Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Aaron Judge (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=235906)

D. Bergin 05-05-2017 12:44 PM

I certainly under-estimated Judge. I understand he was drafted more as an athlete and on his potential rather then his actual skills at the time, as he came to baseball a little late.

Looks like things finally started to click for him. He always had the pop, but just had problems with the contact.

Still, I imagine it's a short term thing with him. He still got off to a late start, and would have to completely dominate for a long time to pay off if you plan on holding on to his cards. Short term, I guess it will just be a timing thing, much like penny stocks.

Also, don't forget. Big guys like him get hurt. He seems athletic now, but it's only a matter of time before back and knee issues kick in and he gets relegated to DH or 1st Base duty.

I'd be happy if he could be our Jay Buhner for the next 5 years or so. Luckily the Yankees didn't trade him for Ken Phelps before he finally blossomed.

packs 05-05-2017 01:08 PM

His cards have really shot up. I looked yesterday and was shocked to see his 2013 Bowman sells for like $400 raw now. I remember considering buying one when it was $40.

yankeesjetsfan 05-10-2017 01:55 PM

Love watching this kid player play. Night and day from the player last season. Slumping a bit from the hot start, but I don't feel that will last long. He is helping in the field and showed off the arm throwing out Billy Hamilton at second the other night. Future is bright for him.

Mike

ls7plus 05-11-2017 04:08 PM

Saw a couple of his games in the last few days. They are starting to get him out consistently with pitches breaking down and in (circle changes from righties; sliders from lefties), with a high fastball or two mixed in. Will have to see if he adjusts. I still wouldn't buy him in any event until he has proven his worth over a large major league sample size, is in his 30's down-slide phase, and the speculative and transient demand has migrated to the newest, latest and greatest hot item!

Best of luck and joy in your collecting,

Larry

bigfanNY 05-16-2017 01:47 PM

Well to the OP I hope you did not listen to us and purchased in bulk 2013 autographed Judge cards back when you posted this. I could not pull the trigger and only have one Rookie Judge auto (Cost $27) and another Woulda Coulda Shoulda story ... GOOD CALL ..
J

ls7plus 05-16-2017 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1658231)
His cards have really shot up. I looked yesterday and was shocked to see his 2013 Bowman sells for like $400 raw now. I remember considering buying one when it was $40.

Ah, the nature of the new card market for up and coming phenoms! Initial demand is primarily speculative and transient, with card dealers bursting at the seams to take advantage of that "must have" urge within us. Better to wait until they are in their mid to late 30's downslide and this type of demand will have moved on to the latest and greatest. Their cards will still be out there, and likely much cheaper (see the Topps 1990 No-Name on Front Frank Thomas rookie for comparison purposes. When first discovered and subsequently popularized in the early '90's, Beckett had it for $1600 in near mint. By 2009, a NrMt to Mt example could be had for less than $600. Just a few months ago, however, one in PSA 3 went for over $2K on ebay. Moral of the story? Buy when demand is lowest, but before the player makes the HOF).

Good luck in your collecting,

Larry

ls7plus 05-16-2017 04:33 PM

Saw Judge hit a 457 footer last weekend versus the Astros to dead center. Mantle type power (almost) with Wheaties box, all-American good looks. Hope he makes good, as it would be great for the game!

Best wishes,

Larry

packs 05-17-2017 07:59 AM

He's got a really good story too. I hadn't realized he was adopted. I hope he partners with some foundations to help out other kids in his situation. We need more Curtis Grandersons and Adam Joneses in the game.

yankeesjetsfan 05-17-2017 08:14 AM

If you guys haven't seen it, Judge made an appearance on Jimmy Fallon the other day where he put on a pair of glasses and spoke with Yankee fan who did not recognize him. Pretty funny.

Mike

ls7plus 05-17-2017 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1662143)
He's got a really good story too. I hadn't realized he was adopted. I hope he partners with some foundations to help out other kids in his situation. We need more Curtis Grandersons and Adam Joneses in the game.

Didn't know that! He was very down to earth, humble and unassuming in his recent interview with Eduardo Perez. A definite credit to the game!

Happy Collecting,

Larry