Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Major Auction..Confusing ?? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=271445)

ALBB 07-18-2019 06:49 PM

Major Auction..Confusing ??

Had an odd thing ( I thought ) happen to me in a major card auction

Bid on a tough card... was ahead for quite a few days at about 400 bucks

Got an email saying - you've been outbid......followed by another - Wait..the guy retracted..your still high bidder

Was concerned ,because you read all the time about the shillers, the retractors, the canceled bid guys..and it always sounds shady

So anyway, the auction nearing the end..all of a sudden I see the item I was winning , now Im not..... now a reserve min bid of like 1000 bucks

Where did that come from...Why wasn't that mentioned from the beginning ??

pokerplyr80 07-18-2019 07:59 PM

This auction must have had a hidden reserve. Most auction houses will note the day a reserve will post. I believe it's typical that these post half way through the auction or so. I think it's unusual to have one post near the end of the auction or without warning. But I could be wrong about that. You may get a better answer if you post a link or explain where this happened.

ALBB 07-20-2019 09:04 PM

puzzling auction ??

Im not a big player in the high dollar major auction game..but this whole thing just got more confusing

Now the item I was high bid on..before the hidden reserve jumped up...now is accepting offers on the item..like a buy it now ?? and they are basically telling me exactly what I have to " pay/offer " to win the card ??

It just doesn't seem to me like that's the way an AUCTION is supposed to work

The few times I put stuff in the hands of a major auction house..I had absolutely no control or say of min bid, was not told of hidden reserve, etc..

Its unbelievable.. you sell something in an auction..you take a beating...you buy something in an auction,,,you take a beating

You cant win !

pokerplyr80 07-21-2019 12:11 PM

This does sound odd. I've never seen a major AH run an auction like that. Is Candiman Auctions back in business?

Fjd133 07-21-2019 07:56 PM

Suggest stopping placing bids on the item and finding a new AH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ALBB 07-22-2019 05:49 PM

auction

Im not asking for your suggestions

just bringing up an auction point

Empty77 07-23-2019 08:21 PM

but it's not nearly as helpful unless saying where it happened. there are a couple dozen or so AHs outside of eBay. forum members would prefer an open debate about whether or which are disreputable and to be avoided.

I know the board has rules about derogatory or unfounded accusations, but there is no prohibition about facts. And frankly it's all our money as individuals that make the hobby run in the first place, so for that matter a 'fact' is that we don't owe any deference to those out there that are trying to steal our money.

bnorth 07-23-2019 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Empty77 (Post 1901905)
but it's not nearly as helpful unless saying where it happened. there are a couple dozen or so AHs outside of eBay. forum members would prefer an open debate about whether or which are disreputable and to be avoided.

I know the board has rules about derogatory or unfounded accusations, but there is no prohibition about facts. And frankly it's all our money as individuals that make the hobby run in the first place, so for that matter a 'fact' is that we don't owe any deference to those out there that are trying to steal our money.

Maybe the OP doesn't want to get attacked like the poor innocent guy that is getting screwed by Heritage on the main forum. Seems if you call out anybody for doing something wrong you get attacked. Seems strange to me.