Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Alex rodriguez - can he be number 1??? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=209165)

dabigyankeeman 07-26-2015 05:01 AM

Alex rodriguez - can he be number 1???

3 home runs for A-Rod last nite. He is still over 80 homers behind Bonds. Can A-Rod catch and pass Bonds as the alltime home run champion? He is about 88 home runs behind Bonds. Even with a good second half of this season, as he ages its doubtful he could do it in 2 years, he would need probably 3 years to pass Bonds. He has 2 years left on his Yankee contract, if he plays decent, but ages, do the Yankees sign him to one extra year at age 42 to try to get the home run record hit in a Yankee uniform? I hope he can do it, because PED's or not, I want to see the big home run hit by someone in a Yankee uniform. You got a PED guy now as the career leader, why not let it be Alex as a Yankee!!!! But thats a lot of home runs to hit yet and he is getting older, can he keep hitting them at an advanced age? Could be very interesting to see!!!! Go Alex!!!

bnorth 07-26-2015 05:28 AM

I really hope not I have hated this guy since he played in Seattle.

Paul S 07-26-2015 07:58 AM

Who knows, Arnie? At this point it's anyone's guess. Your question is really about "Can he do it? And if so will he do it as a Yankee? As a lifelong Yankee fan myself, I am a hypocrite: Down on steroids, but Man, did I enjoy that win last night!

1952boyntoncollector 07-26-2015 08:07 AM

If A-Rod wasn't suspended he probably would of suffered a career ending injury..who really knows but the layoff appears to have done him well ....and its a ? how he would of done if no layoff..

Paul S 07-26-2015 10:06 AM

His layoff was closer to 2 years with the hip injury. So who know what would have happened if he didn't have the suspension and had the extra season to fully heal, at his age?

clydepepper 07-26-2015 12:52 PM

Since the glut of PED use, the record book does not mean nearly as much to me as a way to compare players across decades, thusly records broken can no longer be celebrated nor should they be recognized.

Q: Would I rather see Rodriguez pass Bonds on such a meaningless list?
A: It would not matter one bit- I still consider Hank Aaron as the All-Time Homerun leader.

IMHO, the only two players who have reached 500 homers since 1998 are Ken Griffey,Jr. & Jim Thome. (My apology for not including Frank Thomas follows in later posts...thanks to some more alert folks.) While much of this is educated conjecture, it is impossible, at this point, to determine which performances were legit and which were not. Griffey and Thome's names were never brought up in discussions of PED usage.

Bravesfanjd 07-27-2015 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 1435258)

IMHO, the only two players who have reached 500 homers since 1998 are Ken Griffey,Jr. & Jim Thome. While much of this is educated conjecture, it is impossible, at this point, to determine which performances were legit and which were not. Griffey and Thome's names were never brought up in discussions of PED usage.

I also add Frank Thomas to the list of 500 hr clean since 98

Gobucsmagic74 07-27-2015 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bravesfanjd (Post 1435436)

This ^

clydepepper 07-27-2015 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bravesfanjd (Post 1435436)

I can not believe I did not mention Big Frank. Of course, that makes three.

What an idiot! He's from my hometown, played for my high school and even in the same little league as me...and I did not mention him. Wow!
From now on it's, think twice before posting once.
Sorry 'bout that Frank!

timzcardz 10-14-2015 11:16 AM

Arnie,

No disrespect to you buddy, but I would be happy if he never hit another homerun.

No. 1?

In my mind he'll always be No. 2.

Now pass the Scott Tissue please.

dabigyankeeman 10-14-2015 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timzcardz (Post 1461517)
Arnie,

No disrespect to you buddy, but I would be happy if he never hit another homerun.

No. 1?

In my mind he'll always be No. 2.

Now pass the Scott Tissue please.

But how do you REALLY feel about A-Rod Tim? :D

Hey, he used PED's like most players did, and did some misguided things for sure with lawsuits, and i can understand the hatred for him. With all that, i dont think he is a bad guy, he works hard, he is great with helping develop the younger players, and again, if a druggie like Bonds can be number 1, then i would like to see Alex pass him and be number 1 himself.

Peter_Spaeth 10-14-2015 05:18 PM

I don't think he has 70 HR left in him, but who knows what tricks he has up his sleeve. The 33 was pretty remarkable given both his age and the low power output the last several years. But he struck out more than ever, and looked pathetic sometimes doing so in the games I watched, case in point that last AB against Houston.

minibatsman 10-14-2015 08:02 PM

alex

who cares you the kids? he defines everything wrong in baseball. do you or did you need drugs to do your job.

PolarBear 10-14-2015 08:03 PM

I wish they would expunge all the PED players records. It's not like we don't know who they are. What they did was far worse than anything Pete Rose did.

minibatsman 01-15-2016 11:59 AM

Drugs

Bonds, McGwire, Clemons didn't get the votes and probably never will?
What I hated as much as his contribution to drug use to perform.
Is that MLB allowed him to be a announcer during the world series.
10 year olds don't no about his drug use as a grandfather that watched the series with my 10 year old grand son who asked every time they were talking who is that guy what do I tell him.
I had cards of almost every player that played in the series on the table and the ball players that were announcing the game. and we read there stats
Whats that card worth gramps well that one is $700 dollars. wow he said he must be a great ball player. what do I say to him he knows that I no the prices for them. and because of the value of one card my grandson is a A Rod fan forever?. He is a smart kid and one day he will no what these men did to get were they are today . Did I tell a 10 year old if things get tuff drugs will help you make it through the bad times?.

EvilKing00 01-16-2016 06:04 PM

If he stays healthy he should domit inabiut 3.5-4 years. With 2 left with yankees id bet he goes to another team to finish up