Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Need advice : Cool temperature bag for card transportation (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=319451)

Chuck9788 05-10-2022 10:17 AM

Need advice : Cool temperature bag for card transportation

Hello. I live in Las Vegas, Nevada and want to share my valuable card collection with others. The problem is that it can get VERY HOT outside and in my car.

Do you have any advice regarding a bag that I could use to transport my cards in desert hot temperatures that will not damage my cards and keep them cool?

Thank you!

Leon 05-10-2022 10:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here ya go... :)...

..why not just leave them in the car? If you are outside in 110+ degree weather it still shouldn't hurt them.

ps..I guess over the long term, if cards were in a really hot place the paper could degrade faster. One of our scientist/printing type members should know....

BobC 05-10-2022 02:33 PM

I'm not an expert either, but I think the heat alone is not the worst factor. If you're talking 85-90 degrees, as opposed to 70-75 degrees, is that 20-25 degrees difference really that radical and going to have that big of an effect on the cards in the short term? Of more concern, I believe, is if the heat is directly related to being in sunlight, as the UV rays can easily and quickly do damage to a card's image. Just think back to what cards look like that had been sitting out on a table at an outside flea market. Or of even more concern I think is the heat, in conjunction with moisture. At the end of the day, I believe moisture is a bigger issue when it comes to paper and cardboard, especially in the presence of heat. Vegas is more of a dry heat, isn't it? Paper/cardboard loses its compression and rigidity in the presence of more heat. Leon's suggestion is great though, just grab a cooler. LOL

G1911 05-10-2022 08:59 PM

I think it would depend on the cards. T cards can curl a bit if left in a very hot environment for too long. I don't think there's any actual danger leaving them in a hot car for 10 hours (besides the security risk). Cardboard is fairly resilient to most environmental factors besides moisture.

JollyElm 05-11-2022 01:47 PM

Here's another suggestion. If your collection is comprised of 'normal' year cards like, say, 1950's through 1970's stuff, try keeping a bunch of throwaway cards (cheap commons, etc.,) from those same years outside and/or in your car (in the shade, heavily protected or not, depending on what you want to do) for periods of time, and see what time, heat, weather, humidity, etc., does to them, and then you will be able to know how those factors affect your cardboard gold.

bigfanNY 05-11-2022 06:02 PM

I spent 2 long hot summers in Florida and one thing I picked up on was insulated soft sided bags. If I was going to shop in the afternoon I needed them for anything cold. Come in many shapes and sizes. Got one with Grogu on the side to bring lunch for 2 when I vist beach. Lots of ways to use them. I know they have to be all over LV.
Jonathan

drcy 05-12-2022 01:09 AM

Humidity with the heat is probably the worst. I assume Las Vegas is dry, so that's good.