Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   world wide gum vs. us goudeys in the 1930's (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=83988)

Archive 01-22-2007 11:37 AM

world wide gum vs. us goudeys in the 1930's

Posted By: <b>fessgreg</b><p>got into a previous thread with someone over this issue. this question only applies to higher grade HOF'ers like ruth,gehrig,dimaggio. while WWG cards are scarcer the collector base is smaller than us goudeys. For prices how do you think it would turn out. Scarcity wins over collector base or vice versa? Would there be other factors involved. Like some WWG cards are BW not color? What do you guys think.

Archive 01-22-2007 11:48 AM

Posted By: <b>Jim Manos</b><p> I think the 1936 World Wide Gum Set is one of the hardest and scarcest sets in the 30's. It is a large set packed full of Hofer's you never see them and they also have diff poses than any other set. Lastly, there are many players that it is there only card(ie...minor leaguer's)Also the set is short printed forsure. The other ww gum set's are easy to find in my opinion. The 1936's are definately unappreciated and should have a much larger premium in any grade. I don't know if there are any known complete sets. I know one set is one card short and a few others at 50% complete....My 2 cents on the 1936 World Wide Gum

Archive 01-22-2007 12:18 PM

Posted By: <b>cmoking</b><p>Comparing prices should be relatively easy by looking up vintagecardprices.com<br />1933 and 1934 WWG HOFers, even Ruth and Gehrig, still trade at a discount to their Goudey counterparts in the same grade. I love both the American and Canadian versions and have complete sets of both (33 & 34), but the fact is simply that the Canadian version gets little love from most collectors.

Archive 01-22-2007 01:55 PM

Posted By: <b>fkw</b><p>WWG cards of stars of obviously far scarcer than the Goudey cards, but the demand will never be there. Most set collectors collect the Goudeys.

Archive 01-22-2007 03:09 PM

Posted By: <b>fessgreg</b><p>Agree with you about the sets. But how about the high grade individual cards. Greg

Archive 01-22-2007 07:50 PM

Posted By: <b>peter chao</b><p>Guys,<br /><br />There are four factors which make a set collectible. The first and most important is the selection of Hall of Famers. Secondly, is the attractiveness of the cards themselves. And thirdly, is the number of key rookies in the set. Fourthly, is the scarcity of the sets.<br /><br />'36 Goudey is weak on the first 3 factors and strong on number four. On the whole it is not a very popular set. Especially when you compare it against the '33 and '34 Goudey's.<br /><br />Peter<br /><br />

Archive 01-22-2007 08:15 PM

Posted By: <b>fessgreg</b><p>with all due respect you may have gotten your sets wrong. the 36 goudey you are right about lack of HOF'ers,etc. but the 36 world wide gum has gehrig and i believe dimaggio. i'm not sure about ruth. if you were talking about the 36 wwg i apologize. Signed Greg

Archive 01-25-2007 09:20 AM

Posted By: <b>peter chao</b><p>Greg,<br /><br />Thank you for correcting me, I was referring to the '36 WWG set in the above. Thanks.<br /><br />Peter

Archive 01-29-2007 07:15 PM

Posted By: <b>peter chao</b><p>Guys,<br /><br />Some say that Joltin Joe's Rookie Card is in a WWG set. If so, which one.<br /><br />Peter

Archive 01-29-2007 07:25 PM

Posted By: <b>aro13</b><p>Dimaggio appears in the 1936 World Wide Gum set.

Archive 01-29-2007 07:36 PM

Posted By: <b>whycough</b><p>I believe the 1936 World Wide Gum Joe D is his rookie card with only the minor league issues being earlier. Lou Gehrig is also in the set. A very tough set in high grade! The 33 and 34 World Wide Gum have, in general, richer color than their American counterparts.

Archive 01-30-2007 05:00 PM

Posted By: <b>fessgreg</b><p>joe dimaggio's rookie card is in the 36 WWG set and so is gehrig's final year. a previous answer to this thread gave joe d's card number. it seems to me by reviewing the board responses the 36 WWG is not a key set though. signed greg