Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Vintage Sports Collectibles - Radio Talk Show (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=85802)

Archive 06-15-2007 08:11 AM

Vintage Sports Collectibles - Radio Talk Show

Posted By: <b>Phil Garry</b><p>I am interested in exploring the possibility of starting up a Vintage Sports Collectibles - Radio Talk Show. Does anyone know if there are any of these that currently exist anywhere in the USA that are REGULAR daily/weekly shows? <br /><br />Most of all, does anyone have any contacts in the radio/communications industry that I can contact to try and get my idea off the ground? <br /><br />Everyone's help is graetly appreciated.

Archive 06-15-2007 10:14 AM

Posted By: <b>Jimmy</b><p>There was one in the Boston area that me and another dealer had an interview with, but the contact and host became not the most trusted person - so we cut ties with him. I think the idea is great and you should have enough to talk about - look at all the websites that are related to sports collectibles news.<br /><br />Take care <br /><br />Jimmy

Archive 06-15-2007 10:16 AM

Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>Have you looked into the operational side at all...ie money to have air time, other general expenses etc.....? Just curious....Seems like a good idea though I only listen to the radio in the morning and afternoon, to and fro work....

Archive 06-15-2007 10:21 AM

Posted By: <b>Josh Adams</b><p>The Trader Speaks still has a show on Sporting News Radio. It is on Saturday mornings here in Chicago on AM1000. <br /><br />As for hosting a show yourself, you could always do a podcast? It relatively inexpensive. However, if you want to have callers, that's probably not what you are looking for.<br /><br /><br /><br />Josh

Archive 06-15-2007 03:30 PM

Posted By: <b>Phil Garry</b><p>Good question, Leon. <br /><br />What really sparked my interest in this idea was a satellite of Connecticut School of Broadcasting opening up about 10 minutes from where I live. Upon inquiring about the cost of a class, I was informed that it is full-time for eight weeks or part-time for sixteen weeks at approximately $11,000. I believe that the class will teach broadcasting much more in-depth than what I am looking for and I cannot afford it anyway.<br /><br />I appreciate those that have provided input and am hoping that someone out there might have a contact in the talk radio industry. I am seeking to do a show on an existing station similar to WFAN for those of you in the NY-Metropolitan area.

Archive 06-15-2007 04:06 PM

Posted By: <b>Rich Mueller</b><p>Phil,<br /><br />It's pretty tough to find an audience on a commercial station for that type of show. The audience is just very limited and unless you could sell it yourself and buy the airtime (certainly possible, but more likely to happen on a smaller station), I think you'd have a tough time finding a taker. <br /><br />Internet radio is growing and you could likely do it from your house without many of the headaches. You'd have to build your audience but certainly there are many outlets on line to do that (including this one).

Archive 06-15-2007 05:27 PM

Posted By: <b>Alan</b><p>Phil -<br /><br />I asked a similar question a few months ago, but got no response. Years ago, a sportscaster from Washington, DC did one on a local radio station, but it didn't last that long.<br /><br />An inexpensive way would be to do a "podcast" - an audio interview with say an auction house rep or a grader, etc,... and then upload it to the internet in a mp3 format. There are a many of these podcasts in every subject you can imagine, except nothing in sports collectibles.<br /><br />Alan