Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ebay Authenticated - holy crap, I wasn’t expecting this (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=344955)

Fred 01-11-2024 06:03 PM

Ebay Authenticated - holy crap, I wasn’t expecting this

4 Attachment(s)
Ebay Authenticated - holy crap, I wasn’t expecting this

I won an ebay auction that had a graded card that met the ebay authentication criteria. The overall process was 9 days (from the beginning of 2024). The following pictures just don’t do the packaging justice. I mean it’s much better than it appears in the pictures. I’m not a fan of ebay or the ebay verification, but if you had to judge them on the presentation, it’s a “10”. This isn’t an endorsement, just an observation.

An email was received indicating the card would be delivered on a specific day and it arrived on time.

The package seemed nicely taped shut.

Attachment 605018

The packing tape was carefully cut and the box was opened. Inside the box was another container made of sturdy material. It was accompanied by a note printed on premium stock. The obverse of the stock was also nice (same color as the box inside the package).

Attachment 605019

The blue box was removed and it was found that there was a “flap” on it that had a magnet to keep it closed. The white outline indicates the location of the magnet.

Attachment 605020

After opening the blue container (not an actual box because it’s sans the sides) the slab was found to be secured by (4) elastic straps at the corners. The container is nice grade packaging. It’s fairly impressive for being what it is. In any case, I was just floored by the presentation and thought, hey, this is pretty cool, but in the end, it’d be a pain to store the graded cards like this. But it sure is pretty…

The only thing I can see happening bad is if some butt head uses it to display/sell a card that was substituted in the holder with the implication that ebay authenticated that false card. Saul Goodman – this is some pretty nice packaging. Just surprised to see it so nicely done. I mean, DANG!

Attachment 605021

jjbond 01-11-2024 06:08 PM

You forgot to mention the card is then sealed in a bag by an authentication sticker...which may or may not actually seal the bag closed.

boneheadandrube 01-11-2024 06:18 PM

Wasteful

I've probably thrown away 200+ of these at this point.

FromVAtoLA 01-11-2024 06:36 PM

I've actually kept a few of them - they're convenient to have if you're ever doing an off-market B/S/T of a higher end card that's in a slab. I just tape over the ebay mailing label with a new one.
Quote:

Originally Posted by boneheadandrube (Post 2404015)

Beercan collector 01-11-2024 06:48 PM

Yeah I had about a dozen of them and finally threw them away ,
they’re well-made - magnets and everything

4815162342 01-11-2024 06:53 PM

Things have really changed in the last 7-8 years. These past few months I’ve felt like Encino Man trying to catch up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

G1911 01-11-2024 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjbond (Post 2404014)
You forgot to mention the card is then sealed in a bag by an authentication sticker...which may or may not actually seal the bag closed.

They don’t, at all :). All presentation, 0 substance.

Snapolit1 01-11-2024 07:17 PM

Def pretty cool packaging.
I’m sure you realize that eBay could shove 3 $100 bills in the holder for no reason and 80% of the people on the board would find a reason to complain about it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred (Post 2404013)
Ebay Authenticated - holy crap, I wasn’t expecting thi
I won an ebay auction that had a graded card that met the ebay authentication criteria. The overall process was 9 days (from the beginning of 2024). The following pictures just don’t do the packaging justice. I mean it’s much better than it appears in the pictures. I’m not a fan of ebay or the ebay verification, but if you had to judge them on the presentation, it’s a “10”. This isn’t an endorsement, just an observation.

An email was received indicating the card would be delivered on a specific day and it arrived on time.

The package seemed nicely taped shut.

Attachment 605018

The packing tape was carefully cut and the box was opened. Inside the box was another container made of sturdy material. It was accompanied by a note printed on premium stock. The obverse of the stock was also nice (same color as the box inside the package).

Attachment 605019

The blue box was removed and it was found that there was a “flap” on it that had a magnet to keep it closed. The white outline indicates the location of the magnet.

Attachment 605020

After opening the blue container (not an actual box because it’s sans the sides) the slab was found to be secured by (4) elastic straps at the corners. The container is nice grade packaging. It’s fairly impressive for being what it is. In any case, I was just floored by the presentation and thought, hey, this is pretty cool, but in the end, it’d be a pain to store the graded cards like this. But it sure is pretty…

The only thing I can see happening bad is if some butt head uses it to display/sell a card that was substituted in the holder with the implication that ebay authenticated that false card. Saul Goodman – this is some pretty nice packaging. Just surprised to see it so nicely done. I mean, DANG!

Attachment 605021

bnorth 01-11-2024 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2404033)
I’m sure you realize that eBay could shove 3 $100 bills in the holder for no reason and 80% of the people on the board would find a reason to complain about it.

I believe that is an extremely conservative estimate.:D

raulus 01-11-2024 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2404033)

Who accepts $100 bills these days?!!

Nobody, that’s who!

Jewish-collector 01-11-2024 07:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Freddie - Sometimes you just gotta say, "WTF", right ? Attachment 605030

Snapolit1 01-11-2024 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raulus (Post 2404037)

Nobody, that’s who!

I don’t want the free money …. I’m sure eBay is going to start charging buyers for this service … I’ve been saying it since 2020 ….. Just watch…. It’s coming soon. ….very soon … very soon …”

bnorth 01-11-2024 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2404041)
I don’t want the free money …. I’m sure eBay is going to start charging buyers for this service … I’ve been saying it since 2020 ….. Just watch…. It’s coming soon. ….very soon … very soon …”

They actually are charging for the service with one specific item in a specific price range. If you buy a watch in the $500-$2000 range you have the OPTION to have it authenticated for a $80 fee. Watches over $2000 still go through the program for free.

raulus 01-11-2024 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2404042)
They actually are charging for the service with one specific item in a specific price range. If you buy a watch in the $500-$2000 range you have the OPTION to have it authenticated for a $80 fee. Watches over $2000 still go through the program for free.

You heard it here first!

$80 eBay authentication fees coming for all cardboard!

conor912 01-11-2024 08:38 PM

Such a waste.

babraham 01-11-2024 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boneheadandrube (Post 2404015)

Yeah I've thrown away a pile of them too.
A few I gave to my son, he keeps some Pokemon cards in them.

It's a nice presentation, but definitely a little wasteful.

Snowman 01-12-2024 02:39 AM

Based on some similar market research, I believe eBay is paying ~$5 (or just under) per card for the authentication service. That fee will be getting passed on to sellers soon, unfortunately.

jayshum 01-12-2024 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 2404072)
Based on some similar market research, I believe eBay is paying ~$5 (or just under) per card for the authentication service. That fee will be getting passed on to sellers soon, unfortunately.

People have been predicting that since the authentication service started almost 2 years ago, and apparently it's been in place even longer for sneakers without being charged to the buyer or seller. It seems like eBay must be saving enough in having to deal with fraudulent sales that they are willing to cover the cost for this long so it's unlikely that will change soon.

The Detroit Collector 01-12-2024 05:48 AM

It's definitely a nice way to receive a card.

steve B 01-12-2024 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raulus (Post 2404037)

Nobody, that’s who!

I wouldn't say nobody. I'll gladly take any "useless" money you want to send my way.

danmckee 01-12-2024 03:31 PM

Old news Freddie, I have about 150 of those blue cases and reuse the nice size boxes for shipping... Welcome to electricity my friend :)

hammertime 01-12-2024 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danmckee (Post 2404197)
Old news Freddie, I have about 150 of those blue cases and reuse the nice size boxes for shipping... Welcome to electricity my friend :)

Yeah I really like those boxes...I've tried to find them in bulk somewhere but haven't been successful.