Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   1993 Jeter SP ... some questions (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=228337)

Neal 09-09-2016 01:24 PM

1993 Jeter SP ... some questions

I am not at all familiar with this card, other than seeing it often on dealer advertisements in the SMR, so bear with me :)

What are the issues to look for?

Does the surface show print marks? It appears that on most every Jeter I have just looked at on eBay (PSA and BGS) there appear to be marks. I also recognize that these can simply be from a scan, as it appears the background of the card would emphasize even the smallest bit of "dust" on the scanner glass, or the slightest scuff to the holder ....

Does the actual image of Jeter at times be "unfocused" or out of registration?

I may be in the market for a PSA 8 level, so I figured to ask the good folks here as to what to look for

Thanks in advance

CW 09-09-2016 01:42 PM

Scratches, nicks, and marks on the foil surface is what it's all about, and one of the main reasons so few 10's exist. The problem is it can be tough to judge the surface of this card from a scan. It can be tough to get a good scan, plus dust on the holder and scanner bed can be deceiving. You'd also want to look for a lower left corner showing little to no white (same with the rear lower right corner).

Rookiemonster 09-09-2016 01:47 PM

It's like a piece of aluminum foil on a thin piece of cardboard . It scuffs very easy, the corner can get dinged just by looking to long . The scuffs are hard to see when not in hand . I once seen one that looked nice but on closer inspection
It looked pitted .

alfredoleal2001 09-09-2016 02:22 PM

yeah like they said the aluminum look to it can easily fall off the cardboard, its very hard to find a 10.......... And by the way, prices of this card have skyrocketed these past few months!!!

alfredoleal2001 09-09-2016 03:37 PM

wow they have kept going up since the last time I checked!!!! holy cow!!! I just checked PSA 9 and BGS 9 and cant believe what their going for!!!

swarmee 09-10-2016 05:16 AM

The other big thing to consider is that the card was regularly cut short from the factory, and PSA will send them back ungraded because of "MINSIZREQ" (it didn't meet the minimum size for this set). So people who try PSA and don't get a grade normally send it in to BGS. Many BGS cards that are 9s won't cross to a PSA 9 because of this.

Neal 09-10-2016 05:20 AM

Thanks fellas, I learned quite a bit .... great looking card!

If I buy one, it most likely would be PSA graded already.

chaddurbin 09-10-2016 09:19 AM

didn't know beckett was getting a bad rep with modern stuff, but it makes sense since the opc hockey sheet cut 9.5s has been going on for years...guess it trickled to other cards.

i'm still surprised at the surge in price of this card tho. his induction won't be for another 4 years, he's not making baseball news anymore, and most of his auto stuff has been lagging...this card is the outlier.

drcy 09-10-2016 09:00 PM

If PSA rejects factory cut size variations that Beckett doesn't, doesn't that make PSA worse not better (in that instance)?

Neal 09-11-2016 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcy (Post 1583692)
If PSA rejects factory cut size variations that Beckett doesn't, doesn't that make PSA worse not better (in that instance)?

Not necessarily, and it doesn't really make sense to me why PSA won't grade them. They have the mylar insert for these examples, and they were not altered

I was not aware that there was a size variance on this issue like I am with other issues that have a size variance(SGC will grade those issues like 1957 Topps and PSA won't)