Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   My Whitey Ford ttm experience... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=246892)

Kzoo 10-30-2017 06:24 PM

My Whitey Ford ttm experience...

2 Attachment(s)
Guys............I used to own a couple signed Whitey Ford Bowman RC's that I sent to his company about 15 years ago, but for some stupid reason, I sold them several years ago. :confused:

So, a friend got me interested again in ttm autographs this past spring and I decided to send out some RC's to guys that still sign for a fee.......one of which I noticed was Whitey Ford. I bought a decent RC on ebay, sent it out in April, then waited..........

Now, the word on the street is that Whitey has really bad dementia in his old age and tends to mix up peoples' cards, but I was sure this wasn't going to happen to me :rolleyes:......until I received back this signed 1960 Topps card on July 10th. Frustrated with the results and having only 1 longshot option, I mailed him another letter with a SASE and big scan of my exact 51 Bowman card, asking only for it's return, signed or not.

I was shocked when this arrived today!! It's my exact card with most of Whitey's name spelled correctly, at least. Whether it was done on purpose or not, I'm thankful to get it back.

BillyCoxDodgers3B 10-30-2017 07:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Perhaps I can interest you in its sister piece?

BillyCoxDodgers3B 10-30-2017 07:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Or how about this one? Rickey DO sign, some times better than others!

jimjim 10-31-2017 04:57 AM

So they kept the card on purpose? If they had mixed them up then it would have been sent to someone else, correct?

Sladge34 10-31-2017 06:11 AM

I literally just sent him two baseballs less than a week ago. I'm hoping for the best...

Kzoo 10-31-2017 06:17 AM

i believe...

Jim............After hearing from other collectors that Whitey's dementia is severe, it sounds like he has 'handlers' that may help him with mail requests. I know that at the Cooperstown induction signings in 2016, he was accompanied by 'handlers' that took control of the signing, telling him what to sign, how to sign, and where to sign individual items. Whether it is a family member or some other 'handler' that helps with fan mail, I honestly don't believe Whitey has a mental condition good enough for him to open his own mail, sign stuff, and then return items on his own. It sounds like there's more to the story. Just my opinion and glad someone on the other end located my card and sent it back.

Ryan1125 10-31-2017 07:21 AM

I sent him an 8x10, a 53' Topps, and $80 a few years back. Got the photo back, never got the 53' Topps. I sent him a letter with a picture of the card, requesting it back. He signed the letter, never got the card LOL.

It still bothers me, but it's a funny story!

bnorth 10-31-2017 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kzoo (Post 1715538)
Guys............I used to own a couple signed Whitey Ford Bowman RC's that I sent to his company about 15 years ago, but for some stupid reason, I sold them several years ago. :confused:

So, a friend got me interested again in ttm autographs this past spring and I decided to send out some RC's to guys that still sign for a fee.......one of which I noticed was Whitey Ford. I bought a decent RC on ebay, sent it out in April, then waited..........

Now, the word on the street is that Whitey has really bad dementia in his old age and tends to mix up peoples' cards, but I was sure this wasn't going to happen to me :rolleyes:......until I received back this signed 1960 Topps card on July 10th. Frustrated with the results and having only 1 longshot option, I mailed him another letter with a SASE and big scan of my exact 51 Bowman card, asking only for it's return, signed or not.

I was shocked when this arrived today!! It's my exact card with most of Whitey's name spelled correctly, at least. Whether it was done on purpose or not, I'm thankful to get it back.

That is nice that you got your card back. Did you return the 1960 card so it could hopefully get back to its owner?

Kzoo 10-31-2017 08:11 AM

my thoughts....

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1715650)
That is nice that you got your card back. Did you return the 1960 card so it could hopefully get back to its owner?

Honestly, I haven't thought about that since 7 pm yesterday, but do you really think that 1960 Topps card would ever reach it's owner if I mailed it back? If anybody can truthfully prove that's their card, I'd be happy to reunite it with them, but nobody on any board that I read regularly is missing a signed '60 Topps. Now that you bring it up, I'll plan to keep that card to help offset the 'half signature' I received, instead of the full signature I paid for on my RC. Just my thoughts.

Mr. Zipper 10-31-2017 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyCox3 (Post 1715569)
Perhaps I can interest you in its sister piece?

Is this serious? If so, is McCarver ill?

I can see a dedication getting messed up... but messing up your own name... :(

BillyCoxDodgers3B 10-31-2017 08:43 AM

I'll be charitable and say he's temperamental. This was signed at a paid signing this year. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say that perhaps his mind wasn't on the task at hand. "Cardinals" was on the jersey right above his signature. Maybe he was seeing that and thinking about another obligation, or lunch, and the team name subconsciously traveled from his brain to his writing hand! He can be ornery, but this was a paid signing, so I highly doubt this was done on purpose. You have to feel for the owner of that premium item, though.

(Also, the above examples I posted were not done in order to derail the original thought of this thread, but rather to illustrate how the OP's scenario isn't isolated to just one player or one reason for ruining an item.)

7nohitter 10-31-2017 01:56 PM

Wow, very interesting hearing about Whitey and your experience. I also love seeing players mess up their own signatures....

packs 11-01-2017 07:33 AM

Once me and my dad went to a show so he could get Rod Carew's autograph and he asked Rod if he would sign his full name. He looked at my dad and said, "No, I can't." So my dad asked him why not and Rod said, "Because I don't know how. I haven't written it since I was a kid."

GrayGhost 11-02-2017 07:06 AM

:eek::eek:
Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1715934)
Once me and my dad went to a show so he could get Rod Carew's autograph and he asked Rod if he would sign his full name. He looked at my dad and said, "No, I can't." So my dad asked him why not and Rod said, "Because I don't know how. I haven't written it since I was a kid."

ChiSoxTony 11-02-2017 09:34 AM

Sorry to hear about your '51 Whitey Ford card. I am HIGHLY intrigued by him and McCarver misspelling their own names. I've seen several ball players struggle with spelling words in inscriptions, but I've never seen a misspelled name. Guessing the first is a product of dementia, but not sure about McCarver. Thank you for sharing this.

Kzoo 11-02-2017 11:25 AM

my guess....

I'm guessing in this case is that someone tells Whitey exactly what to write due to his advanced stage of dementia. So they would say 'Whitey Ford', but he obviously must have thought they said 'Whitey Four' and simply wrote it out, not realizing his own name is not spelled this way. It's truly sad and has to be extremely tough for family members to slowly witness this over the years for loved ones.

Stampsfan 11-03-2017 01:20 PM

It may be just me...

Why is he even doing this, if he's in that state. For Gawd's sake, let him live the rest of his days in peace, without family members working the guy.

JollyElm 11-03-2017 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampsfan (Post 1716616)
It may be just me...

Why is he even doing this, if he's in that state. For Gawd's sake, let him live the rest of his days in peace, without family members working the guy.

It ain't just you. Well said.

Mr. Zipper 11-03-2017 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampsfan (Post 1716616)
It may be just me...

It's a valid point, but it may actually be recommended as therapeutic for him.

After he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, Ronald Reagan still went into his LA office a few days a week for as long as he could. He would often sit there and sign stacks of bookplates. It was recommended by his doctors.

Sladge34 11-03-2017 06:29 PM

I joined another website that has players addresses for ttm. As a Yankee fan I wanted to look for older Yankees to give this a try. I sent him 2 balls about a week and a half ago, days before this post was started. First time trying ttm. So I can add to this story if he sends anything back. So far all I know is that he received my package via ups. I left a shipping label in the box and cash with a nice hand written note. Hoping it gets back to me

Sladge34 11-03-2017 06:31 PM

Just a side note, I should have done a little more research, I had no idea he is suffering from dimentia.

Steve D 11-27-2017 05:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just found this on ebay. It's another Whitey Ford, where his last name looks like "Four". Thing is, if you really look at it, you can see how it is probably "Ford", just without the two strokes of the d connected.

