Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Football Cards Forum (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Case of 1976 Topps (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=210289)

kevinlenane 08-19-2015 08:22 AM

Case of 1976 Topps

So this is kind of crazy - I started back into collecting after selling a tech company that I started. Since then I've been posting my latest pickups on Facebook. A friend of mine who is the CEO of another company who I used to share office space with resched out to me after seeing my posts and asked me if I wanted to buy his case of 1976 topps football. I corrected him and said "you mean box" and he said no case. Apparently when he sold his company he bought a house and found the case in the attic. He opened two boxes (about half the packs in the second box) It's a case of wax boxes and he thinks there are 15 boxes in it (we have to take a trip up to Jersey once we are both done w work travel to verify) but I think there may be more. So two questions - one, can anyone verify how many boxes are in a wax case? I'd like to plan a bit before we get up there. The second question is basically what do we think is the best way to sell. I've got time to sell one at a time (and grading the boxes w PSA) but I wonder if there is a better route. I feel like the auction houses will come in lower than that total and I know BBCE offers 5k a box so that's probably the basement price but very curious to hear opinions. Thanks!

TanksAndSpartans 08-19-2015 11:45 AM

Sounds like a great find - hopefully others can help - I don't know anything about the unopened market - just from reading the Collector's Universe board I recall people talking about having unopened material authenticated by BBCE, but why them and not a grading company - I have no idea....

S_GERACE 08-19-2015 12:34 PM

Hi Kevin,
If it were me, I'd probably negotiate a favorable commission w/ one of the leading auction houses, hopefully around 5% of the hammer, and let them do the work and sell it all in one shot. They would get enough w/ the buyer's premium. A case w/ Walter Payton's RC in it will get a ton of interest with the right advertising. Try Huggins & Scott, Legendary Auctions, etc...see what each of them has to offer (can't hurt).

I personally wouldn't try to sell them myself because you really have to trust somebody when you are bidding on unopened material and I wouldn't have the name recognition that a large auction house has. Just my 2 cents, hopefully you found it helpful.

Regards,
Scott

jefferyepayne 08-19-2015 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S_GERACE (Post 1443996)
Hi Kevin,
If it were me, I'd probably negotiate a favorable commission w/ one of the leading auction houses, hopefully around 5% of the hammer, and let them do the work and sell it all in one shot. They would get enough w/ the buyer's premium. A case w/ Walter Payton's RC in it will get a ton of interest with the right advertising. Try Huggins & Scott, Legendary Auctions, etc...see what each of them has to offer (can't hurt).

I personally wouldn't try to sell them myself because you really have to trust somebody when you are bidding on unopened material and I wouldn't have the name recognition that a large auction house has. Just my 2 cents, hopefully you found it helpful.

Regards,
Scott

And don't forget to talk to the very football friendly people at BST Auctions as well. They get a lot of great football material and do a good job presenting it in their auctions. All of their principals are members of Net54

I would talk to Al at Love of the Game as well as he runs a good AH too. Al is a Net54 member too.

jeff

S_GERACE 08-19-2015 01:00 PM

Actually, I think Jeff's right. I haven't dealt with Love of the Game personally, but I've read a ton of good stuff about them! I would start there.

kevinlenane 08-19-2015 01:12 PM

If I sell them on EBay - Id get the boxes graded for sure. I haven't seen any boxes on eBay previously for sale so I do think it would be pretty unique. I've already negotiated a two box commission (15%) for doing the work to get him top dollar. Any thoughts on what a PSA authenticated box would go for on eBay if I sold them one at a time?

With my boxes I may even get oacks authenticated and sell them like that if the economics work out but that's if I can resist opening them.

FYI he pulled two mint Payton's out of those 1.5 boxes after he cracked the case.

jefferyepayne 08-19-2015 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinlenane (Post 1444009)
FYI he pulled two mint Peyton's out of those 1.5 boxes after he cracked the case.

I hope he pulled two mint Payton's out ... :)

jeff

kevinlenane 08-20-2015 02:06 PM

Does anyone know how many boxes came in the case? I cant go take a look for a couple of weeks - so it would be good to know if its more than the 15 we are assuming...