Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   The Many Close Calls of Gil Hodges: (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=251529)

clydepepper 02-19-2018 12:35 PM

The Many Close Calls of Gil Hodges:

I have always been interested in the BWAA HOF voting in regards to Gil Hodges.

I won't take sides, with this thread, as to whether or not he should be a Hall-of-Famer.

Instead, I would like to shine a light on just how close he came...year after year...I cannot imagine how that must have felt.

Consider the following:

Hodges was on the ballot from 1969 through 1983.

That first year, he only received 24.1 %, but for the next 14 ballots, he was always between 40.7% and 63.4%- with 11 of those at least 50.0%.

In his 15 years on the ballot, he was the only candidate in the top ten in votes received to not eventually gain admittance 6 different times; In 8 other years, he was one of only 2 never to get in.

From 1970 through 1981, he was always in the top 5 in votes received; he was 4th six times and 3rd four times.

Peter_Spaeth 02-19-2018 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 1749425)
I have always been interested in the BWAA HOF voting in regards to Gil Hodges.

I won't take sides, with this thread, as to whether or not he should be a Hall-of-Famer.

Instead, I would like to shine a light on just how close he came...year after year...I cannot imagine how that must have felt.

Consider the following:

Hodges was on the ballot from 1969 through 1983.

That first year, he only received 24.1 %, but for the next 14 ballots, he was always between 40.7% and 63.4%- with 11 of those at least 50.0%.

In his 15 years on the ballot, he was the only candidate in the top ten in votes received to not eventually gain admittance 6 different times; In 8 other years, he was one of only 2 never to get in.

From 1970 through 1981, he was always in the top 5 in votes received; he was 4th six times and 3rd four times.

I doubt he knew about most of it because he died in the early 70s.

frankbmd 02-19-2018 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1749511)

Well, that’s a relief. Had he known, he would have suffered.

Aquarian Sports Cards 02-19-2018 06:03 PM

I always thought there should be a category for guys like him, Joe Torre (who is now in anyway) Dusty Baker and possibly Lou Pinella. Maybe they came up a bit short separately as player or manager but when you combine the two... Hodges managed the Miracle Mets for Pete's sake that alone should get him in!

clydepepper 02-19-2018 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1749511)

I feel like a dope for forgetting that...passed on 4/2/72

...but, if he had time to check back in...

-

clydepepper 02-19-2018 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1749550)
I always thought there should be a category for guys like him, Joe Torre (who is now in anyway) Dusty Baker and possibly Lou Pinella. Maybe they came up a bit short separately as player or manager but when you combine the two... Hodges managed the Miracle Mets for Pete's sake that alone should get him in!

Why don't we start one right here and now!

We could call it the TWO PERCENTERS' HALL.

Accepting nominations for The Inaugural Class:

I officially nominate the afore-mentioned Gil Hodges along with three great Cubans- Minnie Minoso, Luis Tiant and Tony Oliva.

Someone want to start an election poll?

seanofjapan 02-19-2018 07:35 PM

He also saw combat in WW2 in the Pacific, probably had a few close calls there too!