing up in CT a generation later, I found fans of both the Red Sox and Yankees on either side of the river.

So it makes a ton of sense why this card owner from West Harford had 5 Mantles and not as many of some of the other cards (especially Red Sox cards).

Marckus99 06-10-2018 03:45 PM

And right off the printing press. Literally.

Another “rare” Mantle up for bid. ;)