Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Nude photos of Babe Ruth ? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=182015)

thebigtrain 01-21-2014 01:34 PM

Nude photos of Babe Ruth ?

I recall a few years ago the Leland's auction of the nude Joe Dimaggio shower photo, and there are also nude photos of Bob Feller and other players in the shower, etc. or horsing around that have trickled out over the years.

In all these years, has a "full frontal" nude Ruth photo ever surfaced? They HAVE to be out there given his habits and such. Anyone ever seen or heard of one?

Section103 01-21-2014 01:36 PM

God, I hope not. :)

Shoeless Moe 01-21-2014 01:38 PM

I don't see a "Post your nude photos" thread going over to well.

thebigtrain 01-21-2014 02:19 PM

Well, say a full-frontal nude Babe Ruth photo was to surface in an old trunk/drawer/attic etc, from say his prime years (1927 or thereabouts), what price do you think it would go for? I'd say at least 25 K and maybe even upwards of 100 K.

prewarsports 01-21-2014 02:38 PM

We have a photo of Gehrig in the shower (but nicely covered by a towel) and a photo of Satchel Paige nude but wearing just his cup (with still WAY too much visible) for upcoming auctions but don't recall any other "nude" images. There are images of Babe Ruth nude but with towel over him getting massages and such, but that's all I know of.

Newspapers never would have gotten these images back in the day, it might have even been illegal for a news-service to send these through the mail in the more wholesome days of photo distribution. My guess is that if anything like this exists, its from the actual photographers personal files of unreleased images and you will almost never see anything like this from an archive.

Rhys

ruth-gehrig 01-21-2014 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebigtrain (Post 1230743)
Well, say a full-frontal nude Babe Ruth photo was to surface in an old trunk/drawer/attic etc, from say his prime years (1927 or thereabouts), what price do you think it would go for? I'd say at least 25 K and maybe even upwards of 100 K.

How about if the nude photo were personalized and signed to a woman who wasn't his wife??;)

perezfan 01-21-2014 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig (Post 1230781)
How about if the nude photo were personalized and signed to a woman who wasn't his wife??;)

The pre-cursor to "sexting" :eek:

ibuysportsephemera 01-21-2014 06:28 PM

I have an oversize photo of the Yankees locker room with a naked (I am pretty sure) Yogi Berra in the background. Anyone want to see it :rolleyes:?

Jeff

Scott Garner 01-21-2014 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera (Post 1230861)
I have an oversize photo of the Yankees locker room with a naked (I am pretty sure) Yogi Berra in the background. Anyone want to see it :rolleyes:?

Jeff

Crickets chirping......

jcmtiger 01-21-2014 08:31 PM

I Don't think so, that was the 1920's, today of course with all the cell phones etc.

Joe

71buc 01-22-2014 12:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have posted this one before but couldn't resist doing so once again. It just seems so appropriate for this rather strange thread:D

ibuysportsephemera 01-22-2014 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Garner (Post 1230898)
Crickets chirping......

That is a good thing!

Jeff

Big Ben 01-22-2014 08:23 AM

At least nobody has produced a photo of the Merkle boner!:eek:

MyGuyTy 01-22-2014 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71buc (Post 1230956)
I have posted this one before but couldn't resist doing so once again. It just seems so appropriate for this rather strange thread:D

Damn, the Bambino is packing! :D

cubsguy1969 01-22-2014 10:43 AM

Well, the Babe always was the best at going deep.

Shoeless Moe 01-22-2014 11:57 AM

He really got some wood on that ball.

thebigtrain 01-25-2014 08:17 AM

It is believed that the nude shower photos of Feller, Dimaggio, etc were taken by newspaper photographers with the intention of being "cropped" before publication, and somehow the original uncropped negatives surfaced (or more likely, were stolen) from newspaper archives or otherwise "found" after all these years. At that time/culture, there would be no fear on the player's end that the uncropped photos would ever be available to the public, in those pre-internet days. Such a thing would have been unthinkable actually given those times and the relationship of the all-male reporters and the players.

I'd bet anything there is a full-frontal nude Ruth out there somewhere, and its just a matter of time until one surfaces. Actually, I kind of think a full-frontal nude Gehrig might even be more likely, as he may have been photographed by doctors, researchers etc because of the disease, although if that is the case it would be even sadder if a photo like that leaked out.

BTW given the Babe's sense of humor, I could easily see him autographing a nude photo of himself. Gehrig prolly not so much.

bobw 01-25-2014 08:48 AM

Close but not nude

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...psf626f91e.jpg