Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Master set vs. Regular set (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=191231)

Nappy1525 07-22-2014 01:06 PM

Master set vs. Regular set

I'm starting to collect a set of t205s and I cannot figure out what the difference between a master set and a regular set. Can anyone help me out?

Sean 07-22-2014 01:26 PM

"Master set" refers to all the variations, such as the Hoblitzel no-stats card. I don't collect T205s, so you need one of the guys who do so to list all the variations. "Basic" just means one card of each player.

brianp-beme 07-22-2014 01:43 PM

School or be schooled

I believe the definition of a basic set indicates all the different images in a set. Thus certain players in the T205 (Breshnahan, Collins, Wallace etc.) that have different poses, such as Mouth Open and Mouth Closed for Collins, would be considered part of the basic set, whereas team changes (I don't think there are any in T205) or variations in back write-up (such as the various Hoblitzell cards) would not be included in a 'basic' set.

Am I correct about this, or do I have retake Vintage 101 to get my facts straight?

Brian

drcy 07-22-2014 02:03 PM

The master set includes all the variations, while the normal set is just the basic cards.

Master versus regular set is straight forward with Topps and Bowman sets, because the cards are numbered on back. A Topps 200 card set is all the basic cards #1 through #200 (a total of 200 cards), while the master set would include the variations, replacement cards, etc. The master set might have 220 cards.

Also, the card that is normally picked for the basic set is the most common version. The additions for the masters set are usually the rarer, harder to find variations.

A simple example is the 1969 Topps #500 Mickey Mantle that comes with white and yellow lettering variations. The regular set would include the far more common yellow letter Mantle, while the master set would require both cards.

Most 1969 sets you see for sale and auction are the basic sets, not masters sets-- and most collectors are satisfied having completed the basic set as there are already a lot of cards in the basic set. 1969 Topps masters sets up for auction are rare, because there are a lot of variations in that issue, including tough ones.

Beckett and SCD annual price guides list all the accepted cards for the basic and master sets. The above mentioned Mickey Mantle would be checklisted as cards #500a and card #500b.

A master set includes just the finished/issued cards, not proofs, original art, scraps and printing press anomalies such as miscuts, blank fronts and ghosts. If you also want to collect those along the way, that of course is fine.

glchen 07-22-2014 02:06 PM

According to PSA, this is the checklist for the Basic set: Basic, and here is the Master: Master

Nappy1525 07-22-2014 02:07 PM

So the list on PSA the price guide. Is that a master or regular

Nappy1525 07-22-2014 02:08 PM

Thank you very much all of you.

bbcard1 07-24-2014 07:24 PM

I got a set of fronts, didn't worry about the back spelling