Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Pujols (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=242883)

cardsfan73 07-27-2017 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1684768)
Or like a Cleveland fan questioning LeBron. :D:eek::cool:

HA!!

yanksfan09 07-27-2017 08:31 PM

Pujols is beyond a first ballot lock. He's an all time great hitter. Fact is, he's 37 years old. This is how most players play around this age. Some all time greats are done before age 37 (DiMaggio etc...). As a fan I get that weak performance is frustrating but you have to have realistic expectations. At this point in his career anything you get out of Pujols is gravy on top of a long and storied career.

Touch'EmAll 07-27-2017 08:36 PM

I am a fan, an Angels fan. As a fan I have been disappointed with Pujols. Back when, I was all hyped up with Pujols coming to the Angels. I had high hopes of St. Louis type numbers (ok, yeah, all things considered he is a HOF'er). He hasn't put up HOF numbers since he came to the Angels, couple years ok. His recent LOB numbers, well, sigh. That is a big reason why, my Angels to the playoffs, are pie in the sky. He's a BUM! Boo!

cardsfan73 07-27-2017 08:57 PM

To blame Pujols for the Angels lack of a chance at the Playoffs is silly. There are so many issues.. Over paying for aging/declining players and no depth on the farm.

I certainly am glad Moreno stepped up and over paid Albert so the Cardinals didn't get stuck with that bad contract. I am a huge Albert fan and think he is an all time great (and until this season still good) but he was not worth what he got paid.

lrspaulp 07-27-2017 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100backstroke (Post 1684789)
I am a fan, an Angels fan. As a fan I have been disappointed with Pujols. Back when, I was all hyped up with Pujols coming to the Angels. I had high hopes of St. Louis type numbers (ok, yeah, all things considered he is a HOF'er). He hasn't put up HOF numbers since he came to the Angels, couple years ok. His recent LOB numbers, well, sigh. That is a big reason why, my Angels to the playoffs, are pie in the sky. He's a BUM! Boo!

WOW !! He is NOT the reason we don't make the playoffs, where to start though.......Arte's dumb signing of CJ Wilson, Arte's really dumb signing of Josh Hamilton and not re-signing Torii. Mike Butcher being the worst pitching coach in baseball, losing Joe Maddon, no pitching, our out-dated manager........start with those. Albert Pujols is a 100% first ballot HOF player and we over-paid badly for him, but he's not close to being the reason we can't make the playoffs. Just look at what Houston has done....we pissed away our entire farm system over the past 6-7 years.

Sean 07-28-2017 04:45 AM

If you want to boo someone, try Arty Moreno. He overpaid an aging superstar, and you want to blame Pujols? He has performed exactly as a great player should at his age. Just because management overpaid for him doesn't make him the problem.

KMayUSA6060 07-28-2017 06:02 AM

Blame your Front Office for the lack of playoff appearances while Pujols has been here. Might as well blame Trout for not making the playoffs either.

KMayUSA6060 07-28-2017 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1684768)
Or like a Cleveland fan questioning LeBron. :D:eek::cool:

Well played. :cool:

Touch'EmAll 07-28-2017 09:21 AM

ok, don't blame Pujols. He has .233 Batting avg., a .374 slugging average, his WAR is -1.2 (thats NEGATIVE 1.2). And the only category he has ever led while an Angel is GDP, grounded into double plays. And all this batting in a choice and important spot in the lineup and behind Trout. Yup, give me a team full of Pujols' and we would be in the playoff hunt. Just frustrated.

packs 07-28-2017 09:44 AM

Well, who is your ace? Who is your closer? The closest thing the Angels had to an ace while Pujols had been on the team was Jered Weaver, a guy who strikes out no one. I can't think of anyone the Angels have developed through the farm in the last 5 years on the pitching side. Garrett Richards had one good year. Ervin Santana left the year Pujols arrived. There hasn't been much else.