Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Grader Preferences for Fragile Cards and Tape Stains (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=273916)

kevinlenane 09-24-2019 07:42 AM

Grader Preferences for Fragile Cards and Tape Stains

So i have these "Goudey" cards that i pulled from the scrapbook - they check all the boxes I can find on whether they are authentic and though I suspect Leon and others are probably right that they are not real - it feels prudent to at least spend $20 to get them proven to be reprints. I have two questions though. First, the Ruth is pretty fragile - is there a grader that is more likely to grade a fragile version of the card? Ive seen rejections by just refusing to grade based on fragility from SGC. Is this a common issue? Second, I actually have a couple 1941 Playballs i did not spend a ton of money on because they have some small tape stains - Im not going to try to fiddle with them but I've read that SGC has a 2 minimum on cards w tape stains while the PSA has a 3 minimum. Is that generally the rule there? My feeling right now to go to SGC is pretty strong given the PSA's lack of scrutiny but I also know that a bump on a grade in the Joe Dimaggio PB would be significant in terms of overall value. Then again im kind of getting attached to all these cards so it may not really matter. So the two questions are

1. Is there a TPG that is more likely to grade a fragile card?
2. Which TPG is more friendly to pesky tape stains on otherwise decent looking cards.?

swarmee 09-24-2019 04:47 PM

PSA will also not holder a card they think might get damaged in the process. And I would not expect any 3 as a maximum from PSA for tape stains. I'd more expect a 1 Poor.

PhillyFan1883 09-24-2019 09:48 PM

You could sneak into a 1.5 or 2 but plan for a 1 as the other member said. I have not seen many or any tape stain PSA 3s. They might be out there. I have a 1916 card with a small piece of tape on it otherwise nice in a PSA 1.5..

The goudeys should not be fragile, something in storage could have damaged them, but the goudeys overall are pretty rugged and strong cards.

kevinlenane 09-25-2019 07:22 AM

Thanks - FWIW minimum should read maximum but I'll just expect a 1 and be surprised by anything higher. I'm curious whether they touch the Ruth since it's really just the front of the card...

Leon 09-27-2019 11:03 AM

I am leaning towards the 2 cards talked about as not being authentic but as I have said, certainly not sure. And hopefully they are good. I think all of the TPG's are careful with very fragile cards. They tend to be safe and that isn't unwise. :) That all said, I would try SGC first if it were me. Yes, they advertise here but they were my grader of choice long before running this forum. Good luck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinlenane (Post 1918998)
So i have these "Goudey" cards that i pulled from the scrapbook - they check all the boxes I can find on whether they are authentic and though I suspect Leon and others are probably right that they are not real - it feels prudent to at least spend $20 to get them proven to be reprints. I have two questions though. First, the Ruth is pretty fragile - is there a grader that is more likely to grade a fragile version of the card? Ive seen rejections by just refusing to grade based on fragility from SGC. Is this a common issue? Second, I actually have a couple 1941 Playballs i did not spend a ton of money on because they have some small tape stains - Im not going to try to fiddle with them but I've read that SGC has a 2 minimum on cards w tape stains while the PSA has a 3 minimum. Is that generally the rule there? My feeling right now to go to SGC is pretty strong given the PSA's lack of scrutiny but I also know that a bump on a grade in the Joe Dimaggio PB would be significant in terms of overall value. Then again im kind of getting attached to all these cards so it may not really matter. So the two questions are

1. Is there a TPG that is more likely to grade a fragile card?
2. Which TPG is more friendly to pesky tape stains on otherwise decent looking cards.?

BigBeerGut 09-27-2019 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1919683)
I am leaning towards the 2 cards talked about as not being authentic but as I have said, certainly not sure. And hopefully they are good. I think all of the TPG's are careful with very fragile cards. They tend to be safe and that isn't unwise. :) That all said, I would try SGC first if it were me. Yes, they advertise here but they were my grader of choice long before running this forum. Good luck.

Leon is correct for sure! SGC is much more likely to encase fragile card!

MD

Leon 09-28-2019 07:18 AM

There is good reason for any TPG to not holder a very fragile card. This kind of thing can happen. :eek:

https://www.bst-auctions.com/1919_W5...A-lot5401.aspx

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeerGut (Post 1919706)
Leon is correct for sure! SGC is much more likely to encase fragile card!

MD