Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Robert Edward Auction Open for View 2013 Open (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=166850)

joeadcock 04-09-2013 08:13 PM

Robert Edward Auction Open for View 2013 Open

Just looked and the lots are up, though not open for bidding yet. Check it out.

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/

g_vezina_c55 04-09-2013 08:34 PM

Wow a lot of amazing cards.

Jlighter 04-09-2013 08:50 PM

Ok, I found some lots I'm going to bid on.

Now since its not "proper" etiquette to say which lots they are, just don't bid on anything.

Thanks for posting the link.

Shoele$$ 04-09-2013 08:58 PM

Very nice stuff again! I see the "pin hole" E90 Jax is back around for sale, lol. Man I remember when that card was being offered by 707 sports cards 13 years ago. That baby has been passed around more than Kim Kardashian.

sycks22 04-09-2013 09:02 PM

So many great auctions in the next month.

e107collector 04-09-2013 09:16 PM

Auctions

Quote:

Originally Posted by sycks22 (Post 1115304)
So many great auctions in the next month.

+1 - I'm going to be broke by the end of May.

That Famous & Barr Ruth has been auctioned 3 times in the past year. That's interesting.

Tony

ethicsprof 04-09-2013 09:24 PM

Frank

thanks for the alert!
REA is top shelf again and again!
all the best,
barry

jimivintage 04-09-2013 09:28 PM

That's it....I need to figure out how to be rich!

atx840 04-09-2013 09:34 PM

Some really impressive items..good luck everyone :cool:

97manoftroy 04-09-2013 11:27 PM

Wow just spent a couple hours going through the heritage auction..now this!
Is it me or is there a major auction that hasn't had a high grade Lajoie lately?? :eek: Another stunner is in this one! Can't wait'

cozmokramer 04-10-2013 08:04 AM

any price

there is one lot that i'll win at any price!

Sean 04-10-2013 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoele$$ (Post 1115300)
Very nice stuff again! I see the "pin hole" E90 Jax is back around for sale, lol. Man I remember when that card was being offered by 707 sports cards 13 years ago. That baby has been passed around more than Kim Kardashian.

True, but I'll bet it's more expensive than Kim K. :D

E93 04-10-2013 10:17 AM

Ummm, there might be one or two cards I am interested in.
JimB

BigJJ 04-10-2013 04:57 PM

Two 18th century items - the earliest mention of baseball surviving - 1755 !! How cool is that.

slidekellyslide 04-10-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cozmokramer (Post 1115398)
there is one lot that i'll win at any price!

Which one? :D

Rickyy 04-10-2013 05:43 PM

I want THAT one!

Ricky Y

Cardboard Junkie 04-10-2013 06:16 PM

Darn, another auction with nothing I need! (yeah right):rolleyes:

insidethewrapper 04-10-2013 07:12 PM

I need to win the lottery quick ! I hope some of the lots will be broken up by the winning bidders. I need some single cards but not the whole lot on many listed.

Delray Vintage 04-11-2013 09:19 AM

Wow, the usual selection of wish list cards

Love those 1887 cards and of course the unattainable Ruth, Wagner and Jackson. Dissapointed no Peck& Snyder 1869 Cincinnati but cannot have everything. Will bid but have not won anything since 2001 or so when I got the 1887 n172 Mack Psa 7.

rainier2004 04-11-2013 09:37 AM

I was really hoping to see another peck and snyder as well, especially after last years explosion.

markf31 04-12-2013 10:34 AM

And we're off!

I've participated in quite a few AH auctions, but I only got back into the hobby at the end of last April and knew nothing of the AH world when REA was going on last year. I did order the catalog last year and watched in wonder and awe. I'm excited to be able to participate this year with some great lots up.

CMIZ5290 04-12-2013 10:51 AM

Don't know that I have ever seen a nicer bunch of T206s..... One of the PSA 8's (Ed Reulbach no glove) looked very strange however. It almost looks miscut top to bottom, did anyone else notice that?

philliesphan 04-12-2013 04:05 PM

Trimmed PSA 8 T206s

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 (Post 1116583)
Don't know that I have ever seen a nicer bunch of T206s..... One of the PSA 8's (Ed Reulbach no glove) looked very strange however. It almost looks miscut top to bottom, did anyone else notice that?

Fully fourteen of the T206s graded PSA 8 in the current REA auction denote that REA believes there is a "very slight trim" on one or more of the borders. Reulbach is not part of that list.

I'd be curious to know more about the consignment / acknowledgment of these issues, particularly given that a consignor likely would not be ecstatic to have a numerically graded card whereby the AH disclosed that they disagreed with the numerical rating, given, in their estimation, a card alteration. Any thoughts?

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/...&show=1&auc=19

Peter_Spaeth 04-12-2013 04:30 PM

As long as the label says 8 i wonder how much people care. I think the cards will do just fine. Rumors of trimming have followed the Harris collection for a while.

MattyC 04-12-2013 04:31 PM

I thought the same thing-- must be disappointing to the owners to see the card disparaged like that, however true it may be. Actually no hard proof of a trim is being given (other than what our eyes tell us, of course), which kind of makes it worse. No doubt that description will dampen the price. On the one hand it makes me admire the brutal honesty of the auction house, but for the seller... If bought unawares why not take it to PSA for buy back, as is their policy (I've seen it done and done it myself).

Anyways this auction is nothing short of amazing. So many targets! Almost hoping a few sail out of my range so the choice is made easier for me.

CMIZ5290 04-12-2013 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philliesphan (Post 1116707)
Fully fourteen of the T206s graded PSA 8 in the current REA auction denote that REA believes there is a "very slight trim" on one or more of the borders. Reulbach is not part of that list.

