Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   What % of signed cards on ebay are forgeries ? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=211289)

hawaiian bam bam 09-10-2015 01:39 PM

What % of signed cards on ebay are forgeries ?

What % of signed cards on ebay are forgeries ? I ask because I see all the threads here saying autos are no good when asked and I see so many while searching in ebay . So in your best guess what % do u think r forged in ebay? It seems like more and more these days.

HOF Auto Rookies 09-10-2015 01:45 PM

Half

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

39special 09-10-2015 02:08 PM

At least half.

RichardSimon 09-10-2015 03:04 PM

At least half and the number is growing since ebay stopped the pretense of caring by disbanding the EMR team and John Gonzalez (happy birthday John) left.

David Atkatz 09-10-2015 03:30 PM

Meaningless question, as it cannot be answered with any degree of accuracy. (Especially by those who have been decrying eBay as "getting worse" for the last ten years or so. You'd think they'd be up to 100% fake by now.)

Lot's of them are fake. Each must be judged independently. Look for trustworthy, knowledgeable sellers, and do your own homework.

(And, BTW, stop being so lazy. Maintain some standards. Use real words instead of "r," and "u.")

khkco4bls 09-10-2015 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Atkatz (Post 1451262)
Meaningless question, as it cannot be answered with any degree of accuracy. (Especially by those who have been decrying eBay as "getting worse" for the last ten years or so. You'd think they'd be up to 100% fake by now.)

Lot's of them are fake. Each must be judged independently. Look for trustworthy, knowledgeable sellers, and do your own homework.

(And, BTW, stop being so lazy. Maintain some standards. Use real words instead of "r," and "u.")

really D..

egri 09-10-2015 03:58 PM

My theory is that it depends on the player. A forger is not going to get rich cranking out fake Cloyd Boyer autographs, so you're probably safe there, but for big stars and players who died young, stick with reputable sellers.

yanksfan09 09-10-2015 04:15 PM

Too many variables to even give an educated guess. Only talking cards? or all signatures? Star players? no name guys etc...?

I'd assume almost all manufacturer authenticated modern day cards are real. like the topps certified cards inserted in packs. However it gets a little more dicey when you get into the old player cuts that are inserted into modern card creations.

Unauthenticated autographed cards of major stars would certainly be the biggest area of fakes....

David Atkatz 09-10-2015 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khkco4bls (Post 1451267)
really D..

It's the professor in me. ;-)

bnorth 09-10-2015 06:08 PM

I would guess most of the lower end in person/TTM autos on eBay are fake. I have a friend that played with Griffey and Johnson in Seattle. I have got a ton of autos from him and when I compare them to the ones being sold on eBay only about 10% at most are actually his.

Yes nobody autographs don't sell for more than a few $ each but nobody is going to send in a $5 auto for authentication. It is all about quantity. Sell 20 fake $5-$10 autos a week on eBay and that is $100-$200 a week cash in there pocket with little to no risk.

MooseDog 09-10-2015 06:50 PM

Quote:

Exactly this. There ARE quite a few "good" sellers of signed cards on eBay.

It's the ones that seem to have every hot star and celebrity along with a "no returns" policy that you need to really watch out for. And especially the ones that say "I'm no expert, you decide for yourself".

hawaiian bam bam 09-10-2015 06:56 PM

thank you guys, i appreciate your help. i am learning alot from you guys. i always thought that lower end guys, no one will waist their time on them to make a buck a too, but you are right, $1-$2 it probably adds up very quickly. thank you for educating me, i really appreciate it.

hawaiian bam bam 09-10-2015 06:59 PM

David,
you no talk me like dat brah! me no likey you talk me that! you no know me like dat brah! keep straight path braddah! you try to be funny, you no funny!! LOL!

Mr. Zipper 09-11-2015 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1451306)
Yes nobody autographs don't sell for more than a few $ each but nobody is going to send in a $5 auto for authentication. It is all about quantity. Sell 20 fake $5-$10 autos a week on eBay and that is $100-$200 a week cash in there pocket with little to no risk.

I think there are a lot more of these types than anyone wants to think. It's like the Dollar Store for forgers.

There is one eBay seller that has a never ending supply of astronaut signed 3x5 cards. Low priced shuttle astronauts who will sign through the mail for free, yet they are all fakes. And for years he has been selling a dozen or two a week for $3 - $10 each. I'm sure there are many more like this in sports, entertainment, etc.

Obviously some areas and price points are safer than others, but never assume someone won't stoop so low as to fake anything.

jbhofmann 09-11-2015 05:49 AM

Quote:

http://www.replify.com/wp-content/up...and-kettle.png

Couldn't help myself.

David Atkatz 09-11-2015 07:45 AM

Good point.

Exhibitman 09-14-2015 05:19 PM

Quote:

And stay off my lawn!

David Atkatz 09-14-2015 05:51 PM

God damn kids!

thetruthisoutthere 09-15-2015 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper (Post 1451431)
I think there are a lot more of these types than anyone wants to think. It's like the Dollar Store for forgers.

There is one eBay seller that has a never ending supply of astronaut signed 3x5 cards. Low priced shuttle astronauts who will sign through the mail for free, yet they are all fakes. And for years he has been selling a dozen or two a week for $3 - $10 each. I'm sure there are many more like this in sports, entertainment, etc.

Obviously some areas and price points are safer than others, but never assume someone won't stoop so low as to fake anything.

+1

The kitchen table forgers continue to run amok on Ebay.

HOF Auto Rookies 09-23-2015 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 1452593)
And stay off my lawn!

I need about tree fiddy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk