Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Define a "Find" as it pertains to prewar (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=246371)

RealToppsaholic 10-18-2017 03:50 PM

Define a "Find" as it pertains to prewar

Define "a FIND" please

edjs 10-18-2017 03:58 PM

I would say it is a discovery of items or item that has a some sort of value that enhances either the monetary value or knowledge base, of the field or genre that is collected. Just a swag at it.

h2oya311 10-18-2017 04:11 PM

Hmmm...perhaps, with respect to the puffery of an auction house, a card or cards / memorabilia that has not been part of the existing "collecting" community over the past 20+ years. Even if it was collected by someone but hasn't seen the light of day or has been stashed for a long period but is now available at auction - this would constitute a "find" in my book.

ullmandds 10-18-2017 04:28 PM

To me a "" find... is the uncovering of a collection or item or items of value... that are still in the possession of the original collector or his descendants. Basically aside from the family and maybe some friends and acquaintances, the collection was relatively not known to exist.

SMPEP 10-18-2017 04:29 PM

I'll take a shot.

How about:

A collection that contains significant material that was not known in collecting circles (with regard to quantity or quality) and either

1) is a collection that has been handed down through the same family for generations; or
2) is a collection that has (mostly?) never been publicly sold.

To contrast this - what is NOT a "find" is assembling a collection through Ebay and auction houses. Say one had unlimited resources, time and persuasive ability, they could theoretically buy the best copy of every T206 card and back type that exists and assemble into a collection the likes of which no one save the original printer (perhaps) has ever seen. But they almost certainly could not accomplish this task without the public knowing. Hence while it would be a staggering accomplishment, it would not be a "find".

Cheers,
Patrick

oldjudge 10-18-2017 05:15 PM

One rare old judge card. Hasn’t been a find in years.

RedsFan1941 10-18-2017 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1711541)
To me a "" find... is the uncovering of a collection or item or items of value... that are still in the possession of the original collector or his descendants. Basically aside from the family and maybe some friends and acquaintances, the collection was relatively not known to exist.

Pretty well said.

vintagetoppsguy 10-18-2017 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1711541)

Of the responses I've read so far, I think this one best describes a find.

pokerplyr80 10-18-2017 07:26 PM

Pete about summed it up. I'd say just discovering something that's new to the hobby.

icollectDCsports 10-18-2017 07:38 PM

A "find" is when I come home from a card show, only to find out that I already had a card that I purchased at the show.

drcy 10-19-2017 12:56 AM

Having never found a find, I define a find as what other people find.

frankbmd 10-19-2017 06:14 AM

Is a find a find before its found?
I think not, the logic's sound.
In the past, finds were found.
No one knows what's underground.

Future finds are speculation
If unfound, more consternation
If uncovered, jubilation
Risk, reward or humiliation

A searcher's quest may stay behind
without a clue of any kind.
You'll never know, not in your mind,
'cause it must be found to be a find.

DaveW 10-19-2017 11:34 PM

A haiku:

I'm glad we found Frank
He delights us with his rhyme
Yes, Frank is a find

glynparson 10-20-2017 04:19 AM

Fresh to Hobby Material = Find

I believe it is fresh to the hobby material. A significant find, would be either a large quantity of material, a new exceptionally rare piece, or some exceptional condition pieces. Some finds hit on all three. Finds like the Black Swamp, Skydash, or Lucky Seven would be significant but there were many smaller finds made the last few years that got little to no press.

MikeGarcia 10-21-2017 06:45 PM

Skydash.....oh,yeah

Quote:

Originally Posted by glynparson (Post 1712020)
I believe it is fresh to the hobby material. A significant find, would be either a large quantity of material, a new exceptionally rare piece, or some exceptional condition pieces. Some finds hit on all three. Finds like the Black Swamp, Skydash, or Lucky Seven would be significant but there were many smaller finds made the last few years that got little to no press.

...Skydash thread was one of the best everrrr.....the stuff that dreams are made of ...

ullmandds 10-21-2017 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeGarcia (Post 1712599)
...Skydash thread was one of the best everrrr.....the stuff that dreams are made of ...

skydash find was epic...not my wheelhouse but it changed the landscape for those discs.

louisiana find to me was pretty incredible...and obviously BSF was unheard of...E98 will never be the same.

Leon 10-22-2017 08:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by glynparson (Post 1712020)

+1.... I like the small finds as much as the large ones. (unless it is my large find, then I like it better :))

As shown before, here is a small find (to me) ....I had never seen W575-1 packaging before these. All 20 cards that came in the pack were in the lot that was won.

OsFan 10-22-2017 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icollectDCsports (Post 1711615)
A "find" is when I come home from a card show, only to find out that I already had a card that I purchased at the show.

Lol