Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Carl Hubbell HOF inscription help/opinion (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=241377)

jimjim 06-22-2017 07:54 AM

Carl Hubbell HOF inscription help/opinion

1 Attachment(s)
Does anybody know the story behind Carl Hubbell baseballs with HOF inscriptions? I have seen a few where the inscriptions were signed in a different color ink. Did he sign the inscription after-the-fact? Are the inscriptions forged? I thought maybe somebody on this board might've done a signing with him or knows the story. Here is an example. This ball comes with PSA/DNA, but it's a basic cert so no mention of the inscription. Thanks for the information.

theshleps 06-22-2017 08:24 AM

Can't answer but the inscription writer has a much surer hand. If Carl post stroke wrote so small it would be much shakier IMO

Lordstan 06-22-2017 09:28 PM

plus the slant of the date is different from the autograph

GoCubsGo32 06-22-2017 10:39 PM

tazdmb 06-23-2017 07:52 AM

I am not saying it is good or not, but it appears to me the next big thing is inscriptions on baseball, especially HOF inscriptions. It is all the craze right now on FB autograph groups. It wouldn't surprise me if people are buying "common" autograph balls, forging inscriptions (like player #, HOF, and other letters) and trying to make money.

felada 06-23-2017 08:21 AM

Probably because the cost of these Inscriptions has gotten to be so high. For some me signers it is almost the same price as the auto

Quote:

Originally Posted by tazdmb (Post 1673750)
I am not saying it is good or not, but it appears to me the next big thing is inscriptions on baseball, especially HOF inscriptions. It is all the craze right now on FB autograph groups. It wouldn't surprise me if people are buying "common" autograph balls, forging inscriptions (like player #, HOF, and other letters) and trying to make money.

Mr. Zipper 06-23-2017 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tazdmb (Post 1673750)
It wouldn't surprise me if people are buying "common" autograph balls, forging inscriptions (like player #, HOF, and other letters) and trying to make money.

Happens all the time... not just in sports.

If signature only is $50, but with an uncommon inscription it could sell for hundreds more... that's a huge incentive.

And it's pure #WIN for the forger if the item already has a TPA sticker. The vast majority of collectors will never question it.

chaddurbin 06-23-2017 11:15 AM

I've thought about this, like a Ted Williams HOF inscription...but wouldn't the later ink stand out from the old ink? It can't be a match right?

Mr. Zipper 06-23-2017 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaddurbin (Post 1673836)
I've thought about this, like a Ted Williams HOF inscription...but wouldn't the later ink stand out from the old ink? It can't be a match right?

It would be really tough on vintage items. Case in point: The ink does not appear to match precisely on the Hubbell ball above.

But for modern sharpie signed items, it would be very easy assuming there was no fading on the initial signature. Same with ballpoint if you could figure out what brand of pen signed the initial signature.