I'd be curious to know more about the consignment / acknowledgment of these issues, particularly given that a consignor likely would not be ecstatic to have a numerically graded card whereby the AH disclosed that they disagreed with the numerical rating, given, in their estimation, a card alteration. Any thoughts?

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/...&show=1&auc=19

Marc- wow, I just went back to the listings and read them. When I first checked the auction, I mainly looked at the pics of the cards I needed for my set. After looking at other scans and listings closely, there appears to be cards that are extremely questionable.....

CMIZ5290 04-12-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattyC (Post 1116720)
I thought the same thing-- must be disappointing to the owners to see the card disparaged like that, however true it may be. Actually no hard proof of a trim is being given (other than what our eyes tell us, of course), which kind of makes it worse. No doubt that description will dampen the price. On the one hand it makes me admire the brutal honesty of the auction house, but for the seller... If bought unawares why not take it to PSA for buy back, as is their policy (I've seen it done and done it myself).

Anyways this auction is nothing short of amazing. So many targets! Almost hoping a few sail out of my range so the choice is made easier for me.

Matt- you're right, and there are so many extremely rare commons in high grade ( Reulbach, Schulte, Burch, etc...)

Bosox Blair 04-12-2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1116719)
As long as the label says 8 i wonder how much people care. I think the cards will do just fine. Rumors of trimming have followed the Harris collection for a while.

Wouldn't buy a Harris card...not even with someone else's money. Just my opinion, but I would not even consider it.

Frankly, same goes for a Nagy card. Way, way too many known to be trimmed.

Cheers,
Blair

Jlighter 04-12-2013 05:20 PM

So far, no bids.

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/...x?itemid=24542

CMIZ5290 04-12-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosox Blair (Post 1116737)
Wouldn't buy a Harris card...not even with someone else's money. Just my opinion, but I would not even consider it.

Frankly, same goes for a Nagy card. Way, way too many known to be trimmed.

Cheers,
Blair

Blair- this thread on Net54 has really made me look hard at alot of cards. There are several cards that look very short top to bottom. Not really sure what is going to win out here, buying the card or the holder....

MattyC 04-12-2013 06:24 PM

Makes you wonder, when it was slabbed, didn't anyone at the company see it swimming around and go, "Hmmm." Seems like borderline incompetence, actually. Unless of course there is some natural deviation in either the cards' size to that degree, or in the manufactured slab, which one has to doubt.

I am kind of feeling that Cobb Uzit back. For me, classic case of debating btw going after a tougher back or a higher grade. I do want want of those bat off's in my collection ASAP!

Runscott 04-13-2013 01:51 AM

........ahhhhhh

Bored5000 04-13-2013 07:59 AM

I finally had a chance to go through the entire auction. Beyond the hyped centerpieces like the Baltimore News Ruth and the Wagner T-206, there is just so much amazing stuff. Some of the really neat or amazing items that stood out to me: the single-signed Dan Brouthers baseball, a complete set of 1950-51 Toleteros and the 1910 Philadelphia A's World Series Trophy Cup.

birdman42 04-14-2013 04:25 PM

We've seen that 4-part Boston Garter here a couple times. I hope that doesn't mean Bruce is getting out of the hobby.

And, if I recall the story correctly, Mr. Mint did not "discover" that item. A teacher walked the item into a show, and Rosen was one of the people who made an offer it. Rosen ended up with it, then flipped it for a quick profit but nowhere near its true value. (Maybe someone who's better with the archive can find the original version. I poked around for a while and couldn't come up with it.)

Bill

Bored5000 04-16-2013 10:54 AM

For the posters on here that collect Cracker Jacks, is it standard for stained CJ's to still be graded an SGC 70 like the Matty in this Robert Edward auction? I know third-party grading is not perfect, but some of the low grade Matty CJ's I have seen up for auction in recent years look better than this "70" with noticeable caramel stains.

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/...x?itemid=24906

rainier2004 04-16-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bored5000 (Post 1118390)
For the posters on here that collect Cracker Jacks, is it standard for stained CJ's to still be graded an SGC 70 like the Matty in this Robert Edward auction? I know third-party grading is not perfect, but some of the low grade Matty CJ's I have seen up for auction in recent years look better than this "70" with noticeable caramel stains.

The front of that card looks pretty nice and the staining to the cards is very subjective in regards to CJs. Scoutsout, Jared, is doing all psa 3 and pointed out that psa seems to be tougher on staining than SGC and I would have to agree. It seems once the cards get into tpgs 5's and higher grades (1915s at least), staining is minimal, less than what is seen on the back of this matty. Staining to 1914s seems to detract less from the grade as all those came in a box opposed to the 1915s. Look at that SGC 50 1914 Jax...a beautiful card with a single large and heavy stain. Some people hate stains and some prefer them.

Bored5000 04-16-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainier2004 (Post 1118397)
The front of that card looks pretty nice and the staining to the cards is very subjective in regards to CJs. Scoutsout, Jared, is doing all psa 3 and pointed out that psa seems to be tougher on staining than SGC and I would have to agree. It seems once the cards get into tpgs 5's and higher grades (1915s at least), staining is minimal, less than what is seen on the back of this matty. Staining to 1914s seems to detract less from the grade as all those came in a box opposed to the 1915s. Look at that SGC 50 1914 Jax...a beautiful card with a single large and heavy stain. Some people hate stains and some prefer them.

Thanks for the quick reply. I have been looking for a lower grade Matty '15 CJ for a few months. I am sure that one will go out of my price range because of the grade, but I was kinda surprised to see it graded that high with the stains.