Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   end of the line? As far as I can go... 1939 HOF (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=262254)

phikappapsi 11-17-2018 02:16 PM

end of the line? As far as I can go... 1939 HOF

1 Attachment(s)
well fellas - I've kept this project under my cap as much as possible; but I think I've made it as far as I'll be able to go. Was making a run at the complete set of 1939 Play Ball HOFers - got everything done but Arky Vaughan - it appears there's one of them out there; but owned and not budging from another collection on site (congrats Michael!) who has also sealed this run up.

Given that - I figure I'll at least share it with the group. If anyone knows of another Floyd; obviously I'll pick this back up, but for now my cleats on this project are hung.

Pardon the image quality (and the order of things) I snapped a pic a long time ago while at the deposit box.

AGuinness 11-17-2018 02:22 PM

Congrats!! Tough call, but it’s a great bunch and you should be proud. How long did you spend on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phikappapsi 11-17-2018 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGuinness (Post 1827734)
Congrats!! Tough call, but it’s a great bunch and you should be proud. How long did you spend on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

on and off for about 15 years

Hankphenom 11-17-2018 10:14 PM

What an amazing accomplishment! And an incredible collection! How about 1940 next, my grandfather was in that. I wonder if he ever signed one, there would have been six years to do it.

Republicaninmass 11-18-2018 04:37 AM

Very nice collection! Dont give up hope, there are a few 39 vaughns floating around. It's just a matter of time

Baseballcrazy62 11-18-2018 06:31 AM

Truly an incredible project. Don’t give up on finding that last one. My guess there is one out there somewhere that’s meant to be included in your collection!

Jay Wolt 11-18-2018 06:59 AM

Fantastic collection, w/ even dupes like Dimaggio & Ott, very impressive

phikappapsi 11-18-2018 07:10 AM

Appreciate it guys. Feels very incomplete being one card away. Sometimes there's just a moby dick type card out there. When I started this thing I really didn't think Floyd Vaughan was going to be my undoing

canjond 11-18-2018 07:42 AM

Joe - which Vaughn is it you know of? Was it the one that sold this spring in the LOTG auction?

clydepepper 11-18-2018 07:57 AM

Congratulations, Joe! AWESOME accomplishment!

Good Luck searching for the Arky!

phikappapsi 11-18-2018 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canjond (Post 1827889)
Joe - which Vaughn is it you know of? Was it the one that sold this spring in the LOTG auction?

There are actually 2. One sold in Heritage, the owner has been found and is not looking to move it. The other is the LOTG winner. I've actually asked Al to reach out to that winner and see if they'd be willing to move it, no luck as of yet.

Unbelievably, I missed both of those auctions in real time, one with a move/job transition and 5he other with a destination wedding. So the fates have conspired against this acquisition.

Runscott 11-18-2018 10:05 AM

amazing accomplishment.

Lordstan 11-18-2018 01:03 PM

As someone who is also working on a set from that era, i understand your passion and frustration.
Congrats on getting to where you did. Just keep searching. One will come up again somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Chris Counts 11-18-2018 01:43 PM

That's an awesome collection. Signed cards, in my view, are undervalued. As for the scarcity of Arky Vaughan, I suspect there's another one out there, since it's a common card and he lived for another decade or so. The fact that a signed 1940 Play Ball Willard Hershberger exists should give you hope, since he died that summer.

Republicaninmass 11-18-2018 01:59 PM

Still kicking myself for selling that hershberger! There are two of him I believe. Vaughn is out there, just have to keep searching. Heck, there are still about 15 1952 topps which have not been graded yet, there MUST be one example out there somewhere, and they are obscure names.

w7imel 11-19-2018 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phikappapsi (Post 1827919)
There are actually 2. One sold in Heritage, the owner has been found and is not looking to move it. The other is the LOTG winner. I've actually asked Al to reach out to that winner and see if they'd be willing to move it, no luck as of yet.

Unbelievably, I missed both of those auctions in real time, one with a move/job transition and 5he other with a destination wedding. So the fates have conspired against this acquisition.

Awesome collection!!! I know what is like to have that one Moby Dick out there you need...I have wanted a "To Mike" Babe Ruth my whole life and have come up short..Go figure the most common name of several generations and I cant find it!!:(

egri 11-20-2018 11:18 PM

Awesome collection! Good luck finding another Arky, I'm sure there is one out there somewhere. I can certainly relate to the frustrations of trying to find the tough ones.