Steve

Gary Dunaier 12-02-2017 07:36 PM

Quote:

How did he sign his contracts or other legal paperwork?

Exhibitman 12-04-2017 01:25 PM

It is so sad when it gets to that point. I met Emile Griffith, an ATG HOF boxer, at a HOF show one year where he was deeply into the throes of dementia a bit before he passed away. He signed these cards for me but practically had to be told which end of the pen to use:

https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibi...20Griffith.jpg
https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibi...20Griffith.jpg

It isn't necessarily a case of exploitation, though. There is evidence that it helps people with dementia to engage in activities as best as they are able. It was also clear that Griffith clearly enjoyed the attention and veneration he received from the fans at the show. I am not sure he understood why everyone wanted to meet him and wish him well, but he definitely enjoyed the experience.

The saddest one I ever saw was Jeff Conaway (Bobby Wheeler from Taxi). He was at a Hollywood memorabilia show at a table signing for fans but sat there sobbing about the pain he was in (a spinal injury and opiate withdrawal). No one went to his table...

Ryan1125 12-04-2017 01:40 PM

I've got a TTM out to Whitey right now, I saw he cashed the check the other day and his signature looked normal on that! I'll post a pic when I get it in, hopefully soon.

doug.goodman 12-04-2017 04:18 PM

Quote:

I can't sign my "full" name, either.

Doug

JollyElm 12-04-2017 04:29 PM

I met Dr. Ruth (remember her?!) way back when and asked her to write something dirty on the photo she was autographing. She giggled and gave me a bemused look that said, "I can't do THAT."

Jenx34 12-04-2017 04:45 PM

Feeling Stupid

What does TTM sand for? Through the Mail is the only thing i can come up with....

39special 12-04-2017 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenx34 (Post 1726474)
What does TTM sand for? Through the Mail is the only thing i can come up with....

You are correct.Through the mail

doug.goodman 12-04-2017 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier (Post 1725967)
How did he sign his contracts or other legal paperwork?

I have signed "Doug Goodman" on every piece of legal paperwork I have ever needed to sign. Houses, cars, medical, you name it.

Only once has the bank given me a problem, but when I explained to the bank manager that he worked for me, and pointed out that there was a bank across the street, then took out one of my checks that has "customer since 1977" printed on it and wrote a check to myself for the total amount in my linked accounts, and after signing my name the way I always sign my name, said "where am I banking tomorrow?" the problem went away.

Doug "I laugh at my own jokes, so you don't have to" Goodman

Ryan1125 12-06-2017 06:42 AM

Mine came in yesterday, very pleased:

https://i.imgur.com/udzlvNk.jpg

mr2686 01-19-2019 07:45 AM

Resurrecting this thread. Does anyone know if he's still signing, or is his dementia to the point where he can't?

39special 01-19-2019 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr2686 (Post 1846822)
Resurrecting this thread. Does anyone know if he's still signing, or is his dementia to the point where he can't?

The SCF data base shows a success in Aug.with a $40 fee,with a few still pending.

Case12 01-19-2019 09:10 AM

What is SCF database?

mr2686 01-19-2019 09:34 AM

Thanks Steve. Might be worth the risk of blowing 40 bucks to get my magazine signed.

theshleps 01-19-2019 10:43 AM

they took my $ and didn't sign last year

39special 01-19-2019 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Case12 (Post 1846839)
What is SCF database?

Sportscardforum they have a large database of addresses successes and failures from many different sports

BillyCoxDodgers3B 01-19-2019 06:29 PM

No longer signing. A few returns have come back unsigned with a "Mr. Ford is no longer signing autographs" note written by a woman.

mr2686 01-19-2019 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyCox3 (Post 1847041)
No longer signing. A few returns have come back unsigned with a "Mr. Ford is no longer signing autographs" note written by a woman.

Thanks! Was rummaging my archives and found a magazine I had always intended on getting signed. I guess I can forget about it.

thenavarro 01-19-2019 10:41 PM

That Rickey Henderson ball is really cool.